The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-25-2016, 09:30 AM

Default $100 monitor / headphone options?

First off, I know this is an insanely low budget but I just don't feel like spending more on this at the moment.

I currently record in an untreated spare bedroom and "officially" only make recordings to track my progress, not to publish. Having said that, I notice a huge difference in what my recordings sound like through my crappy computer speakers and/or $20 headphones and what they sound like through a real stereo or even car stereo. It's mostly the eq that I'm looking to improve here. I think I could significantly improve the quality of my mixes if I could hear how screwy the eq is without running around to the car, the stereo, whatever.

At this point, I'm really only willing to throw about $100 at this. If I can't get a decent set of speakers or headphones for that amount, I'll just stick to what I have and just keep learning. After all, I don't need better recordings, I just want a bit of improvement.

FYI, I put headphones as an option here because we are planning to redo that room and I'm not sure about what acoustic treatments I'll be able to do.

Thoughts? Is it even worth it?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

There is no end of really good headphones in your price range.

My son is a sound engineer for a large concert venue and we got him a set of Audio-Technica ATH M50X Full Size Headphones for his birthday that are the industry standard for this type of work. Those can be found for just over your limit at $119. If you go one model back (the ATH M40X) you can find them for $79.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:51 AM

As well as the AT ATH M40X you might consider Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones. They're within your stated price range and also an industry standard. In fact, they're the workhorse headphones that many pro studios assign to recording clients.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
First off, I know this is an insanely low budget but I just don't feel like spending more on this at the moment.

I currently record in an untreated spare bedroom and "officially" only make recordings to track my progress, not to publish. Having said that, I notice a huge difference in what my recordings sound like through my crappy computer speakers and/or $20 headphones and what they sound like through a real stereo or even car stereo. It's mostly the eq that I'm looking to improve here. I think I could significantly improve the quality of my mixes if I could hear how screwy the eq is without running around to the car, the stereo, whatever.

At this point, I'm really only willing to throw about $100 at this. If I can't get a decent set of speakers or headphones for that amount, I'll just stick to what I have and just keep learning. After all, I don't need better recordings, I just want a bit of improvement.
FYI, I put headphones as an option here because we are planning to redo that room and I'm not sure about what acoustic treatments I'll be able to do.

Thoughts? Is it even worth it?
I think there is no question that a set of $100 headphones vs. computer speakers and cheap HP's and ear buds etc. , will make a big difference your ability to hear and mix

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
As well as the AT ATH M40X you might consider Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones. They're within your stated price range and also an industry standard. In fact, they're the workhorse headphones that many pro studios assign to recording clients.
Sennheiser is also a great maker of quality headphones at lower budget prices. Every set of Sennheiser headphones I've ever owned have been great. When we bought our son's we narrowed it down to the Audio Technica and the Sennheisers...
Old 02-25-2016, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have a cheap set of Sennhieser HD 202 headphones but they seem very bass heavy.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I have a cheap set of Sennhieser HD 202 headphones but they seem very bass heavy.
Look at open back headphones, not closed ones.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Look at open back headphones, not closed ones.
That's what I thought but all I've found are more expensive tHan my budget. The suggestions above are also closed back, I think.

Last edited by RedJoker; 02-25-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:30 PM

The Sennheisers are excellent for home use. I use them when tracking to avoid bleeding the monitor mix into the mics.

If you want a good, affordable set of open back headphones check out a set of AKG K240's. The EQ on them compares favorably to my JBL nearfield monitors and they're $99 most places.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's what I thought but all I've found are more expensive tHan my budget. The suggestions above are also closed back, I think.
That's tough. Closed backed headphones suck for mixing but are needed for tracking. I bought a pair of open backed AKG 240DF on sale of $99, although it was some time ago.

I was at Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago to get some strings and they had paired of powered near field monitors for about $150, IIRC. Something like that (a cheap pair of near filed monitors) would probably be the biggest improvement you could make in your recording chain.

Nearfield monitors trump headphones in this situation. By a very long mile.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:31 PM

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. 99 bucks. These are used in many professional environments. Very flat EQ and closely match my Yamaha HS 7 studio monitor speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B000065BPB

You will not likely find speakers in your price range that have a flat response and will serve you well for recording. An outstanding studio monitor is the Yamaha HS 7 but, they run about $350 each.

Ray
Old 02-26-2016, 06:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I ended up placing an order for a pair of AKG K240's. Amazon currently has them for $60 so I figure I can't really go wrong. We'll see how it goes!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
If you want a good, affordable set of open back headphones check out a set of AKG K240's. The EQ on them compares favorably to my JBL nearfield monitors and they're $99 most places.
Whoa, good price for open back headphones!
Old 02-27-2016, 12:45 AM

Grado makes open back headphones for around $100.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Nearfield monitors trump headphones in this situation. By a very long mile.
Same observations here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD