The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Ist 3 hours with new LR Baggs Venue -KK pickups

I have 3 Martins, all with KK passive pups. My 4th Martin is active in that a battery is required. My sound string has been guitar, RedEye DI, Strymon reverb machine all sent to AER/60 amp. I bought the RedEye based on recommendations for use with KK pickups. I like the RedEye. Effective and simple. Well made. But no volume control, mute control and limited EQ at my fingertips when amp is 15ft. away just won't do! - I'm taking a chance and bought the LR Baggs Venue last night and spent this morning with it. I like it! Seems well made. Nice-sized. Smooth effective/pots. A mute switch which I kind of think as an "Emergency" shut off button in case some sort of horrible feedback issue crops up! (Audiences ears in mind) -I read some bad reviews of the tuner but it seems OK to me. Large and bright. The LED display while functional, is not quite as "smooth" as my Snark SuperTites display -I experimented and saw no difference at all with the tuners accuracy vs. the Snark. I struggle with my use of reverb. I like quite a bit of light "airy" reverb but I really hate mud! If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the tone I am after, I would appreciate it very much! Perhaps the order of my string is in error or somehow could be improved upon. Thank You!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 PM

You put reverb and mud in the same sentence. Are they related? If you could clarify your issue a bit more then maybe we could help you.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-26-2017, 04:31 PM

I push reverb probably a tic or two beyond what most would say "typical" Why do folks stop reverb a certain point? When note separation decays. When a
"wash-out" color is produced. Overly-processed (metallic) I don't know how else to describe that point with reverb where "a lot" turns into too much! -But I want control of that point but am not savvy enough with mixing acoustic guitars with modern electronics. With my simple string, am I making any fundamental mistakes. I do not use any of the "looping" ports on DI box or amp. Is it possible the order of my pedals is all it can/should be? I want as close to a mic'ed sound as I can get without using a mic! -I hope that made sense!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:00 PM

What you are doing is a logical arrangement and a good way to start.
Try experimenting with removing and rearranging things in the signal chain.

You might find you can do without the Red Eye, for instance.
I assume you were not that happy with the reverb that the AER has.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Thanks for response! It ups my confidence that I am not making some obvious error. Without the RedEye, the only "change" my ears detected was a tiny bit of a loss of "sparkle" at the high freq. range. I "almost" don't benefit from it at the low volumes I usually play at. I was not satisfied with the reverb built into the amp. (I sure do like how much sound comes from AER's tiny "boxes") All I want is the sound to sound like it's coming straight from heaven. -Is this too much to ask for? !!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification