The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-13-2018, 04:11 PM

Hmmmm, with all this talk of Cargos you guys got me thinking that it might be the way for me to go for my first CF guitar. Everyone seems to love theirs even after getting other guitars. I started a post a few days ago looking for a small CF guitar that doesn't neck dive too much but maybe with the right strap setup it might work for me. A good guitar to hang out with on the porch or on the couch or by the fire. Might be a good way to dip my toe into the CF pool.

p.s. I love all of the banter on the CF forum. Makes it a fun place to hang out!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblybob View Post
Might be a good way to dip my toe into the CF pool.
And I just happen to own a pool service company..scarifying!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
And I just happen to own a pool service company..scarifying!
You could leave a CF guitar floating in every pool you clean as a calling card.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-13-2018, 04:33 PM

Back on topic for a moment:

I think the CF forum is anything BUT off-putting. Great attitude, fun diatribe, and lots of good info provided in a non-persnickety kind of way.

Carry on!

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 03-14-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: fixed spelling of persnickety
Old 03-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
You could leave a CF guitar floating in every pool you clean as a calling card.

Tony
I'm on it... I just need a few more guitars or a few less pools.. Thanks Tony.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblybob View Post
Hmmmm, with all this talk of Cargos you guys got me thinking that it might be the way for me to go for my first CF guitar. Everyone seems to love theirs even after getting other guitars. I started a post a few days ago looking for a small CF guitar that doesn't neck dive too much but maybe with the right strap setup it might work for me. A good guitar to hang out with on the porch or on the couch or by the fire. Might be a good way to dip my toe into the CF pool.

p.s. I love all of the banter on the CF forum. Makes it a fun place to hang out!
I could unload all my guitars except the Cargos and continue to be satisfied with what I have. I don't know if I would be as enthused today with what a new (or even used) Cargo costs. The price has gone WAY up since I got all three of mine. Price is really a psychological thing, so we each establish what we are willing to pay for a given item. It does not necessarily reflect on the item itself. A Cargo is still a Cargo, but I got all three of mine for little more than just one costs today.

If I were buying today, I still might end up with a Cargo, but I would want to "play the field" before deciding. Back when I bought mine, there was not much more than Rainsong and CA Guitars (not Peavey yet) as choices for CF guitars. There was nothing else like the Cargo, nor anything as cheap as the Cargo. It was a very easy choice at the time. Today, Emerald may well be a better choice for many folks. Whatever, the reality is that things are much more complicated in the CF market because there are so many more choices.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-13-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I Back when I bought mine, there was not much more than Rainsong and CA Guitars (not Peavey yet) as choices for CF guitars. There was nothing else like the Cargo, nor anything as cheap as the Cargo. It was a very easy choice at the time.
Tony
Ahh yes.. the simpler times of yore ... we was just kids then... sigh...
Old 03-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ahh yes.. the simpler times of yore ... we was just kids then... sigh...
Here is the interesting thing about that. I read an article at one time about happiness that had an interesting twist. the article said that people are generally more content when there are FEWER choices to make. the reason is that if there are too many choices, whatever we pick, we are always then wondering if another of the choices might have been better.

So, back when we bought our Cargos, there was nothing else like it, especially at that price point (substantially less than $800). Therefore, there was nothing else to compare it to and nothing else that we could have chosen unless we wanted a full size Rainsong or CA Guitars model at substantially more money.

Ever read through the threads where people are considering getting new guitars despite already having a substantial collection? There are always more guitars to try, and obviously more compelling than what they already have. I am certainly guilty of this with wood instruments.

So, today a person buying a CF guitar has MANY more choices than we had. There are several in the Cargo market space in terms of size and probably cost, now that the Cargo has almost tripled in price. A person chooses one, but then is wondering if another choice would have been better. Then comes the trading/buying/selling cycle as the person tries to decide. That is quite different than the market in which there is just the Cargo, take it or leave it.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Guest 928

You know, Kramster calls me his uncle. So, he is my nephew--and I am proud of him. He was a first scout in the development of carbon fiber guitars. He supported each of the innovators working in CF, and he demonstrated their instruments.

He knew a Cargo when he saw one, but he's also been keeping up. I don't know if he's reading the New York Times or what, but he has eye for any creative advancement of the making of a guitar.

This will embarrass my nephew to no end, but I'm willing to publically admit that he is one of my favorite nephews(even though my brother and sister never mentioned him, but you know how it goes, we're all just a few steps from one another).

Note: I do have a nephew I like better, but he is in Alaska--too far to do me any good. But Mr. K, hay! He's right next door, down in Phoenix. His desert is a little different than mine, but he's still a desert rat.

One of my fantasies is that me and my nephew do a carbon fest in Yuma, neutral ground, middle of nowhere, but in driving distance of Arizona and southern California. Others would join us. We'd be there not just to show off our tools, we'd be there to make some music.

We'd go around the circle and each player would get a chance to lead the band. This would be an arduous run for me, but one that I would take at my own time. I'd probably have several stops along the Colorado--have to take a few breaks for my dog.

But I'd get there. Some funky motel with chairs in a center area--that's where we'd sit. There would be CF guitars galore. The variety of music would be stunning. My folk songs would be fabulous. Pretty good fantasy huh?

What was this thread all about??
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM

Geesshh Unc.. not sure if I should just say "cool" or get all teary eyed or throw up a little or move to Alaska... anyway I think I need a bigger box... or SUV or place...either way you can be my favorite Uncle... Don't tell Uncle Joey.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
One of my fantasies is that me and my nephew do a carbon fest in Yuma, neutral ground, middle of nowhere, but in driving distance of Arizona and southern California. Others would join us. We'd be there not just to show off our tools, we'd be there to make some music.

It WAS about not scaring off any newcomers Evan....

not sure if showing off our tools is the right way to go about this.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
...non-purrsnickety...
???? Cat got your keyboard?

Back to the regularly scheduled raillery. I could use a bit more snark in my feed though. Helps me stay more...

regular.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
You know, Kramster calls me his uncle. So, he is my nephew--and I am proud of him. He was a first scout in the development of carbon fiber guitars. He supported each of the innovators working in CF, and he demonstrated their instruments.

He knew a Cargo when he saw one, but he's also been keeping up. I don't know if he's reading the New York Times or what, but he has eye for any creative advancement of the making of a guitar.

This will embarrass my nephew to no end, but I'm willing to publically admit that he is one of my favorite nephews(even though my brother and sister never mentioned him, but you know how it goes, we're all just a few steps from one another).

Note: I do have a nephew I like better, but he is in Alaska--too far to do me any good. But Mr. K, hay! He's right next door, down in Phoenix. His desert is a little different than mine, but he's still a desert rat.

We'd go around the circle and each player would get a chance to lead the band. This would be an arduous run for me, but one that I would take at my own time. I'd probably have several stops along the Colorado--have to take a few breaks for my dog.

But I'd get there. Some funky motel with chairs in a center area--that's where we'd sit. There would be CF guitars galore. The variety of music would be stunning. My folk songs would be fabulous. Pretty good fantasy huh?

Well, The Who had Uncle Ernie...

What was this thread about? I don't remember. What forum is this? What happened to my laptop? Where am I? Hmmmmm....

Oh yeah, Cargos! Carbon fiber! Cooking utensils.... Oh wait, that is Teflon. Oh well. I think I might need a designated driver.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Well, The Who had Uncle Ernie...

I think I might need a designated driver.

Tony
Philips or flat head... Oh.. yes the topic.. I am just a little ascared. (said with a Liverpool accent)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Philips or flat head... Oh.. yes the topic.. I am just a little ascared. (said with a Liverpool accent)
Yes, it is rather frightening. Oh yeah, Philips.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber