The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Default Anyone play a Godin ACS-SA?

I bought one of these from Elderly some months back to satisfy my nylon string cravings. Anyway, I love the guitar, which I put through a Fishman Loudbox, but the time has come to think about changing strings. So far I've just used the ones the guitar came with, which are Godin Hard Tensions. These seem to have exactly the same tension as D'Addario Pro Arte Hard Tensions. I could go for the same Godin strings, as the guitar does sound good with these, but I was wondering if anyone had tried anything else and how it sounded.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 AM

I also have the ACS-SA but was not happy with the sound. The strings sounded like rubberbands. I went to the extra high tension strings and the sound was/is perhaps a little better. I then put a Fishman Aura Nylon pedal between the guitar and amp and it sounds much better.

Disclaimer: I rarely like the sound of anything I buy. I'm sure it's me.

Jack
Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
I also have the ACS-SA but was not happy with the sound. The strings sounded like rubberbands. I went to the extra high tension strings and the sound was/is perhaps a little better. I then put a Fishman Aura Nylon pedal between the guitar and amp and it sounds much better.

Disclaimer: I rarely like the sound of anything I buy. I'm sure it's me.

Jack
Sorry you're less than satisfied with the guitar, Jack! I think it's not so easy for steel string players to find a nylon string we can feel comfortable with. I started with a lovely Raimundo calssical which nearly crippled my wrist! Then it was a Taylor NS44 which sounded too dull acoustically, despite its size. Now I've settled on the Godin which seems the best of the three so far. By the way, did you need to tweak the truss rod when you put on the extra high tension strings?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM

Regarding the truss rod, I was told no by my very reputable dealer and godin. By high tension, not sure they really are all that more high tension, never did understand what that meant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification