The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Guest 928

Default Optima 6 classical gold strings

Alistair put the Optima 6 Classical Guitar 24 Carat Gold Natural Carbon High Tension strings on my electric nylon string guitar, and I like them. In attempting to replace them I headed for Amazon and was surprised to find that a set would cost $44! In looking around I found that JustStrings had the gold for $27. Just passing that along for anyone thinking about trying the Optima strings.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:23 PM

Nice...but they clash with the silver dog thing...always something.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM

Hi Evan,
My X7 Nylon came with the Optima strings on it too. They sound great and are worth the price. You did better on price than I did. For the last set of Optima No. 6 24 carat gold classical guitar strings I paid $29.99 at StringsByMail.com.
Barb
Old 03-23-2018, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

Barb 1;

It sound like your impression is the same as mine--these are good strings. As far as price, we're in the same ball park--a lot better than $40-some.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Guest 928

Barb 1 (or anyone else playing nylon--including Mr. K);

Have you tried the Optima silver classical strings? I ordered a set before I found and ordered the reasonably priced golds.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM

Hi Evan,
I haven't tried the Optima Silver strings yet. Did you like them?

By the way, Evan, I just had a bone saddle made for my Rainsong Nylon Parlor. It sounds even better than before.
Barb
Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Guest 928

#1 Barb;

No, I have yet to try the silver. Now that I have the gold on the way I'm in a bit of a quandary--I really like the gold, but the silver is a new and exciting possibility. I'm thinking of using the gold on the electric 7 and the silver on the RS Parlor.

Speaking of which, now you have me thinking of a bone saddle for the RS. Who made the saddle?

I haven't been playing the Parlor or the X10-OSN since receiving the Emerald thin body electric. The acoustic of the thin body is surprising and powered up it's stunning. I'm trying to talk Alistair into making a thin bodied X10-OSN which could well become my only guitar.

In the meantime I have a pretty nice stable and count my blessings.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
#1 Barb;

. I'm trying to talk Alistair into making a thin bodied X10-OSN which could well become my only guitar.
You are just outa control ! Maybe we are related
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Guest 928

Well, you are my nephew--that's got to count for something. Somewhere out there, we have a common tree.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Hi Evan,
Flip Scipio made the bone saddle for the Rainsong Nylon Parlor. I have had him make them for the X7 Nylon, the X7, the Savoy and I am thinking of having him make the bone saddles for the rest of the CF guitars I own. It seems to make a large difference in the sound.
Barb
Old 03-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi Evan,
Flip Scipio made the bone saddle for the Rainsong Nylon Parlor. I have had him make them for the X7 Nylon, the X7, the Savoy and I am thinking of having him make the bone saddles for the rest of the CF guitars I own. It seems to make a large difference in the sound.
Barb
"Sounds" like something I should try.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Well, you are my nephew--that's got to count for something. Somewhere out there, we have a common tree.
Plant DNA is our common ancestry? The tree prolly loves us for using carbon fiber.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:16 PM

Hi Kramster,
Try it on one of your heard and see how you like it. I did it on the Emerald X7 Nylon first and was extremely pleased. Good luck!
Barb
Old 09-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

This is an old thread, I know, but I just spoke with Eduardo from Optima and he explained the difference to me between the silver and gold. I wanted to order some in advance of getting my Emerald in a couple of months and wasn't sure whether to go gold or silver. Aesthetically, I'm not a huge gold fan in general, but from his description, I think I'd prefer the sound of them. And I have to figure Alistair and the guys from Emerald chose the gold for a reason.

Did anyone ever get around to trying the silver version?

Here is the email from Eduardo...
"There are differences indeed between the silver and gold sets in the Line 6 series.
Gold gives you a warm and clear spectrum of overtones that will surround you.
Silver will project loud and clear overtones straight out from the guitar.
They’re different in tact to the hand and gold will last longer because it is not affected by rust, acid and dirt won’t stick to it.
Silver has its own qualities, it’ll tarnish with use, being the nature of the metal, but won’t loose the quality of sound for quite a while.

In music, as you know everything is very unique and personal, so I recommend for you to try and experience some options.
I personally use Gold on my classical guitar and silver on my Godin acoustic/electric guitar.

Gold only comes in high tension on either nylon or carbon sets.
Silver comes in high, medium or low tension, also on nylon or carbon sets.

Where are you located? I’d like to contact Emerald Guitars as well to thank them for choosing Optima Strings."
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 09-05-2018, 06:18 PM

Good stuff on the strings...thanks for sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber