The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Default Just got around to watching Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and ...

although it was okay, I was kinda bored. So I kinda started thinking about why because I thought I liked Star Wars and it finally dawned on me. It's the same darn story as all the other ones. The rebels are fighting against the Empire again, or still. So that makes about 16 hours of basically one idea. Does nothing else ever happen in the universe.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM

I enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't like half the stuff I do if I wasn't watching it with my 10-year-old daughter who loves that sort of thing.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 PM

That's kind of what I've heard overall, so I haven't put watching any of the new Star Wars stuff very high on my to-do list.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I'd put it as my third favorite in the series.

1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue One
.47. Return of the Jedi
4397. Any of the Prequels...
Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 PM

Yeah. I don't know how many times you can recycle "turn off the tractor beam/shield" as a key plot point of a movie... Let's count.

1. Obi Wan shuts down the tractor beam in A New Hope so they can escape the Death Star

2. Han and Lea and Chewie take out the Shield complex on the moon of Endor so the resistance can attack the second Death Star

3. Han, Chewie, Fin, and I guess Rae take down the shield on the so called "Star Killer Base" so it can be destroyed.

4. Rogue One has the whole silly Master Switch thing (conveniently located out in the open on a beach) to take down the shield so the info complex could be destroyed.

The prequels were mostly free of such things as they were pre Death Star.

I posted in a previous thread that I laughed out loud a couple of times in Rogue One. And not where the filmmakers wanted me to... Though it was nice to see Forrest Whitaker revisit his role from Battlefield Earth
Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I'd put it as my third favorite in the series.

1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue One
.47. Return of the Jedi
4397. Any of the Prequels...
And by the time it's all over , there will be at least 4397 installments
Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM

LOL, I'd say read the books but they're not "canon" anymore.

As for Rogue One, it was a bit different. Yes, there were plot holes. Yes, there were McGuffins and the whole deus ex machina devices and all that, but as far as pacing and all that I felt like it was a good lead-in to the very first installment. It was certainly a far sight different than last year's JJ Abram's adult ADHD/sensory overload instilling debacle that used ever trick in the book to keep the audience engaged by overloading their nervous systems.

The only problem I had with Rogue One was that it became clear that the original plot was so convoluted that in order to do it justice they would have either had to make it its own trilogy or do what they did: clip out large chunks and sweep them off the cutting room floor later on when the "director's cut" comes out on DVD or BlueRay.

BTW, did you know that they completely changed the movie - especially the ending - not so long before it was ultimately released? Personally, I liked how it all turned out but a lot of what was in the trailers ultimately wasn't in the movie.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM

I enjoyed Rogue One, but I am a big Star Wars fan, so that is probably to be expected. I saw in an above post a ranking of the Star Wars movies, so here is mine:

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) Return of the Jedi
3) A New Hope
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) The Force Awakens
6) Rogue One
7) Attack of the Clones
8) The Phantom Menace
9) The absolutely terrible animated Clone Wars Movie (but the TV show was good)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic