The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Floyd Rose Help Needed!

I'm hoping I can get some answers to a few questions I have had over the years about my Ibanez S470 QS. First, my buddy string shocked my Floyd Rose awhile back and I went and had it adjusted at the local shop instead of GC. The tech said he reset the tremolo height but the action was ,and still is, much higher than it used to be. Is it something they did, perhaps to drum up a higher sale, or is that what happens after string shock? It sat for about a month in its raised position before I had it fixed if that matters. Second, is there an easy way to tune it?! I have never had more difficulties tuning a guitar, the juice is worth the squeeze when its all said and done to be able to whammy either direction but it sure is a hassle! I tune top E then A then back to E, then A then D..E, A, D, G and so on.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:01 PM

The tuning hassle is typical of a Floyd Rose.

As for "string shock," what do you mean? I've never heard that term before.

Assuming the neck is adjusted properly, the action on a Floyd Rose can be adjusted at the bridge. There are big screw on each outmost side of the Floyd Rose is what you would turn to adjust the action. I don't remember offhand which way to turn them as it's been a while since I've messed with a Floyd-equipped guitar.

Ovation CSE24
Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 PM

No idea what "String Shock" is...

I would think the easy way to restring a FR is to do one string at a time. Replace it, tune it, go to the next one. I've never felt the need though.

Personally I don't find restringing a FR to be all that bad. Yeah you have to tune over and over, but it lasts what - three minutes? Once it's in tune it's in tune for ****-near ever, so it seems worth the extra couple of minutes to me.

There are a couple of ways to adjust the string height. Could he have put lighter strings on? If so you may need to take a spring off from the back of the guitar.

GAD

GAD's Blog Why not check it out!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:24 PM

Heard the term online, sorry. Its when the tremolo gets raised either to the high extreme or the low extreme and either rests on the guitar body or is raised over 1" above the body. Had lighter strings put on when the shop reset the tremolo height.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Pics might help.

Ovation CSE24
Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT Strummer View Post
Heard the term online, sorry. Its when the tremolo gets raised either to the high extreme or the low extreme and either rests on the guitar body or is raised over 1" above the body. Had lighter strings put on when the shop reset the tremolo height.
Bingo. I bet you need a spring removed from the back. If your "tech" put on lighter strings and didn't remove a spring (and give it to you), find a new tech. This is a super easy fix. Open the back of the guitar. You should see this:

There may be only four or even three springs, though my guess is four. Take one of the middle ones out. It's easy. On the left side of the image is the claw. The springs have little loops that loop onto the claw. Lift one of the center springs off the claw, then the hook on the other side of the spring will slide out of the trem block (on the right side). You should see an instant change in the trem hight.

HTH

GAD

Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 PM

Did you get it figured out?

GAD

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 PM

Sorry for the delayed response, I actually had 3 strings in the back, took out the middle one and it immediately dropped the action, its still a little higher than Id like but its much better than it was, thanks again!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 PM

I don't know if you every got this figured out, but check out www.ibanezrules.com

this guy has the most thorough set-up info on Ibanez FR's. He only deals with the "high end" stuff, but if you have a Edge or Edge pro (I think that's what's in those 470's) the info is the same. Lots of pics and very easy to follow. If you follow his set-up, you'll be very happy.

I've had Ibanez's FR's off and on since 1990; a pain to set-up up but man do they stay in tune. If you still need help, PM me, I'd be glad to help. I've messed up enough of them when I was 12 to know what not to do

Steven

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
Fernandes late 80's strat
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification