The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Ever been in a movie?

I have a friend who was an extra the movie Eddie with Whoopi Goldberg (1996). I think he was holding up a sign in one of the gym scenes.

While I wasn't in a movie, I actually watched a few scenes of the movie Chasers being filmed at North Myrtle Beach when I lived there during the summer of 1993. What a crummy movie.

I had another friend work as a "Go-fer" while filming The Green Mile at Moses Cone Manor in Blowing Rock, NC.

How about you? Ever been in a movie, or watched one being filmed?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Julia Roberts - Step Mom....saw the filming in Washington Square Park New York....Lots of fake snow on the ground

Samuel Jackson - Shaft...Filming at a restaurant near the Flatiron Building New York.

Nicole Kidman - The Interpreter...Filming on Lafayette Street riding a moped.

Just recently:

Keanu Reaves in Central Park last November 2015.....filming John Wick 2.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM

No, but my house was on a tv show. They filmed part of a Sopranos episode on my street. They had asked if they could film in the house for the episode. Then they found a house down the street that was for sale and empty and brought in their own furniture for the shot. I could not believe how many tractor trailers full of equipment were brought in for what amounted to about five minuets on the show. They were real nice about it and let everyone who wanted speak to the actors and get it out of their system. Then they went about filming at about 2 am. Pretty interesting stuff for sure.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:02 PM
AGF Administrator

Not a movie, but I was an extra as a helicopter pilot on the "JAG" episode "Fortunate Son." I spent 12 hours on set and very little of that was spent shooting, most of it was waiting around for the set to be prepared for each scene.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM

I was in the crowd of spectators for one of the concerts in Honeysuckle Rose, just outside Austin. It was filmed in the Right of Way of 360 prior to the bridge over the Colorado being built.
et al
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM

In the movie Sweethearts Dance, Susan Sarandon wears a Guernsey sweater hand-knit by my wife. Some scenes for the movie were filmed in Vermont, near where we lived at the time.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM

I was an extra in the TV show Pan Am. Six hours to film a shot that took one minute or less in the show

I was also credited as "Aviation Advisor" on a film called SPIN. Produced and based on a novel written by a friend. Jamie Redford wrote the screen play and directed it. I spent a week near Tucson with the second unit filming the flying scenes.

Rich
2008 J45 True Vintage Classic
2008 Martin 0018H Geoff Muldaur
2012 Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Added Trance Amulet p/u
Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

In the early 90s, I was an extra in a CBS mini-series called "The Fire Next Time." It starred Craig T. Nelson ("Coach") and Bonnie Bedilia (Bruce Willis' wife in the "Die Hard" movies). Mostly, I was in crowd shots, but I was selected to open a scene as an armed guard, holding my automatic weapon and ordering refugees around. They didn't pay me to speak, so they added a voiceover, which is normal to anyone watching (but strange and funny to me!).

Speaking of Bruce Willis, at the same time, I was offered an extra role for his movie, "Striking Distance." Foolishly, I turned it down because it paid less than the CBS gig. Later, I learned that it was a small group of extras, and Bruce (and Demi Moore!) held a nightly party with the extras, cast, and crew. Steak, lobster, drinks, music... ugh, still kicking myself over passing that one up!

When I graduated college, my first apartment balcony overlooked a building, where they were filming "Diabolique" with Sharon Stone. A friend of mine was the body double for the co-star in that movie (Isabelle Adjani).
Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Roxanne was filmed in a town nearby. Interesting to watch, but do you ever need patience. Nothing happens for much of the shooting.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Not a movie, but was in a commercial featuring Dave Letterman back in the '90s.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Twice and never saw myself in the movie.

Rodney Dangerfield did an on campus movie at University Of Wisconsin. I was walking across campus toward the student union when I crossed a line, everyone had to sign a waiver and there was Rodney looking both like I knew him from film and TV but also like a little older Jewish guy who could be picking up kids at Sunday School. He was walking around in a sweatsuit. I forgot if that was movie costume or not but it somehow seemed fitting.

When I used to go to San Francisco fairly often one time crossed where was some movie being filmed and you had to sign a waiver to keep going down the street. There were cameras and on my return trip toward the hotel someone was directing the pedestrians. Everything going on looked so silly that I forgot to every pursue what it was nor did I ever recognize it in a theater or on TV.

I did see the Rodney Dangerfield movie but could not spot myself in the crowds or among extras when they were shown.

In both cases there were people running around who were acting and moving as if they were super important and to me they were just annoying. The Dangerfield time was actually fun. It was toward end of day light, people were in a good mood, and many were at the student union after it. I saw him and the filming a few times.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Did a video shoot for ESPN a few years back ... that's me in background on the upright bass.

https://vimeo.com/106651571

and i forgot this bit ... we're at 19:40 ...

Last edited by RustyAxe; 03-20-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Part of the 1995 Sean Connery film 'Just Cause' was filmed in my neighborhood. A small riverside fish camp with cabins for rent was completely renovated by the movie production company in exchange for the location shoot. It was really an amazing transformation of a rather tattered and moribund business into an artistically colorful and quaint attraction.

Connery was around for several days of filming but I never caught a glimpse of him or any of the other actors. I don't believe there was any call for local extras because if there had been my wife who is a huge fan of Connery's would have been first in line.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 PM

I was in my senior year of HS when French Connection was filmed in the Brooklyn housing project where I grew up, as well as the surrounding neighborhood; the "bicycle girl" scene was actually shot in one of the apartments in the building where my wife's grandparents lived, and as a child she used to play in the little park where the rooftop sniper was pegging shots at Gene Hackman...

Little bit of movie trivia: the West End el - where the famous F.C. "car chase" took place - was also featured in the "Stayin' Alive" sequence from Saturday Night Fever; the rear deck of the last place we lived in Brooklyn backed up to the rear of Lenny's Pizzeria - BTW they're still very much in business, and they've still got the autographed 8x10's of John Travolta on the wall behind the counter...
Old 03-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

My son, Chris, and Anthony Hopkins during the filming of Hannibal in Richmond, VA....

Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic