The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Recommend me a Gibson

So I've got a J50, which I love, and I'm wondering what's next? Do I get the king of flat tops, a Hummingbird, southern jumbo, or something completely different? I've also got a small Taylor so I'm not exactly married to Gibson, but to me Gibson has always been *the* guitar...

I have never really spent any time with another Gibson Acoustic, so I appreciate all comments helping me place the sound signature and comparing these guitars. Unfortunately trying them out before buying is not likely an option. Don't think I want to replace the J50, rather complement it.

What do I need it for? Strumming and picking by my self mostly, making nice noise and trying to play songs from the radio.

I am not looking for a definitive answer here, just some friendly subjective/biased forum-advice to confuse me even more!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:45 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Strumming .. I can't help myself thinking of the beautiful SJ-200.

I don't have one ... but wish I did.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Thanks! It is in fact, for the time being, at the top of my list!

Maple or Rosewood, any thoughts? (aesthetically biased towards maple)

And buying used, how much value do they lose if the neck has had a fracture but been repaired by luthier?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Martin CEO7.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 PM

What does the J-50 lack or where does it not perform well? I would start there and research the models that fill whatever gap you might have.

I have a D-28 that's great for strumming rhythm, a D-18 that I love for its ability to cut through and be heard on leads and a 00-18 that's just fun to play. For me that pretty much covers it. I would like to add a rosewood OM someday and delve deeper into fingerpicking but that can wait.

Of course you can play anything on anything but some do certain things better than others. Maybe consider something with different tone woods to give you some variety?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Advanced Jumbo...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 PM

I have a J-45 and a Hummingbird, both Vintage models. The 45 is pretty much what your J-50 is in build and very likely tonally similar.......round shouldered spruce over mahogany with an edgy, growling sound when pushed and a full, thumpy warmth strummed. This model has an adi top and certainly that makes a difference from a sitka topped instrument like your 50. The Hummingbird is square shouldered with a sitka top. A much mellower sound from this one....... rounded trebles that don't get aggressive when attacked hard. Both are short scale, spruce over mahogany......my guitar build of choice.....but there is a unmistakable difference in how they sound.

Your 50 is also a short scale. The J-200 in maple would certainly be a contrasting tone but the long scale might not work for you. A Dove is similar, being a maple long scale build. I love the tight, clear response of maple but do not care for long scale instruments......dumped a Dove for the J-45. Not a fan of rosewood at all. You'll have to evaluate several factors well to arrive at your second Gibson.

Happy hunting!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagde View Post
Thanks! It is in fact, for the time being, at the top of my list!

Maple or Rosewood, any thoughts? (aesthetically biased towards maple)

And buying used, how much value do they lose if the neck has had a fracture but been repaired by luthier?
Firstly, make sure you're comfortable playing a full size jumbo - I love them but they're not for everyone.
I don't have a Gibson but I do happen to have a full size maple jumbo 12-string and a full size rosewood jumbo 12-string.
Both are excellent, the maple has a more balanced tone and you can strum it as hard as you like where as the rosewood is lusher, warmer, darker with a big deep tone even with light gauge strings.
I imagine the difference between the maple and rosewood Gibson jumbo's might be pretty similar?

Can't help with a 'neck repaired' guitar valuation.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I have a j50. I think a Bird TV or Bird Vintage would be a great addition.

Gibson answer cuz u asked for one.... but frankly I do think a Gibby hog slope is complemented best by a martin rosewood dread.

Anyways... Hummingbird, Martin HD28... both awesome.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:39 PM

an lg 1-2 or 3 would be a nice option, smaller, comfortable, and great sounding in a different gibson way, also they hold or increase in dollar value -sid
Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
S...Do I get the king of flat tops, a Hummingbird, Southern Jumbo, or something completely different?...What do I need it for? Strumming and picking by myself mostly, making nice noise and trying to play songs from the radio...I am not looking for a definitive answer here, just some friendly subjective/biased forum-advice to confuse me even more!
If you want to stay in the Gibson camp but need a different flavor, I'd go with either an AJ or a J-15; I'm not a Gibson guy when it comes to flattops (archtops and electrics are a very different story) but these are two I'd buy without hesitation, especially the J-15 - I've yet to play one I didn't like. As far as the J-200 goes, it's not nicknamed the "quiet giant" for nothing; if you've got a jones for a maple jumbo I'd sooner recommend a used Westerly (USA) Guild F-50, or even the less-fancy JF-30 - IME you'll get far more bang for far less buck...
Old 03-23-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately trying them out before buying is not likely an option.
Then that's a tough one. You need to make the effort to play them (sorry -- I know that can be a real problem -- so ignore if that's really not an option).

I don't own a Gibson -- my Gibson is a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner. But the best Gibson I've played was a custom J-45 contracted by Wildwood Guitars. If you're anywhere near Colorado, you might keep that info in the back of your head. That shop can sometimes work some magic (no affiliation).
Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivel View Post
Advanced Jumbo...
+1 to this^^^. To me the king of Gibson flat tops is the Advanced Jumbo. The AJ Luthier's Choice versions are outstanding IMO.

- Glenn
Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Guest 728

A small-bodied Gibson would complement your J-50 nicely. Check out an L-00 or my personal favorite, the LG-2 American Eagle.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 PM

SJ-200 or a J-185 might be a nice addition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion