The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-04-2023, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Iris DF Smeck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
It was discussed earlier in the thread, OP wants one with a 1 3/4" nut

Ah got it. Unless it's known, the string spacing for Iris’ are much more generous than other 1 11/16ths, you’d be surprised. Check out the spacing compared to others. I had an OG with a 1 1/16th and it was roomier than any other one I’ve ever played
Old 09-12-2023, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Iris ND200 arrival...

As much as I REALLY would like an Iris DF Smeck to A-B alongside my Kopp Roy Smeck model, I've just taken delivery of a splendid Iris ND200 (hog/sitka burst) and I'm greatly impressed with it. It concurs with all of my ideas on the Iris tone when compared to the TNAG videos. This ND200 should keep me going for awhile & more than satisfies my hog F/S needs, excellent singer/songwriter guitar too. But I think that I now have an accurate idea on how a DF Smeck will sound/play.

The Northern Lights DF Smeck would have been mine had it not been for the 1 11/16" nut & even though I'm satisfied for now (due to the ND200 arrival) I'll still bump this one to the top occasionally as I'm a great fan of 12 fret Slope D "Smecks". So altho' the urgency isn't as great as it was, bump it up again.....and I'm still open to buying a DF Smeck, especially if a trade was considered with my Martin J41 Special Edition.

Last edited by neildealdylan; 09-12-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for the ignorance, but can someone explain what a “smeck” model guitar means? I’ve seen several brands use it, I never understood what difference it would have over a standard model.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Lichter View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, but can someone explain what a “smeck” model guitar means? I’ve seen several brands use it, I never understood what difference it would have over a standard model.
Smeck model guitars are based off an old Gibson model made for Roy Smeck in the 30's. Generally speaking, they are deeper body models than the standard slope shouldered J45 and 12 frets to the body. I have an Iris DF Smeck slothead that Neil keeps trying to get me to sell him.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Got it, thank you!

Is there a general consensus on smeck models? They seem to command a premium.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Lichter View Post
Got it, thank you!

Is there a general consensus on smeck models? They seem to command a premium.
For Iris, the Smeck model is a $350 upcharge over the base DF for the deeper body and 12 fret neck. If you add the slot head option, that adds an additional $500. Smeck models are just another flavor / sound of the comparable 14 fret model - not necessarily better or worse, just different.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump...

A little nudge to the top after awhile. Yes, Mike if you ever offload that Iris Smeck then let me know asap. I'd much prefer a slothead to "rein in" the questionable Iris headstock logo! In the meantime, I'm not in an urgent hurry because the Iris ND200 is keeping me satisfied & is very versatile but maybe more of a strummer than a FS player. But also very, very competent as a fingerstyle player too. And I have my Kopp Roy Smeck model to keep me going too. But I've got a good feeling about an Iris DF Smeck & believe it may answer a few questions for me.

So if anyone has an Iris Smeck to offload then feel free to PM or email me. I now have the cash to buy one without the need to trade!

Bump it up again....
Old 10-17-2023, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Bump it up

Sold a few of my guitars now & open to buying an Iris DF Smeck..
Old 10-18-2023, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Default PM's replied to...thanks.

All PMs & email replied to. Possibly I'm moving near to a Smeck purchase but bump this one up again...
Old 11-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Default And bump again...

Been awhile & came close to buying a Smeck. But decided I'd wait for one with a 2 5/16" saddle string spacing rather than stock 2 7/32". So still looking even if my ND200 is keeping me well occupied. I may also consider an adi topped DF 14 fretter but more interested in a Smeck for now.But ultimately I'd like to own both 12 & 14 fretters. If I can't find a 2 5/16" saddle string spaced Smeck soon then I'll pull the trigger on a DF 14 fretter instead. So bump it up!
Old 11-26-2023, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Neil,

If you haven't seen it yet, check your messages.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I just listed my DF Smeck on here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars