The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM

Default tablet for gigging

ok, time to get a tablet as I have an extensive library of over 200 charts now. They are all PDF format jazz and blues lead charts that I have compiled over the past 20 years. All are done in the same format via my sibelius software.
I have been a die hard mac user since 1997.
I just don't want to spend almost $1200 (canadian funds) for the base model ipad 12.9" screen.

any suggestions for a good quality tablet (11" or 12" screen) with a detachable keyboard??
Other than using it for reading my charts, I would do a bit of net surfing and check my emails.

I would likely get a few music apps including fakebook pro, etc.
Any gigging musicians out there with reviews??
All replies will be much appreciated!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Samsung Galaxy View : 18.4 inch screen, under $400.00.

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/ga...res-and-specs/

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:46 PM

I use a Samsung tablet with a 12.2" screen. I didn't even know there was an 18" screen tablet until seeing Wyllys' post. Holy Moly, that's big! I use the MobileSheets Pro app, and an Airturn foot pedal page turner. I like this rig a lot.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:55 PM

And it has a USB port. Mac doesn't.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:04 PM

I use an iPad with OnSong
Not the cheapest option but take a look at OnSong before you buy a tablet if an iPad is a possibility. OnSong is only for iOS but is very handy. I've got over 800 songs in mine.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Please don't be upset with me, but as a working musician I have several thousand tunes and songs in my "meat memory bank". The only thing I use a music stand for is as a shelf to hold a set timer and some snacks.

But I did get a View for wireless mix console control.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 PM

yes, onsong is a great app for sure!
But the bulk of my charts are all scored by myself in the keys I alway's play them and all in a uniform text / format / size in PDF.
We have a 9.7" ipad, but the PDF charts too small for my eyes, especially in a darker room with a music stand several feet away.
Most gigs, I won't play more than 20-25 songs so my library of songs is plenty already.
The mobilesheets pro app for android systems looks like it would do the job well.
I have a couple of weeks to research before I buy so input from you all is great.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 PM

I have been using an iPad with DeepDish GigBook. Love it, but I find the screen small. This past weekend I worked with a music director who had the iPad Pro and I was able to take a look at the music on that...so much better!

He said he got from the Apple Store with 0% for 18 months financing. It came to something like $45/month. I'm tempted, but for me that would all be a tax deduction. So you have to weigh your options.

I also highly recommend a bluetooth page turner like the AirTurn PED. So much better than doing it by hand.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I have Onsong on my ipad mini and Songbook on my Samsung android phone and i prefer Songbook. It's definitely worth a look. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

I'm using unrealBook and an iPad for 3 different music projects.

I like unrealBook for the set list features, Dropbox compatibility, notation and ease of use. Solid and dependable - been using for about 3 years now without a single hitch.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 AM

I hate to say this but, using a tablet makes you look unprofessional. It tells people that you can't be bothered to actually put in the effort required to learn the songs or don't have skills to do so and have to read off of a cheat sheet instead. I would try and learn the songs / chords / charts / scales / licks rather than read them off of a tablet if at all possible.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I hate to say this but, using a tablet makes you look unprofessional. It tells people that you can't be bothered to actually put in the effort required to learn the songs or don't have skills to do so and have to read off of a cheat sheet instead. I would try and learn the songs / chords / charts / scales / licks rather than read them off of a tablet if at all possible.
I agree for certain types of performances but disagree for others. It's not an all or nothing kind of thing. Of course, only you guys know what kind of performances you are doing to know if it's appropriate.

On a side note, I recently saw a performer and only at the end of his set when he was packing up did I even notice he had a tablet. It's not like he was playing directly from it.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
My memory is fantastic.... but short
( hard for me to play Coltranes "giant steps" without a chart in front of me)
All of my charts are all written and re arranged by myself before we start rehearsing. Even the jazz standards and covers we do, I also re arrange so I can get the music onto a one page chart ( in almost all cases). I am aware of the auto page turner devises, but my charts are done intentionally onto one page to try and avoid page turning.
I must say, although ipad's are priced so high, they do work well. I never hear any complaints about them other then the cost. I see that the ipad is still preferred in the discussion here as well..
Will do my best this weekend to weigh all the options as the cost is not the main issue, just want to see if there is something similar in user quality.
Anyone use the new Google Pixel C tablet?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I hate to say this but, using a tablet makes you look unprofessional.
As does performing in a coffeehouse for beans, a bar for tips or any other venue taking advantage of the hobbyist to say nothing about the lowering of the wage scale for full-timers.

Flame suit on...

Old 10-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure I agree...a lot of pros use teleprompters...some use ipads like Mike Nesmith. Personally, I do 4 hour gigs 4-5 a week where I have to change it up a bit. So while I have 250 plus songs on my set list, I need to constantly learn new songs. So using "Songbook" on my phone is both discreet and very helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write