The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-01-2023, 12:53 PM

Default Can anyone ID this guitar?

Hey folks,
I don't want to irk anyone here, so I'll start off by saying that I am not interested in how much this guitar is worth. I like it and I want to keep it. I just want to know what I have. It was purchased in a local online auction for $32. It is OLD. It came with a molded cardboard case that has interesting pressed decoration on it. The crack in the top was repaired a long time ago. There are small square wood patches glued to the inside. That appears to be done professionally. At least one set of tuners were replaced because they do not match. The nut is definitely not original. It has been refinished, maybe more than once. Which may explain why there is no insignia on the headstock.
A sticker on the back of the headstock says that it was made in Mexico. The only other identification is a curious "G G" written in ink on the inside of the back through the soundhole.
I play a little classical but I want to play more. I used to have a Yamaha acoustic that sounded OK but this sounds a lot better even with the cracked top. I build and repair guitars so I bought this as a little project, however, all it needed was a cleaning and strings (which I didn't install perfectly, of course).
So, anyone have a clue what this might be. I can attach more picture if that would help. I have photos on my Instagram page. Link is below (if it works).
Thanks a bunch.
Jeff Laurich
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0UjJqiO..._web_copy_link
Old 12-01-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronorb View Post
Hey folks,
I don't want to irk anyone here, so I'll start off by saying that I am not interested in how much this guitar is worth. I like it and I want to keep it. I just want to know what I have. It was purchased in a local online auction for $32. It is OLD. It came with a molded cardboard case that has interesting pressed decoration on it. The crack in the top was repaired a long time ago. There are small square wood patches glued to the inside. That appears to be done professionally. At least one set of tuners were replaced because they do not match. The nut is definitely not original. It has been refinished, maybe more than once. Which may explain why there is no insignia on the headstock.
A sticker on the back of the headstock says that it was made in Mexico. The only other identification is a curious "G G" written in ink on the inside of the back through the soundhole.
I play a little classical but I want to play more. I used to have a Yamaha acoustic that sounded OK but this sounds a lot better even with the cracked top. I build and repair guitars so I bought this as a little project, however, all it needed was a cleaning and strings (which I didn't install perfectly, of course).
So, anyone have a clue what this might be. I can attach more picture if that would help. I have photos on my Instagram page. Link is below (if it works).
Thanks a bunch.
Jeff Laurich
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0UjJqiO..._web_copy_link
JOM branded, made in Paracho, an area in Mexico known for tons of cheap (and sometimes high level) acoustic instruments.

Here's an older listing showing the original head stock and inner label of a similar JOM.

https://reverb.com/item/15328631-vin...n-mexico-as-is
Old 12-01-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
JOM branded, made in Paracho, an area in Mexico known for tons of cheap (and sometimes high level) acoustic instruments.

Here's an older listing showing the original head stock and inner label of a similar JOM.

https://reverb.com/item/15328631-vin...n-mexico-as-is
Thanks Rudy4. I saw similar listings like that. None as old as this guitar, however. Is JOM a model? Builder? Quality control?
There was a string package in the case that was dated 1975. Pretty sure that was the last set put on this guitar. The strings were on it when I got it. The case looks to me like it is way older than that.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronorb View Post
Thanks Rudy4. I saw similar listings like that. None as old as this guitar, however. Is JOM a model? Builder? Quality control?
There was a string package in the case that was dated 1975. Pretty sure that was the last set put on this guitar. The strings were on it when I got it. The case looks to me like it is way older than that.
It looks like JOM is a "company name" from a small shop builder in Paracho. There are dozens of these small shops there and many have a history of producing instruments over many years, most of mediocre quality. It looks like the same "brand" was active on Youtube as recently as a few years ago:

JOM guitars

Probably the same folks. There's an entire documentary film that was made about the "Guitar builders of Paracho" several years ago that you can probably find with a Google search.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It looks like JOM is a "company name" from a small shop builder in Paracho. There are dozens of these small shops there and many have a history of producing instruments over many years, most of mediocre quality. It looks like the same "brand" was active on Youtube as recently as a few years ago:

JOM guitars

Probably the same folks. There's an entire documentary film that was made about the "Guitar builders of Paracho" several years ago that you can probably find with a Google search.
That sounds cool. I will look for that documentary. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:57 PM

The documentary is called "The Guitar Is Their Song". Here is the trailer:

Old 12-01-2023, 11:23 PM

[QUOTE=Rudy4;7363261]The documentary is called "The Guitar Is Their Song". Here is the trailer:

Excellent. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical