The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Wrong. This is the Sweetwater Guitar Gallery site. Note all the Epiphone acoustics are marked Made In Indonesia on the picture of the back of the headstock.

https://www.sweetwater.com/guitargal...GlwaG9uZSJdfX0

In 2002, Gibson opened a factory in Qingdao, China, which manufactures Epiphone guitars.[16] With few exceptions, Epiphones are now built only in the Qingdao factory.[16]

Unique Epiphone models, including the Emperor, Zephyr, Riviera and Sheraton, are built to higher quality standards than the company's "Gibson copy" line[citation needed]. In 2004 Epiphone introduced a series of acoustic guitars named Masterbilt after a line of guitars of the 1930s. Today's Masterbilt guitars are manufactured in Qingdao, China.[17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertonebetty View Post
In 2002, Gibson opened a factory in Qingdao, China, which manufactures Epiphone guitars.[16] With few exceptions, Epiphones are now built only in the Qingdao factory.[16]

Unique Epiphone models, including the Emperor, Zephyr, Riviera and Sheraton, are built to higher quality standards than the company's "Gibson copy" line[citation needed]. In 2004 Epiphone introduced a series of acoustic guitars named Masterbilt after a line of guitars of the 1930s. Today's Masterbilt guitars are manufactured in Qingdao, China.[17]

For Pete's sake quit using Wiki as a source. The site I linked to shows guitar after guitar with Made in Indonesia stickers on the back of the headstock. My DR-500MCE still has one on it. They are no longer building acoustics at the China factory. The electrics are still made there.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
For Pete's sake quit using Wiki as a source. The site I linked to shows guitar after guitar with Made in Indonesia stickers on the back of the headstock. My DR-500MCE still has one on it. They are no longer building acoustics at the China factory. The electrics are still made there.

Do I need to go to l&m and take the photo

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-03-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 03-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Wow why do I bother posting when every one gonna claim I don't know what I'm talking about. Also my sisters epi acoustic is also China made.

Not trying to pick a fight, but why should we take a new members word over an actual sticker on a clearly new instrument from a reputable vendor?

Words have little weight here unless you have proof or a reputation for being knowledgeable in the area being discussed.

Other than wikipedia, what is your source? Is your sisters guitar an Epiphone or an Epiphone Masterbilt? Not necessarily the same thing.

4-5 years ago, I know for a fact that Masterbilts were built in Indonesia while many other Epi brands were built in China.

If someone questioning you on something this basic makes you this upset, then stick around a while - you are in for a treat.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-28-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Not trying to pick a fight, but why should we take a new members word over an actual sticker on a clearly new instrument from a reputable vendor?

Words have little weight here unless you have proof or a reputation for being knowledgeable in the area being discussed.

Other than wikipedia, what is your source? Is your sisters guitar an Epiphone or an Epiphone Masterbilt? Not necessarily the same thing.

4-5 years ago, I know for a fact that Masterbilts were built in Indonesia while many other Epi brands were built in China.

If someone questioning you on something this basic makes you this upset, then stick around a while - you are in for a treat.

I just came from the music store for god sakes .

Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Talking

Quote:
Wow why do I bother posting when every one gonna claim I don't know what I'm talking about. Also my sisters epi acoustic is also China made.

I think maybe you are confusing regular "Epiphone" with "Epiphone Masterbilt"? Just a thought. I played a "Masterbilt" this week. It said Indonesia. I'm out.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 PM

It is my understanding that Masterbilts were originally made in China. At some point (2010? 2011?) they shifted production to Indonesia (Samick factory?). I think this coincided with the halt in production of most of the Masterbilt line. The DR-500MCE and EF-500RCCE were the only models being produced for a few years. They have recently begun to expand the Masterbilt line again.

I do not know if the quality issues (lifting bridge for example) were part of the reasoning for switching production facilities.

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
I hate when people suggest things you don't ask about but what the heck.

Save yourself some aggravation and buy a Martin DM, the old road series. It will blow both of those guitars out of the water.

I had a slim S6 and it was the best playing guitar I have ever played. Loved the 1.72 nut. Sound wise it was very average to my ears. I played a Masterbuilt Epi 500 and was disappointed. The DM I have is a better guitar than either of them and around the same price. Some people ask more for them but GC has a couple used ones in the 500 dollar range. I even saw a used D16RGTE at GC for less than 700.

+1 on the DM. I sold my DRS2(which replaced the DM I believe)and until now I'm regretting it. The guy I sold it to won't sell it back to me.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM

See china .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 03:07 PM

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500 MCE's are made in Indonesia. I just bought one.

Sticker on the back of the neck says "Made In Indonesia"...

(And I love it.)

Old 03-28-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
See china

see Indonesia

Brand new

What year Epi is the pic above Betty?

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 03-28-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:

see Indonesia

Brand new

Read the sticker in that picture.

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-28-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:

see Indonesia

Brand new

Then it must of been in the last year that they changed. Think they go to Mexico or somewere were little children's hands aren't used in sweat shops.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-03-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 03-28-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:

see Indonesia

Brand new

No clue it's on reverb .

Old 03-28-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Then it must of been in the last year that they changed. Think they go to Mexico or somewere were little children's hands aren't used in sweat shops.

This is a 2016 and new. None of us are saying they were never made in China and they could be now for all I know, but it's obvious that new ones that were made in Indonesia are still being sold as new.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-03-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Edited quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion