The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2016, 04:53 PM

Default Carvin Mfg quality?

In researching an amp purchase, I've come across a couple of folks saying that Carvin's manufacturing quality (as opposed to audio quality) is lousy. If accurate, that big negative would be compounded by their direct to consumer marketing setup (no dealers for repairs). Does anyone have sufficient knowledge/experience to comment?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:36 PM

I've been using electric, and acoustic amps by Carvin for more than 10 years with nothing but reliability and attentive customer support.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:14 PM

Carvin acoustic guitars are very well made. My cedar-top nylon crossover has been going strong for many years. Their electric T series is beautiful. I can't find too many negative comments about their guitars. Amps, I know nothing about, but I lean toward the positive due to experience with their guitars.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:33 PM

Thirty years ago I had a bud who owned one of those "lawsuit" X100 1x12" oak-cab/cane-grille Boogie clones (should've grabbed one while they were still in production), and I've got an MB12 bass amp (the bass version of the AG300) myself - neither of us ever had any reliability problems...
Old 10-15-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
In researching an amp purchase, I've come across a couple of folks saying that Carvin's manufacturing quality (as opposed to audio quality) is lousy. If accurate, that big negative would be compounded by their direct to consumer marketing setup (no dealers for repairs). Does anyone have sufficient knowledge/experience to comment?

Thanks.
I've heard of two bass amps that a close friend bought that failed shortly after delivery. Alternately, I've bought some of their PAF style humbucking pickups with the double pole pieces and they were of good quality.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 PM

Carvin's customer service is top notch. Their parts support is the best, as you can get every component from them. Carving uses thick circuit boards and you can tell the quality from the soldered joints. Most negative reports on Carvin I've heard come from vendors that can't sell Carvin. My Carvin gear that's decades old still runs strong.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:23 PM

I bought a Carvin AG300 amp two summers ago. Early this summer I first noticed a temperature sensitive noise issue (read about it here).

I found Carvin to be helpful and responsive when I contacted them by phone. I sent the amp back and they worked on it and sent it back. No charge other than the shipping down to San Diego. It works and sounds fine, but I don't know and won't know until next summer when I play on a hot day if its really permanently fixed.

Here is another thread asking about Carvin.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:22 PM

I had a couple of their DCM series amps that went down far sooner than they should have. Over on their forum, talk of failed powered boxes was a common topic as well. Their mixers seem fairly bullet proof and some of their passive boxes like the TRX line are actually pretty impressive. I rate them overall as comparable to Peavey but not quite as durable nor inventive.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:07 PM

My experience with Carvin customer support has been..... Platinum rated. Had issues with a guitar purchased from them. They paid for pickup of the one I had an issue with, sent a new one. I have not purchase electronics from them but based on the Guitar support.... I would rate them A++++.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post

Thanks.

I'll have to disagree, but to a point. I've had the small Vintage 16 amp and modded it for a touring Nashville player. (And, he does tour with the amp and it's an icon performer...it's getting some heavy use.) Having been inside...here's the good, bad and indifferent.

You're not paying boutique prices for these amps...don't expect that level of solidity. (And, even some "boutique amps" aren't built rugged.) HOWEVER, it's not a flimsy pcb that you'll find in some modern day "Of-FENDER"s that I'd never own after being inside them. Flimsy pcb's...even worse circuit traces & pads...awful ribbon cable...etc.

In the V16, the pcb was more than acceptable. I personally don't like a tube socket mounted directly to the circuit board, but in this case...the build was sufficient to hold up.

Out of the box, the V16 was no sonic standout of an amp, but after just a few mods...and, I added a passive FX loop...it was an amazing little performer at just 26 lbs!!! (It's why he tours with it...amp in one hand...guitar in the other...go hookup and play.)

With regards to service, I'm a tech (lots of years experience, but no formal shop...this is part-time for me until I retire from my day job in 4 years). That said, I've never had an issue getting a schematic or some great advice from their support tech. They've been awesome!

The ONLY caveat I see is that warranty work will mean shipping. But, outside of that...any tech should be able to get the info they need to do any repair you require for the amp. Might be some exceptions, but I haven't seen one with my limited exposure.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their amps if I liked the options & tones it provided. What I have found is...since it's such an "underrated" company in much of known music circles (it's not in GC or Sam and you can't hear before you buy except demos on YouTube, etc)...you can usually get a great used deal on your local Craigslist.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 10-18-2016, 03:38 PM

Thanks to all for taking a moment to share some info. I decided to pull the trigger and ordered a Carvin AG300. If I like it, I'll probably order the extension cabinet (passive speaker) and have a nice, modular system.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:26 AM

Default Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I had an old Carvin amp for years and never any problems. I now have an AG200. The AG200 developed problems, heat related, while under warranty. Contacted Carvin, and they repaired. Short time after, more problems. Had just gone out of warranty. They said they would repair since they had just worked on it but that it would not be covered again. Got it back and it has a new problem. Noise for 5 minutes, until warmed up good, then it's OK. I'm stuck with a bum amp. They do not warranty their warranty work!

15 - Taylor 322e 12 fret LTD
10 - Taylor 810e Fall Limited
09 - Taylor 814ce
Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM

I just sent in a Carvin S600b mixer/amp module for out of warranty work. I have the S600b plus three extensions. When I would plug an extension cabinet into the left side speaker out, it would go into protect mode with any volume. The repair is going to be a flat rate of $200 plus shipping both ways. I'll report back here once the work is done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 02:27 PM

I've used an AG 200 for 3 years, daily. So far, zero issues.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just sent in a Carvin S600b mixer/amp module for out of warranty work. I have the S600b plus three extensions. When I would plug an extension cabinet into the left side speaker out, it would go into protect mode with any volume. The repair is going to be a flat rate of $200 plus shipping both ways. I'll report back here once the work is done.

My Carvin S600 exhibited a power supply failure within a few weeks of owning it. I returned the unit to Carvin and ultimately purchased the JBL Eon One for my use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification