The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Default When you know you have a great guitar

Recently, I played for Wednesday evening service, opening up the study with one song. The setting was in the old sanctuary, a standard church room with seating for about 50 or so. There was no need for amplification as the room was small enough for any instrument to be heard. Anyway, I played, sang and finger-picked out a standard tune on my Wingert model E. I almost lost my place in the middle as that guitar was singing, I distinctly remember saying to myself, wow, it was singing like the angels (no pun intended), I had just put new strings on it. So after service, many people came up to me as I was packing up and they didn't comment on my playing or my singing, all they could do is comment on the sound that came out of that instrument. Where did you get something like that? That guitar sounded absolutely wonderful. Is that a hand made guitar? That guitar is special. Comments like that. Just thought I would share that with everyone.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 AM

That's awesome. Must have been a good feeling.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluidity View Post
Recently, I played for Wednesday evening service, opening up the study with one song. The setting was in the old sanctuary, a standard church room with seating for about 50 or so. There was no need for amplification as the room was small enough for any instrument to be heard. Anyway, I played, sang and finger-picked out a standard tune on my Wingert model E. I almost lost my place in the middle as that guitar was singing, I distinctly remember saying to myself, wow, it was singing like the angels (no pun intended), I had just put new strings on it. So after service, many people came up to me as I was packing up and they didn't comment on my playing or my singing, all they could do is comment on the sound that came out of that instrument. Where did you get something like that? That guitar sounded absolutely wonderful. Is that a hand made guitar? That guitar is special. Comments like that. Just thought I would share that with everyone.
Incredibly cool! And you know that, baked into their compliments, were nice things about your playing. That wonderful guitar can't do anything without a decent operator!!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Guest 728

Yup. There are definitely some magical instruments out there that transcend the player's input. With my Waterloo, sometimes I find myself playing the same little fingerstyle riff over and over again, marveling at the amazing sound my guitar is putting out. Whether it's the construction or materials I can't say, but it does seem that handmade guitars are somehow more likely to possess that quality.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM

Playing a great acoustic instrument in a venue with great acoustics is really... great!!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Incredibly cool! And you know that, baked into their compliments, were nice things about your playing. That wonderful guitar can't do anything without a decent operator!!
Yes, I do get compliments on my picking. I come from the Clapton school of 'slow hand', in that a perfectly placed note is worth much more than 8 strangely put notes. But, most of the time I respond with 'this guitar would make anyone sound good', and the more I play it the more I truly believe it. I don't mind, in any way, her taking the show every time. One of my points is that this guitar, like so many wonderful guitars out there, is only limited to my ability. I have been truly blessed. I read a post yesterday stating that the player is saving up for the right guitar, that is what I did, I saved up until I had the extra cash, whereas before I would let GAS take over. I put her on the market because I was in need of cash, but have since taken her off the market in hopes of being able to keep her. As everyone knows, Kathy Wingert (and many others) do not come inexpensive.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluidity View Post
You should share it with Kathy.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great story!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 PM

When you know you have a great guitar - If it says Wingert on the headstock nothing else is required.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Great story. There is nothing like repeated affirmation for a guitar you truly love.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 AM

It sounds to me like you are becoming a proficient player, and you are feeling your music rather than just playing notes. This is when it all becomes really fun... congratulations.

PS: On the grand spectrum of quality in tone and playability, Wingert's must be way up there near the top.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
It sounds to me like you are becoming a proficient player, and you are feeling your music rather than just playing notes. This is when it all becomes really fun... congratulations.
Thanks, actually, I spend some time picking out the various layout of the melody line, then I try and build my finger picking around that line. Sometimes I play the melody along with the lyrics, other times I just let the lyrics do the melody. If at all possible the emphasis is on the finger that has the melody line, and when you find a guitar that does the same thing, well...yes it is fun. And you are right, it took me years to figure that out. I gave up trying to be the best guitar player in the world, just the best player I can be. One thing I have noticed about this Kathy Wingert, is the fact that, every string, no matter where you are on the board, is prominent, if you want it to be. Not just overtones in harmonics, but in accompaniment to each other. It can be like playing three guitars at the same time. It can be forgiving too, it is hard to explain but you get the idea I think.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Very nice story... thanks for sharing. I know that made you feel good. You must have sounded pretty fine!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:39 AM

There is a parking garage at Ohio State University that the stairwell going to different levels just had this amazing sound to it even with your feet walking it resonated so I remember getting my guitar and taking it there and playing it in the stairway it sounded like I was playing in a cathedral
Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 PM

I feel very privileged to have played, and own, instruments that can just change your perception of how good a guitar can be. There are many good guitars for sale, with which almost everyone will be perfectly happy. But when you find that guitar that takes it to the next level, holy cow!! Unfortunately, they usually ain't cheap!!

and Horse, I'm heading to a particular stairwell tonight, though not in Ohio. Same deal, though. Lots of concrete!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion