The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Any Advice on Portable Line Array PAs? (BOSE, etc)

I/we currently use 1 or 2 QSC K10 speakers with a small mixer. Set up can be as small as a solo act, but at most we're still a relatively small act - 3 vox, 2 acoustics, one electric guitar, upright bass and a kick drum. We're looking to possibly move to a simpler PA system for gigs where we have to run our own sound.

The obvious place to start is BOSE, but I don't know if it's because they're better or just have the biggest marketing budget. It looks like there are lots of options for portable line array PAs now - even Fender has one. Does anyone have experience with any of them?

I like the price of the BOSE L1 Compact, but I don't know how big of a crowd it can handle comfortably. Or if it would be better to get more than one of these vs. a bigger system. Any words of wisdom in that regard would be appreciated!
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM

You're probably better off with a conventional PA with good low-frequency extension, maybe from a sub, for your application. Most of the products you refer to are intended for the solo singer/guitarist, or perhaps a duo. Inputs are limited, and most are optimized for vocal and guitar frequencies, not for kick drums or bass (I assume you put those through your PA since you mentioned them). The subs included with the personal line arrays may not reach as deeply into the low frequencies as you may want, depending on how you like your mix.

Bose is popular, but many users prefer the features, sound, or form factor of Fishman, JBL, and other alternatives. You'd be remiss in not auditioning competitive products to discover what works best for your ears and application.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:27 AM

The original idea of the Bose L1's was that rather than have a conventional PA system of mixer and L+R speakers, each musician would have thier own L1 column, with sub if required. There would be no need for a FOH PA guy because there would be no mix. And no musician would need their own backline, everyone in the room can hear each musician.

Of course, the Bose line array pods can be used in a conventional mixdown set-up, and there might be occasions when this is the best. but there are an awful lot of options out there if you are going for a conventional mixer plus L+R speakers setup.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I've had my Bose L1 Compact for about 4 years now and I haven't found a room yet that it wouldn't handle. I wouldn't try it for a rock or blues electric band, but for acoustic music it's great. I have played with a bass player running through the system and it worked just fine, but it worked better with the bass player brought his amp. I do love the Bose, but it's best for guitar and vocals.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
I/we currently use 1 or 2 QSC K10 speakers with a small mixer. Set up can be as small as a solo act, but at most we're still a relatively small act - 3 vox, 2 acoustics, one electric guitar, upright bass and a kick drum. We're looking to possibly move to a simpler PA system for gigs where we have to run our own sound.

The obvious place to start is BOSE, but I don't know if it's because they're better or just have the biggest marketing budget. It looks like there are lots of options for portable line array PAs now - even Fender has one. Does anyone have experience with any of them?

I like the price of the BOSE L1 Compact, but I don't know how big of a crowd it can handle comfortably. Or if it would be better to get more than one of these vs. a bigger system. Any words of wisdom in that regard would be appreciated!
I doubt the Bose would simplify things, as it has limited inputs and would likely require a a separate mixer due to the sheer number of inputs needed. Same thing with other small options, like a Yamaha Stagepas (or Samson, which we have) or a Carvin Satgemate. I have heard a LOT of good stuff about the Carvin, but is it easier to use, only ya'll would know???

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM

RCF Evox8.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM

The Fishman PA220 looks like a good lower cost alternative to the Bose L1 variants. I have not actually used one, though, except a brief demo once in a store. I have experienced the Bose units in a variety of venues, and they worked / sounded just fine.

As someone who has done pro audio designs (often using Bose) I can say this: if your unit dies the next day after the warranty expires, they are very hard core about it and will show absolutely zero flexibility or consideration. I've seen that on the consumer side too with their Wave radios. That is why I no longer specify their equipment in audio designs.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:33 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a band with as many pieces as yours use one of those systems but here's my experience with hearing solos, duos, and karaoke acts.

Fishman Solo Amp (I think they call it SA220 now). I heard it in a small, noisy room with solo acoustic. It sounded incredible. Guitar and vocals sounded great.

Bose (I'm not sure of the model--they have several with varying features that all look somewhat similar): The act I saw using it was a guitarist/karaoke/female singer trio type act. It sounded AWFUL. I'm sure the level of awfulness could be attributed to the operator of the system and the performers themselves, not the system, because I've heard other acts use it and it sounded great.

I guess what I'm getting at is that any system can sound good with the knobs turned the right way and any system can sound bad with the knobs turned the wrong way.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Default Bose

I've been playing through a Bose for twenty years and have never been disappointed.
Especially the newer one purchased a few years ago.
But Ive never owned or played through a Compact model.
I currently use the L1, model 2, with two subs.

Expensive?
Yes.
Gets the job done?
OH YES!!

The only drawback is the need for a mixer due to the limited inputs on the Bose.
I use a little Yamaha with 4 XLR's, or an 8 channel Mackie, depending on needs.

The spacial dispersion of the newer model is surprisingly wide.
And it has plenty of power to fill a room.
I have, however, added a "conventional" PA for an outdoor gig, using it for out front projection and the Bose on stage for a center fill and our stage monitor.
The combo worked great together.

And low end?
I use two of the small subs (B1) stacked and have never asked for more.
But the new B2 sub?
My son has one for his DJ kit, and its a beast!!!

Ive never once missed the ElectroVoice/Crown, or my JBL's, or my big Mackie system that could knock hats off folks in the first five rows.

Bose has earned my respect and loyalty, simply because the system works so well.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I've had my Bose L1 Compact for about 4 years now and I haven't found a room yet that it wouldn't handle. I wouldn't try it for a rock or blues electric band, but for acoustic music
Similar story, use an L1C for our acoustic ensemble and it has handled every situation we've been in so far. It's true that the inputs are limited and there are no f/x, but we opted for a small $100 mixer for mics and f/x, which also meets all our needs. Or you can get the Bose mixer for about $500.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The Fishman PA220 looks like a good lower cost alternative to the Bose L1 variants. I have not actually used one, though, except a brief demo once in a store. I have experienced the Bose units in a variety of venues, and they worked / sounded just fine.

As someone who has done pro audio designs (often using Bose) I can say this: if your unit dies the next day after the warranty expires, they are very hard core about it and will show absolutely zero flexibility or consideration. I've seen that on the consumer side too with their Wave radios. That is why I no longer specify their equipment in audio designs.
I'll completely disagree. I had both a Bose Classic and an SA220 at the same time and the Fishman was a totally different animal. No sub makes a huge difference and the Bose was just much better for bigger rooms. I didn't keep the Fishman long.

My Bose died after 10 years. Technically, the power supply died and they no longer have replacements and the company that made them is out of business. I was offered an L1M2 at a discount.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You have a good system.

hunter
Old 02-16-2017, 12:37 PM

I have both the Bose LI Model II system and the Fishman SA220. Only had the Bose for about a year; I got it to handle bigger rooms than the SA220 although it's done really well for me over the years. I've been REALLY happy with the SA, and in fact used it last weekend at a smaller-room gig. Still sounds great. I just happened to see my Bose unit, used, for sale for a good price and jumped on it. I would NOT recommend using the SA220 though for a kick drum or bass. That system is specifically tuned to and intended for the frequencies of the human voice and acoustic guitar. Of those two systems, I'd highly recommend the Bose, but with a bass unit to do your bass and drums justice. Of course, there are lots of options out there -- and yeah, what you're using right now ain't bad at all, I'd think!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know of much simpler than what your are using.

rct
Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
The equipment you already own is the same equipment many experienced individuals would recommend for a band as you describe.

It is pretty hard to get simpler than a small board feeding powered speakers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification