The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benybrady View Post
Thx Bill and you are correct in the added confusion. Thx for your insight in the differences. It's actually an OM-03RE....so they are both rosewood back and side. But it sounds like 50/50 and can't really go wrong with either. Got to hurry and pull the plug before my wife wonders why my cases are stacked taller than her.
Ah, an OM-03RE adds a different flavor to the whole discussion. I had a K&K Pure Western Mini pickup installed in my OM-21 and love the way it sounds. One thing to consider, or at least this was true with my L-03R with a pickup--I got a little "brush, brush" sound from the sleeve of my right arm against the guitar top when plugged in. Some folks buff out the satin.

Best to you in your choice. You'll have a fine guitar either way. Let us know which way you go. At any rate, the music in the end is more important than the gear.

Bill
Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 AM

Quite interesting that I also am caught between the two instruments in discussion. Difference is that there is $600 difference between the two, used. Would the OM21 be more of an investment for the $600 difference? This will be used for leading praise...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Quite interesting that I also am caught between the two instruments in discussion. Difference is that there is $600 difference between the two, used. Would the OM21 be more of an investment for the $600 difference? This will be used for leading praise...
It seems we are intermixing Larrivee's OM-03 (sapele b/s) and OM-03R (rosewood b/s) throughout the thread. I've not played an OM-03, but I did own an OM-03R, and the OM-03R costs a little more than the OM-03.

Regardless, if one is considering either the OM-03 or OM-03R or Martin OM-21, it all boils down to just a few things: tone (the primary thing to me), satin or gloss finish (I prefer gloss, others prefer satin), neck profile (either is fine to me, though some prefer one or the other), and bridge string spacing (2 3/16" on the Larrivee and 2 1/4" on the Martin). For me, I prefer the Martin tone, gloss over satin, and 2 1/4" string spacing over 2 3/16" for my fledgling attempt at learning fingerstyle.

Any of these guitars will do well in leading worship. I take it you're referring to a large group setting where amplification is needed. I do find more volume in the OM-21, but with amplification that's a non-issue, IMO. It all boils down to what one wants.

I initially bought an L-03R that I later traded with an AGF member for an OM-03R. I had a thing against buying a Martin because I didn't want to be accused of buying for the name on the headstock, and I really like Larrivee as a company. The OM-03R just didn't have the lower end in tone that I wanted, so I eventually overcame my aversion to buying a Martin (silly, I know) and bought a used OM-21 in great condition from a UMGF member in Denver. I've been very happy with it.

As seen in this thread, we have AGF members who love their OM-03/03R guitars, and some prefer them over the OM-21. To each his own. The music is more important than the gear, so play what has the sound and playability you like.

Bill
Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
The music is more important than the gear, so play what has the sound and playability you like.
A very good point, often lost in the endless discussions of guitar "tone."
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Yes, thank you for your detailed explanation it's very helpful. I agree that tone is what I am searching for and since these two guitars aren't located very close by and with my GAS problem, I sought after the wisdom and experience of a fellow AGF members. I guess I should just stop being lazy and go drive out there to check it out.

I do actually prefer the mid range more and have been seeking cedar topped guitars. A friend of mine has the 500 series Taylor with cedar/mahogany combo which the tone I'm going after.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, thank you for your detailed explanation it's very helpful. I agree that tone is what I am searching for and since these two guitars aren't located very close by and with my GAS problem, I sought after the wisdom and experience of a fellow AGF members. I guess I should just stop being lazy and go drive out there to check it out.

I do actually prefer the mid range more and have been seeking cedar topped guitars. A friend of mine has the 500 series Taylor with cedar/mahogany combo which the tone I'm going after.
If the Taylor cedar/mahogany has the tone you're after, my advice is not to settle for less to save some money. It will end up costing more because you won't be content till you get what satisfies the itch. I know from hard experience.

Bill
Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I've done this exact search; looking for the cedar/mahogany tone of the 500 series (specifically the 514ce). After many false starts, I've come come to the conclusion that that particular Taylor tone (514ce) can only be had with a genuine Taylor 514ce. The good news is that the 514Ce is not that far away from the price of the OM-21
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 AM

wow really? Does the OM21 give some mid range as well or not at all? I've heard that Martins do give a lot of bottom end despite the Spruce/Rosewood combo.

I just saw a OM21 for $1100 but I've never seen a 514 at that price range...
Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Default A man can't have too many guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benybrady View Post
Thx Bill and you are correct in the added confusion. Thx for your insight in the differences. It's actually an OM-03RE....so they are both rosewood back and side. But it sounds like 50/50 and can't really go wrong with either. Got to hurry and pull the plug before my wife wonders why my cases are stacked taller than her.
One of the advantages of being single!! Stack away!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Cedar

Quote:

I'm a fan of cedar; my Seagull 12-string has a sweet warm tone with its cedar top.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:57 PM

I've owned both OM-21 and OM-03 (albeit all mahogany) and kept the Martin. I actually love Larrivees and own several but my OM-21 plays and sounds great. I highly recommend one.
On the other hand, the Larrivee OM-40R is well thought of and may sound more like the OM-21.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Both great

Just acquired a 2014 OM-21 and it's a dandy. Basically an OM-28 without the bells and whistles. Now I don't have a Larrivee OM-03, mine's an OM-02, but a fine guitar, bluesier tone than the Martin, with maybe less volume. Bottom line is both are fine guitars. This Martin is a wonderful addition to the herd, a good replacement for my '77 D-35 that was getting bigger and bigger in my arms and getting less and less playing time as the OM's and OOO's gained my favor. It went off to Chicago in a swap for a Limited Edition Taylor OM with Koa back and sides that is a true sparkler. So many guitars, so little time.

2015 Taylor 324CE SEB
2013 Bedell MB28G
2005 Seagull Coastline S-12
2004 Fender Robert Cray Artist Strat
2010 Fender American Special Strat
2016 G&L ASAT Tribute Tele
2016 Epiphone ES-339 Pro P-90
1984 Yamaha MB-II bass
Old 03-29-2017, 11:32 AM

Good for you, Michael. My OM-21 is pre-2012 (2005, to be exact), and I like it as much now at when I bought it in '09.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM

I have a 2015 OM-21 which I like very much. However, the one guitar that I've ever regretted selling was an OM-03W. I'd trade back today with considerable to boot if I could.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
I've owned both OM-21 and OM-03 (albeit all mahogany) and kept the Martin. I actually love Larrivees and own several but my OM-21 plays and sounds great. I highly recommend one.
On the other hand, the Larrivee OM-40R is well thought of and may sound more like the OM-21.
I concur. The new Larrivees have me intrigued - even though I'll likely be buried with my OM-03R. I've never been a fan of Martin OMs ever since I got my Larrivee. Bear in mind though, I had it set up with mediums and swapped the tusq saddle and nut for bone. The former increased the volume and the latter made the tone "warmer" (took out the brittle overtones on the trebles.) Plugged in with a K&K PWM there's plenty of bass. I wouldn't call the tone "boxy" so much as "balanced" because the D and G strings are just as loud as the surrounding strings. It did seem to be "tight" at first, but after about a year it opened up and has rung like a bell ever since.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion