The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-12-2017, 12:25 PM

Default Brighter Trebles

I have an Amalio Burguet Model 2m and have been using High Tension Savarez strings for some years now but would like to add a little more brightness or punch to the top three solid nylon strings, in perticular the B and G strings. Can anyone suggest something that I could try? The Savarez have been good with those exceptions and I particularly like the D and A strings as they are. Perhaps a completely new maker and type would be in order, but my guitar does not like low or normal tension strings.
Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
I have an Amalio Burguet Model 2m and have been using High Tension Savarez strings for some years now but would like to add a little more brightness or punch to the top three solid nylon strings, in perticular the B and G strings. Can anyone suggest something that I could try? The Savarez have been good with those exceptions and I particularly like the D and A strings as they are. Perhaps a completely new maker and type would be in order, but my guitar does not like low or normal tension strings.
Many thanks in advance.
D'Addario makes a "Titanium" treble set that I've found adds some brightness to their standard set. If you want to go even further, try their full composites.

Cincy
Old 03-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Guest 2143

Which Savarez strings are you using for your bass and treble strings? I assume Cristal trebles since you say that they are solid nylon, but what about the bass strings?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:46 PM

I hope you are able to find the tone you are loking for with strings. I believe you can...

If you can try some Daddario pro arte titanium or even brighter (and much skinnier) some carbon high tension. They are high tension and very skinny and very bright.

If you like your basses, then either of these will knock your trebles up a notch or two, maybe too far with the carbons. It could make you very happy with very little effort.

Regards
D
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

One helpful thing to keep in mind: In GENERAL, the smaller the diameter, the brighter the string. Harder tension strings may not be the way to go, but you've really got to experiment.
-Bob
Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Thankyou for your replies everyone. It would seem that the way to go at the moment is to try the titanium strings and although I've used D'Addario strings for decades, they've been on electrics. I've never rated their acoustic strings either steel or nylon. But I've not tried their titaniums so I'll give them a whirl.
I think the only other way for an overall sound improvement is a new or different guitar but that would be a large expense that I can't really justify just now.
Once again, thanks.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Have you considered John Pearse PJ116 "folk" strings, by Thomastik Infeld, not sure if that is the sound you are looking for.

I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Carbon trebles are the brightest, I find.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:13 AM

Since you have experience with Savarez, I suggest you look into their strings with Alliance trebles... They are thin and are nicely bright.

My personal favorite are the Cantiga 510AR normal tension. It has Allliance trebles with awesome Cantiga bass.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Since you have experience with Savarez, I suggest you look into their strings with Alliance trebles... They are thin and are nicely bright.

My personal favorite are the Cantiga 510AR normal tension. It has Allliance trebles with awesome Cantiga bass.
Thanks for this. I've just sent off fo some D'Addario tunsten thingies as a test but I'm not a big Pro Arte fan. I've noted your suggestion and will try a set of those as well. I prefer (and so does my guitar) high tension strings, but I'll go back to the normals whilst I'm in "try-out" mode.
Thanyou to all for your suggestions.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Yes. I play with fingertips, no nails and these strings work well.

hunter
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Another plug for the Thomastik JP Folk trebles. They're truly unique strings that will do exactly what you're hoping.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

You might try Aquila Alabastro. They're made of a new material (Nylgut) that purports to be a cross between nylon and gut (I believe!). They are quite bright but also impart a sense of fullness. They may be a bit brighter than carbons on one or two of my guitars. And they are certainly the loudest.
-Bob
Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
You might try Aquila Alabastro. They're made of a new material (Nylgut) that purports to be a cross between nylon and gut (I believe!). They are quite bright but also impart a sense of fullness. They may be a bit brighter than carbons on one or two of my guitars. And they are certainly the loudest.
-Bob
Thanks for this Bob, I will also be trying this set.

I'd like to compare them with high tension carbons (EJ46FF).
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Seaguar Premium Fluorocarbon Fishing Leader. 60, 80, 100 pounds strength. e4, b3, g3 respectively.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical