The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-28-2023, 05:39 AM

Question Cordoba fusion string action & playability

Hello I’m Guido from Italy
I’m considering to buy a crossover nylon string guitar and I look to Córdoba fusion series 12 or orchestra ( if budget permit )
Nylon string for its playability versus steel string
Cordoba fusion 12 or orchestra for its specs; 48mm neck; little bit radius; a bit lower but than classical ( 5 model is 100mm )
My questions regard action :
- what should be the lower action for no buzz and no excessive decay of sound quality and volume ( this is less relevant for me)?
- what best string for low action ? I look to Daddario Pro Arte with polished round string that should might sound smooth and suitable for jazzy sound
- to lowering factory action is necessary replace both nut and saddle or it’s enough adjust it ?
Excuse me for my language and thanks in advance for your answer and suggest
Bye
Guido
Old 11-06-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido_59 View Post
Hello I’m Guido from Italy
My questions regard action :
- what should be the lower action for no buzz and no excessive decay of sound quality and volume ( this is less relevant for me)?
- what best string for low action ? I look to Daddario Pro Arte with polished round string that should might sound smooth and suitable for jazzy sound
- to lowering factory action is necessary replace both nut and saddle or it’s enough adjust it
Guido
Regarding action, it depends. Low action + low tension strings + agressive playing = fret buzz. All my classical instruments have a 650mm scale length. I play "normal" tension string sets in the 85lb to 90lb set tension range. Action is different on each instrument, the lowest being 3.2mm at E6 12th fret, the highest is 3.5mm. I don't consider my playing style to be agressive so no fret buzz. Keep in mind that as you lower saddle height, you lower the break angle and you'll lose volume. My personal recommendation is to keep the original saddle as it is. If you care to make changes, purchase a couple pieces of saddle bone from a supplier and make a new saddle. That way, if you go too low, you can always put the original saddle back in the bridge while you try again.

Keep in mind that the bottom of the saddle needs to be flat and square. The top needs to be evenly rounded. While it's possible to do everything by hand, you can purchase a handy saddle tool that holds the saddle blank in the proper position while you sand it to assure it's dimensionally correct and the bottom is true. It's worth having if you plan on experimenting with saddles and nuts.

Regarding the nut, that's more critical. All it takes is one too many file strokes and the nut is ruined. The notches also should be approximately the same diameter as the strings. If you can fret E6 at the second fret and slip a thin pick under the string at the first fret and the pick doesn't fall out, the nut should be fine.

If you purchase your instrument from a reputable dealer, you can ask that as part of their "free setup," that they adjust the action to your liking, if you know what action you prefer.

Lastly, don't be tempted to use the truss rod adjustment in your Cordoba to change the action. That's NOT what it's for.

Best of luck,
<>Lee
Old 11-08-2023, 10:03 AM

Thanks for answer
I have found a second hand Cordoba gk studio solid spruce top neck and side sycamore
It’s not only a flamenco guitar but it is suitable for various music
Today I was going to my luthier for a check and ask him to lowering action if it’s possible
He suggests D’Addario ej45 nylon core normal tension as starting point
I’ll try it , I need a period to get use to play with nylon guitar, I don’t play this type of guitar from a king time

Last edited by Guido_59; 11-08-2023 at 12:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical