The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 07-07-2023, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Iris DF Smeck.

Just putting out some feelers on this one. I'm intrigued by the Iris guitars having listened to many videos/soundclips plus the affordable prices help too. I'm interested in buying the deeper bodied DF Smeck model but might possibly consider the right DF model depending on tonewoods. There have been a few "Smecks" on the AGF recently but I wasn't in a position to move on them. I would consider a trade/cash deal with my sublime Martin J41 Special Edition. I'd never sell the J41 but my hands don't get on with the pronounced V profile AND my Martin HJ38SG overlaps tonally.
I'm open on tonewoods but presume hog/sitka or adi combos might be offered initially. I have a Kopp Roy Smeck model which is fabulous. I'd like to A-B an Iris Smeck model as I suspect it might have more "air" and sustain than the Kopp so I would have the best of both worlds.
Please feel free to PM or email me directly on my profile email address with any "possibles". Many thanks.

Last edited by neildealdylan; 08-14-2023 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Change of title emphasis
Old 07-07-2023, 12:40 PM

There is new Iris DF from a dealer for $1799. A great deal in my opinion. No relationship with the dealer. They really sound fantastic.

https://reverb.com/item/66424007-iris-df-2023-video

Also some great deals on used ones here at AGF. Smecks are harder to find and generally cost more.

Good luck with your search!
Old 07-07-2023, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I’d rec an ND-200 over a DF if you’re looking for big and airy. I haven’t played a smeck.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Different option?

I have a Santa Cruz RS in near mint condition. Premium old growth mahogany and premium Adirondack, both harvested in the '30s. $6K
Old 07-08-2023, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

The DF standard is incredible
Old 07-08-2023, 10:06 PM

Well, I have a Gibson Smeck Stage Deluxe and it is a unique guitar, I think because of the deep body and 12 fret architecture which puts the bridge lower in the bout, closer to the center. I have been to the Iris factory and shop and played their Smecks and its the same concept. These are great guitars whether from Gibson or anybody else. It is a unique design. Give it a shot.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-09-2023, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Smile Did you see this?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=671521

Just tryin’ to help….

I found the Gibby Smeck I had sounded great, but was just too deep to play comfortably unless standing. Or lap sliding, of course, which is what it was designed for.

Hope you find just what you want!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 07-10-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Default PM's replied to & thanks....

Thanks Guitargeorge for your link to the Iris DF new model. I've seen that guitar video & it does sound fab. And I don't mind the plain top either....and it's a great deal on a new guitar. But thanks for pointing it out to me again.

Also thanks Stevipots for the SCGC RS model offer but I've got my heart set on an Iris DF Smeck, in an ideal world. But thanks again for your kind offer.

And I can only go by videos & soundclips but agree wholeheartedly KeyofB# that the DF model sounds great hence the reason I'd like to try out both a DF & DF Smeck eventually.

And I agree 100% gfirob about the design of these guitars too. I own a Kevin Kopp Roy Smeck model plus a few other 0000 12 fretters too. I just love the soundhole placement in these guitars which make them perfect for fingerstryle play.

And thanks Paul for your link to Bobby Swanson's DF model in sinker hog/sitka. I'd love to own this guitar more than any at the moment BUT my heart is set on a Smeck model. If one of my locally advertised guitars were selling better, then I would bguy Bobby's guitar in a heartbeat! And your help & advice, Paul is always appreciated. Keep well.

All other PM's & postings replied to. Thanks for the suggestions & offers.

Early days yet & let's see how my WTB listing goes & if anyone buys any of my other guitars. So bump this one to the top......looking for an Iris DF Smeck & maybe a DF 14 fretter too, eventually!
Old 07-10-2023, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile So, Neil…

So, what are you selling and why not here? And why not seek trades?

Or did I miss your listings?

The Gibby Smeck I had sounded REALLY good! Cindy told me to keep it, but it wasn’t comfortable in Spanish position. I LOVED the wider 1.8” nut with the slimmer V carve, and the short scale, too.

I expect an Iris to sound equally good, as they are both based on the originals…

Best on the quest

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-11-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Greetings.....and bump it up.

Just putting out "feelers" at the moment, Paul. My Martin J41 Special Edition is on UK eBay right now but feel it may be too rich for the US market as we pay VAT over here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195795301635. OPEN TO OFFERS!!

Also I'm awaiting delivery of an Iris ND200 in hog/sitka which may answer a few questions. Any other time I would simply press the trigger on the Iris DF (sinker hog/sitka) owned by Bobby BUT times are hard since promising the "one in one out" new policy to the dragon

My hope is to simplify my guitar collection in the future, too much money invested & insufficient time playing them. It will pain me to sell/trade any of them because they're the result of many years of seeking out "grail" tones. I hope the Iris guitars will be provide a silver bullet to my problem.

I'd love to try out a DF Smeck & love the videos/soundclips. The "no frills" approach by the Iris team, it really appeals to me. And maybe I'll try out a DF 14 fretter too, depending on tonewoods, because they regularly show up.

So bump it up....keen to try out a DF Smeck model and will consider purchase or part trade!
Old 07-11-2023, 10:50 PM

Regarding comfort, I stopped playing my Martin OM for the Gibson Smeck (but I always play standing up). The short scale Smeck is easier to play, and they have a unique sound. A lot of people make these in one form or another and most luthiers adapt them to their own style and taste. But the basics are the same. Go buy one...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-19-2023, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump.....

Thanks for your thoughts & recommendation.

Bump it up....trade with my Martin J41 Special Edition + cash or let me know if you have an Iris Smeck available....or a special DF model to make me consider my options!

One or two future options, thanks for the messages. Bump it up...
Old 08-04-2023, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump it up...

I have been approached by a forum member about selling me his Iris Smeck model & await more details. Until then I will give this another bump in case there is someone out there who'd consider a part-trade with my Martin J41 Special Edition. And a Smeck model with slotted headstock would be my preferred choice. And I still like the idea of owning an Iris DF 14 fretter too in the near future too.

I now have the cash & don't need to trade my Martin J41 Special Edition. Happy to consider all Iris DF options & hope the Smeck offer is still on the cards.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Bump...

I've all but given up on the Iris Smeck offered to me a few weeks ago by another forum member. So I'm open to buying an Iris DF Smeck 12 fretter OR send me any details of an Iris DF with 14 frets & depending on tonewoods, I could be very interested. I don't need to use my Martin J41 Special Edition as trade bait & now have the cash to buy one outright. Don't know why but I'm really lusting afdter a slotheaded Iris DF Smeck, plaintop or sunburst! Try me out!
Old 08-13-2023, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Default WTB Iris DF Smeck

Still looking to buy an Iris Smeck using cash or my Martin J41 as part trade. There have been a few flakey offers to me re a Smeck & also a DF model too. There are plenty of DF's out there so my main focus is on an Iris DF Smeck to see how it A-B's alongside my Kevin Kopp Roy Smeck. Cash waiting & especially if a slothead is offered!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars