The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Default IRig Acoustic Stage

I am curious if anybody has tried this set up on a vintage guitar.

Mitch
Old 06-10-2017, 10:01 PM

Does a '68 Martin D28 count as vintage?

I've been playing around with the iRig Acoustic Stage for two days now. Its pleasantly surprised me in multiple ways. For one thing, it blends very will with the Headway co-axial UST which I have in the old D28. I've never gotten a satisfactory tone from that pickup, despite trying to EQ it every which way from Sunday. Nevertheless, when I run it to the iRig preamp's Aux In and blend it with the mic set on "natural", the result is very pleasing (with no EQ needed). Go figure.

You can get up to 10 notches from the iAS preamp's feedback killer, but my sense (judging from my Fishman SoloAmp experiments at home) is that the mic alone won't work terribly well in a high volume setting. That's another reason that I'm grateful that the UST/mic blend sounds so good.

I must observe that using multiple feedback notches doesn't seem to degrade the mic's amplified sound at all. Its just that there's a limit to what the feedback killer can do when the volume is turned up high. It is a mic.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:51 AM

I hope more users of this jump in. Very curious as to how well this is working across the board.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:06 AM

Last night I did some comparison recordings with the Baggs Lyric in one of my guitars. I've gotten a very usable recording sound with the iAS right off the bat. I just calibrated it for the guitar and recorded directly off the iAS preamp (no extra EQ device needed in the signal chain).

With the Lyric in my particular guitar, on the other hand, I have to EQ the daylights out of it (with a Zoom A3) to get a balanced tone. That's not always the case with the Lyric, as I've heard at least two Lyric-equipped guitars (as a soundman) which amplified very well without any EQ help.

In any event, my recording experiments have shown me that I still need to dial in more presence (with the Lyric's presence control) before I can make a fair comparison between the calibrated iRA and the Lyric at its EQed and presence-adjusted best.

One surprising finding for me is that the iRA preamp's Aux In handles my two passive pickups (Baggs Hex in my classical and PUTW I/O UST in an OM) well. I get a balanced tone in both cases, despite the fact that the Aux In's input impedance is only 1 Mohm. The only problem is that the piezo film I/O UST signal is relatively weak. I have to mix very much toward the pickup side (with the blender knob) and the total output signal is relatively weak, compared to the output with the blender at full mic.

It should be mentioned that the iRA's output is relatively weak compared to the Lyric and many other active systems. That's because its power supply is only 3v (two AA batteries in series) as compared to a 9v supply for most active systems. Of course, a good mixer will provide any additional signal boost needed.

For what its worth, here are the iRig Acoustic Stage recorded samples which I made last night. All samples are normalized. The bare-fingered stuff would otherwise be much quieter than the strumming. (One reason why I'll likely need a blended signal for high volume settings.)

https://soundcloud.com/guitaniac/iri...-stage-samples

Considering the mixing option, and this level of direct recording quality right on the first try, the iRig Acoustic Stage is a no-brainer for me. Yes, the mic cable seems very flimsy and yes, it would probably be a good idea to purchase a back-up mic (if available) for the iRig Acoustic Stage system.

Last edited by guitaniac; 06-11-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM

I have the pedal version of the iRig. Not flimsy at all:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...elaRoCb3fw_wcB

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Here are some sound samples with the old D28. I blended in a bit of Headway co-axial UST with this sample. I think it takes the edge off the in-the-well listening perspective (of the mic) and the ultra-responsive top. You can actually hear a bit of clicking on the top (with steel finger picks) in the second sample. I omitted the fast strummed samples here as they were a tad overdriven.

https://soundcloud.com/guitaniac/68-...acoustic-stage
Old 02-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Smile

I have also just got the iRig acoustic stage, it sounded ok in the tak EAN10 then i blended it with the onboard system, sounded even better, but useing the Zoom A3 with it was really studio sounding and perfect for me, i tried it in the Gibson gospel with the A3 and was floored by the quality, it sounds beter than my fishman rare earth blends mic by far, little bit flimsy but worth the money for sure, and for recording it worked out great, i have bad acoustics in my atic and this solves that problem no more mics for me.......worth every cent

Last edited by Mr Cook; 02-04-2018 at 03:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification