The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Default Question about used Rainsong prices

I've occasionally looked around at used Rainsong guitars online, and one thing I seem to notice is that prices are all over the place.

If I ever go the carbon way, i'll probably be going with one of the WS models. And I see prices from close to a grand, to more than $2k for a used WS.

So i'm wondering if there's some sort of rule of thumb about why prices can vary so much.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

There are several different "versions" of the WS model, so I wonder if that is what you are seeing, from the Hybrid model to the Concert models and a few in between I think. You may want to check the Rainsong web site for better clarification than what I am giving ! I just know the prices vary by a good bit when new or used.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
There are several different "versions" of the WS model, so I wonder if that is what you are seeing, from the Hybrid model to the Concert models and a few in between I think. You may want to check the Rainsong web site for better clarification than what I am giving ! I just know the prices vary by a good bit when new or used.
ya, i've no doubt there's multiple levels of models i've been seeing.

I guess i'm more curious as to whether the ones close to a grand would perform similar to the fancier models with paint or whatnot.

for my purposes, I wouldn't at all be concerned with scuff marks or light scratches, so if that's one of the major reasons for the prices, then i'm good.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:59 PM

I suspect the issue is that there are many different levels of construction and trim on Rainsong.

The question is equivalent to asking why Martin Dreadnought prices are all over the place.

In my experience, Carbon Fiber guitars tend to hold their value very well, and tend to sell for 75 to 80% of the new price.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post

I guess i'm more curious as to whether the ones close to a grand would perform similar to the fancier models with paint or whatnot.
My opinion is that the answer is yes, I've played and owned a number of RS's, my favorite is the one I have now, H-WS1000N2 12 fret. Not one of the more expensive models. I think the new (lower cost, less fancy) line just released with the CO top would be well worth checking out. I don't see many used RS's priced much less than they are. Good Luck..... hope that helps a bit.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 AM

Talking

Quote:
I've occasionally looked around at used Rainsong guitars online, and one thing I seem to notice is that prices are all over the place.

If I ever go the carbon way, i'll probably be going with one of the WS models. And I see prices from close to a grand, to more than $2k for a used WS.

So i'm wondering if there's some sort of rule of thumb about why prices can vary so much.
I would say in my experience here in the northeast ... expect 50% - 60% of street price. Having sold a number of CF guitars over the years as part of my learning process ... I have found it a hard sell as you get around or over $1500. Under that I think most people will gamble unless it is a special discontinued model like JM3000 (twelve string) which listed new over 3k but I bought for $1900. My advice is buy low and sell low.. :-) if you can given the niche these models fall into.

I have been following Evan's advice over the years and just writing off the expense as a rental fee. I am sure my wife does not agree :-) Right now I have found the perfect mix for me with JM1000/3000 that have rich and balanced tones and a parlor for intimate finger picking and travel. If Rainsong ever releases a Hybrid Jumbo in black on black that may sway me to sell my JM1000... these models are so gorgeous..... and understated....

Hope this helps....

Chris
Old 03-26-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
My opinion is that the answer is yes, I've played and owned a number of RS's, my favorite is the one I have now, H-WS1000N2 12 fret. Not one of the more expensive models. I think the new (lower cost, less fancy) line just released with the CO top would be well worth checking out. I don't see many used RS's priced much less than they are. Good Luck..... hope that helps a bit.
ok, well that's good to know. I know I like the way they are setup. every one of them i've picked up has been a superb player, including one over the weekend at Guitar Center.

I do sort of wish they made a tighter radius though. the one's i've picked up have been at least 16" or flatter radius. and i'm used to playing a very tight radius that makes finger style nice and easy.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:

I do sort of wish they made a tighter radius though. the one's i've picked up have been at least 16" or flatter radius. and i'm used to playing a very tight radius that makes finger style nice and easy.
Rainsongs are 20". Flattest steel string I have ever played. Capos can be tricky, especially on the 12-strings.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-27-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Rainsongs are 20". Flattest steel string I have ever played. Capos can be tricky, especially on the 12-strings.
wow, I could tell it was fairly flat but that is really extreme.

makes me wonder if there is a design necessity for that.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
wow, I could tell it was fairly flat but that is really extreme.

makes me wonder if there is a design necessity for that.
The original designer built and still builds classical guitars?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber