The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 PM

Default Voyage Air VAOM-2C worth?

I was wondering what people think about this guitar... Would you recommend it above other guitars or is it not worth it? For anyone who has played it, did you like it or are there a bunch of other guitars that just sound better for similar price? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 AM

The ONLY reason to get a Voyage-Air (IMO) is to take advantage of its portability. They are decent guitars, but nothing special, and if that ease of transport isn't an issue, one can do better for the same money.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 AM

When the voyage aire guitars first came out, I had one on loan for a couple of weeks. I believe the model numbers have changed since then, but the one I had was an all solid wood Sitka over mahogany. That guitar played as well and sounded better than my Martin OM-16GT. I could detect no negative trade off for the folding neck.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
The ONLY reason to get a Voyage-Air (IMO) is to take advantage of its portability. They are decent guitars, but nothing special, and if that ease of transport isn't an issue, one can do better for the same money.
I can't comment on the VAOM-2C or other all-solid models, but I disagree with this blanket assessment of Voyage-Air guitars. Several years ago I purchased a VAOM-04 for $499. I bought it and continue to use it strictly as a travel guitar. But I've never played another similarly priced guitar that, to me, sounded or played better, particularly after I added a nice bone saddle. It hasn't convinced me to give up my other guitars, but I do think it is something special at its price point.

Nick
Old 05-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I use my VA OM-1C every time I have to board a plane. It's a great guitar for gigging while traveling like that but it can't compare to my H&D for obvious reasons.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I would argue precisely the opposite. At around $400 street price (cheaper, if bought used), their VAOM-04/06 models will compete with anything in that price point, beating most. Add to it the convenience of a guitar that will fold in half and go into a backpack and you have a real winner.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
I would argue precisely the opposite. At around $400 street price (cheaper, if bought used), their VAOM-04/06 models will compete with anything in that price point, beating most. Add to it the convenience of a guitar that will fold in half and go into a backpack and you have a real winner.
Yeah, I concur.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:06 PM

I use my VAOM 2C for travel and band rehearsals when I don't want to carry a case. I've also used it as a back up second guitar on gigs because it's easy to carry. I got it at a deep discount in my local music superstore and it needed a good set up. I added a jjb pickup too.

The lads used to complain when I brought it instead of my LG2 so we did a blind listening test and they had to admit that it sounded pretty good. It just doesn't look as cool. And it never will.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
I can't comment on the VAOM-2C or other all-solid models, but I disagree with this blanket assessment of Voyage-Air guitars. Several years ago I purchased a VAOM-04 for $499. I bought it and continue to use it strictly as a travel guitar. But I've never played another similarly priced guitar that, to me, sounded or played better, particularly after I added a nice bone saddle. It hasn't convinced me to give up my other guitars, but I do think it is something special at its price point.

Nick
I agree with Nick. It's a good guitar.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

I had a VAOM-2c. Fantastic guitar. I sold it to get the dread version. Just needed a bit more volume to keep up in a jam situation.

As for "worth the price"' it all depends on what you can get it for. Full retail was a bit high, and from what I understand the all solid wood guitars did not sell well (I think the VAOM is the only solid wood guitar they still make). But they are well made and sound very good. If what you need is a good guitar that travels well then it's a great choice. If you have the money you can have Harvey Leach, the designer of the voyage Air make you a custom foldable guitar. But custom made comes with a custom price.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I use my VA OM-1C every time I have to board a plane. It's a great guitar for gigging while traveling like that but it can't compare to my H&D for obvious reasons.
Right, and that was the point of my post. Not to take anything away from VA guitars, but their main attraction is portability. For some (like you) it's a godsend.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandakai View Post
I was wondering what people think about this guitar... Would you recommend it above other guitars or is it not worth it? For anyone who has played it, did you like it or are there a bunch of other guitars that just sound better for similar price? Thanks!
Hi Pandakai
First of all, Hello and welcome to the forum!

I own a Voyage-Air VAOM-06 which is solid top and laminate sides. This is a wonderful guitar, and less than ˝ price of the all solid version.

My opinion is other makes of guitars sound better in the same price range as the VAOM-2c.

The advantage of my Voyage-Air is it travels in the RV or plane extremely well, and I have a full-sized, full-scale guitar to play and practice on when I arrive. And it sounds good in the room and through amps or PA systems as well.

I would never replace my better guitars with one.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Right, and that was the point of my post. Not to take anything away from VA guitars, but their main attraction is portability. For some (like you) it's a godsend.
I have not played the VA guitar in question, so have no opinion either way, but it seems your point that people were taking exception to was that you could do better "for the same money," not for a bunch more money, which I'm guessing Toby's H&D is.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:59 AM

Default Voyage Air VAOM-2C worth?

Are the H&D and VAOM2c in same price range? My 2c cost @$1400. It doesn't compare to my Froggys. It's for travel and satisfying to play. Much more than most entry level equivalents.
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 AM

I had one for a while. Quite a good guitar. However, it ended up being a "no-man's land" for me - it wasn't as good-sounding as my (more expensive) handbuilt guitars, and it wasn't as convenient or portable as the carbon fiber Journey Overhead I later bought.

I sold it, and now use the Journey when I need true (fits in any overhead) portability, which usually involves uncontrolled humidity on trips anyway, where the CF really shines.

I found I was worrying about the Voyage-Air too much (the case is quite permeable to temperature and humidity, so depending on which trips you take, this can be an issue even with a humidifier in the case). I also found myself worrying about whether it would actually fit where I needed it to - small planes and trains where I live turned out not to fit the Voyage-Air half the time. The Journey has fit in every single one, and I don't have to care about what temperature/humidity changes might occur during the trip. It's very liberating.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion