The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-25-2016, 06:32 PM

Default The Hammer Proficiency medley (first time trying to record something with a zoom h5)

So...
Had this one for a while.
It's a small 2 song medley with different versions of john henry/spike driver blues.
I tried to eq using reaper, but could not decide what sounded better, so ended up with the raw version.
The strings are brand new and ended up a bit on the bright side. (martin sp pb lights)
Any suggestions on improvements (specially on how to lose less quality when merging with a video and sending to youtube) will be well received and used.
Have a nice week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEkMfCctzo
Old 09-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

That was good. I didn't notice any problem with the video sound. I have a Logitech 5.1 sound system for my computer. Very good playing.

Those string are not for that guitar. I though you were playing a resonator when I listened to the soundcloud. Try the Martin Retros, but let them settle in a couple of days before recording.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Nice playing... by the way.... you can edit your video and sound in Reaper.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That was good. I didn't notice any problem with the video sound. I have a Logitech 5.1 sound system for my computer. Very good playing.

Those string are not for that guitar. I though you were playing a resonator when I listened to the soundcloud. Try the Martin Retros, but let them settle in a couple of days before recording.
The fingerpicks usually brighten up the first strings.
I tried to search for martin retros in my country and could not find them. Any suggestions of shops that could ship them to Brazil?
So far my favorite was the daddario NB (You can hear the last breath of them on the h5 demo in soundcloud). A lot of texture without being bright right out of the box. But i was a bit disappointed about how long they lasted considering the premium price and the advertising of "long lasting". The first strings lost they zing and the third started to buzz from core "unwraping" just two months in. When cheaper strings lasted longer.

I recorded just a few hours after changing. It already sounds mellower.
From my previous experience with PB they tend to darken a lot after the first week while still retaining a bit of zing in the first strings. I think they'll be perfect in the long run. That extra tension and the .001 increase in gauge for the 3th and 6th strings also seems to be a good compromise for playing in open tunings without the chance of a lighter built guitar desintegrating from too much tension. But we will see.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaorden9 View Post
Nice playing... by the way.... you can edit your video and sound in Reaper.
Thanks!
I tried to open the video on reaper, but for some reason it remained in offline state.
I'm still trying to figure out the kinda confusing work mechanics of reaper...
Like making entire wav files when saving the same project instead of overwriting (that doesnt make sense, haha). And how the effects don't change when loading another previosly saved project.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Mike in a little closer for a warmer sound. Try to play without so much fret buzzing. Post record tweaks with such as a short tail reverb is you wish. Upload to youtube with a high resolution video.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Ernie Ball aluminum bronze have a good tone also and last I checked they were a few dollars cheaper than the D'Addario NB strings.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-27-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Mike in a little closer for a warmer sound. Try to play without so much fret buzzing. Post record tweaks with such as a short tail reverb is you wish. Upload to youtube with a high resolution video.
I think the fret buzz will only go away with either higher than i can handle action or with very light playing.
Maybe a slight increase in relief is in order since the fret buzz its a bit more evident up to the 6th fret.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ernie Ball aluminum bronze have a good tone also and last I checked they were a few dollars cheaper than the D'Addario NB strings.
I'll look into them

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell