The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Default LR Baggs Element Problem

I have a Seagull M6 Gloss with a factory-installed LR Baggs Element pickup.

Recently I noticed (when plugged in) that the A and D strings are drastically quieter than the other strings.

Last night I replaced the strings and while doing so removed the bridge to take a look and all was well from what I could see (not much).

I contacted LR Baggs, but have not received a reply.

Any ideas?

Jack
Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM

. I doubt you removed the bridge. That would require a lot of extra work and glueing. You meant saddle, right? The 2 things to check are saddle slot (making sure that it's level and free of debris) and saddle (place it on a level table to check there are no gaps on the bottom mating surface). Also have you checked to make sure that your saddle doesn't lean forward with strings on the guitar? That can throw things off too if it does. It should set pretty much upright at 90 degrees in the slot (with string tension on it). You could also pull the pickup transducer out of the saddle slot and scratch on it with a fingernail while the guitar is plugged in to see if it's picking up evenly all the way across the transducer. Also, have you reduced tension (tune down a bit) on the A and D strings with the guitar plugged in to see if the amount of pickup strength changes? Hopefully Baggs can give you some insight....

Ryan
Old 12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Happens Every Time Jack

ALoha Jack,

The main reason why I'll never use an UST again - THAT'S NEVER, BOYS - is that after trying everything that's come down the pike these last 40 years, not a single UST maintains its string-to-string balance over time. NOT ONE!

The last one I took out a couple years back was a Bagg's Element (I really don't like Lloyd's products at all). Yes, it was properly installed, in fact, three of them were properly installed. In the end, the same imbalances occur overtime, everytime.

So I moved on to SBT's - K&K mini's and PUTW #54's in combo with AKG 416 internal mic and also an external condenser mic. NO problems. And more natural sound.

Another thing I hate about UST's is that - as Gary Hall's studies and comparison's have proven here time after time - UST's can't be made to sound natural when strummed no matter how much EQ.

For strumming, you need a mic in the mix. Otherwise, UST's always sound compressed or quacky or tinny and harsh when strummed slightly hard.

My combo and using the Pendulum SPS-1 allows for easy blending from 100% mic to 100% pickup right at the end jack module. It sounds quite natural when I strum because I find the right balance quickly. Then I can switch the balance again on the module if the next song has different dynamics.

I don't like ANY pickups, friends. But UST's, for so many reasons - including the one you've brought up here Jack - make me wonder why anyone uses them - especially alone. Different ear planet I guess.

Try a K&K mini or a PUTW SBT with a mic. That'll solve your string-to-string balance problem. Who knows, you may even like the sound as well.

A Hui Hou
alohachris
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM

Not enough good things can be said about the K&K Pure Western Mini. Also speaking of L.R.Baggs the iBeam is an excellent choice as it is also a bridge plate pickup like the K&K.

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM

From what I've heard some of the big names (performers) still use USTs in their guitars, including the Baggs Element. My vote is on fixing the problem with the Element if it isn't something real serious. I have some of the nicer dual source pickups in certain guitars but really cant complain on how the Element sounds either. Maybe they have changed the design over the years. My fairly new Active VTC pickup sounds quite natural plugged in, and I tend to pick apart pickups that sound lousy.....

Ryan

Last edited by 66strummer; 12-01-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 AM

Since you are getting sound on the rest of the strings, I doubt it is the transducer. I too would look at the level of the saddle slot and the saddle itself to ensure that you are getting adequate and consistent downward pressure. The element is pressure sensitive and should be consistent along the entire active filament. I have them in three guitars and only once had a failure which was in the preamp. LR Baggs customer service replaced the entire system. Of course, that required a re-install, but it was not any real hassle. Good luck.
davidc
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Thank you very much for all of the comments and suggestions.

Regarding K&Ks, I have them installed on two guitars (Martin D-15S and Babicz Tribeca OM) and find them to be very bassy sounding and I fight the feedback. Generally speaking, they do sound better than USTs.

Plus, I am not a great fan of the guitar and thus don't want to spend more $$$ on it.

The saddle and everything checks out fine, plus, none of that has changed before or since the problem appeared.

I still have not heard from LR Baggs and company.

Thanks again,
jack
Old 12-03-2008, 04:27 PM

I would resend your inquiry, Jackstrat. That doesn't sound right. Maybe the first attempt to contact them got lost in the shuffle. Unless things have changed, I believe Baggs is generally noted for good prompt customer service.....
Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM

LR Baggs always gets back to me quickly. Not this time. I pinged them with an email from my business account and also used their online support contact form today. So we'll see....

jack
Old 12-05-2008, 02:09 AM

if this just became a problem for you check the string break angle over the saddle...over time the strings cut into the bridge.

If the bridge has been cut into and the angle is off from the other strings..could be causing the fallout

could be a lot of things but I just went thru above scenario with and 20 yr old martin that needs a new bridge installed

2004 Diego Huerga" Lucky 7"
1998 R6
2003 R7
2009 Deluxe
2011 Limited
2015 ES Paul
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 AM

That's a great point. And you're right. It could be a lot of things. Heck, I wouldn't even rule out something having to do with the way the bridge pins are seated. Guitars are funny like that. So many little factors and variables around the bridge and saddle area. No wonder you see problems like this (uneven electrified tone) quite often....
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM

For the record, LR Baggs replied to my email yesterday and apologized for the delay.

Their remarks though thoughtful did not resolve the problem.

I did notice that the saddle fits very loosely in the bridge slot. I will keep playing around with it. It has never been my favorite sounding pickup but with pickup/preamps like this, if you change to another what do you do with the existing preamp and hole in the side of the guitar....

Thanks again for your comments and recommendations...

jack
Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
For the record, LR Baggs replied to my email yesterday and apologized for the delay.

Their remarks though thoughtful did not resolve the problem.

I did notice that the saddle fits very loosely in the bridge slot. I will keep playing around with it. It has never been my favorite sounding pickup but with pickup/preamps like this, if you change to another what do you do with the existing preamp and hole in the side of the guitar....

Thanks again for your comments and recommendations...

jack

If the saddle is real loose that could be the problem, especially if it leans forward at all. You could replace it with something else and just leave the non-fuctional barn-door EQ in place. Best of luck, Jack....

Ryan
Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 AM

what exactly does a lack in break angle do to the sound? loss in tone or loss in volume? and ramping will help it immediately?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM

Regarding break angle, beats me, but LR Baggs said that could be the problem, slotted saddle due to wear, or poor factory installation could all contribute to the problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification