The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 AM

Default The maple thread

Some more questions about maple here (I know the importance of the top wood, builder, bracings and so on, it's just a pure theoretic question):

1. I was wondering what mechanical aspect had to do with european maple's (Acer Pseudoplatanus) tendency to dampen some frequencies, does it have to do with the wood hardness/softness, or stiffness, density...?

2. I am also wondering why some describes european maple as sounding "loud", when this tonewood is just damping some frequencies? On Martin's website, european maple's description is:

"Also called Fiddleback or Tiger Maple. Traditional tonewood for violins. Highly dense and reflective, wood yielding a loud, projective, and sustained tone"

3. The fact that maple is said to have a quick response, isn't it antagonist to having a slow velocity?
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Johan,
The sooner you start ignoring most of those things you've read, the better.

Seriously.

Violins have as much sustain as the bow is long.

:-)

HE
Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Johan,

Seriously.

HE
Haha, this could have been the fourth question, why violins and cellos are made of maple
Just trying to get some better theoretic understanding
Jackson US Soloist

Old 05-05-2016, 12:53 PM

The bowed family use -mainly- maple for back & side because at the time (end of 17th/beginning of 18th century), maple was, among the locally available woods, the one which fitted the bill the best. Guys like Guarnerius or Stradivarius tested just about everything for top, side and back, and for the bow, too. They settled on spruce, maple, and pernambouc, respectively, then tradition came, and in that field, the tradition is *strong*.
When I was 20, I was an apprentice in Mirecourt, and I was going to be the next Stradivarius, I tell ya... It didn't take long (like a few days) for me to back up solid. Don't take lightly 3 centuries of experimentation.
A lot of people tried to built a better violin, specially the french school in the 19th century. And they were mighty good. Not enough to change anything, tho.
It's a case of : if it don't break, don't fix it.

Now, I'm sure you can build violin with, say, mahogany. Or oak, or walnut. Actually it has been done.
Problem is, the classical music players (the big violin market) don't feel a urge to use *that* sound or look, whatever it is. So...

And, BTW, find a guitar you like, and play it.
Or, better yet, find *several* guitars you like. Have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 05-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
The bowed family use -mainly- maple for back & side because at the time (end of 17th/beginning of 18th century), maple was, among the locally available woods, the one which fitted the bill the best. Guys like Guarnerius or Stradivarius tested just about everything for top, side and back, and for the bow, too. They settled on spruce, maple, and pernambouc, respectively, then tradition came, and in that field, the tradition is *strong*.
When I was 20, I was an apprentice in Mirecourt, and I was going to be the next Stradivarius, I tell ya... It didn't take long (like a few days) for me to back up solid. Don't take lightly 3 centuries of experimentation.
A lot of people tried to built a better violin, specially the french school in the 19th century. And they were mighty good. Not enough to change anything, tho.

Now, I'm sure you can build violin with, say, mahogany. Or oak, or walnut. Actually it has been done.
Problem is, the classical music players (the big violin market) don't feel a urge to use *that* sound or look, whatever it is. So...

Sure the tradition is strong in the classical world! But I guess some maple's tonal properties also work well with those instruments
Jackson US Soloist

Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 PM

As far as I know, all wood should have dampening qualities when it comes to sound, it's the degree of dampening and which specific frequencies of sound that a wood dampens more in comparison to other ones that makes tonewoods different from each other. So maple is "loud" because it is compared to other guitars built with other tonewoods, and more often than not it DOES make a louder guitar relative to most other tonewoods
Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Johan,

Seriously.

HE
+1! But what about under a Blue Moon at >32.04 inHg with Relative Humidity steady at 45% and an ambient temperature at 72 degrees Fahrenheit?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post

... and then builders can go rogue and craft with carbon fiber, which in some recent blind-listening tests subjects preferred the tone of compared to 250-year-old violins from the masters.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepokemon View Post
As far as I know, all wood should have dampening qualities when it comes to sound, it's the degree of dampening and which specific frequencies of sound that a wood dampens more in comparison to other ones that makes tonewoods different from each other. So maple is "loud" because it is compared to other guitars built with other tonewoods, and more often than not it DOES make a louder guitar relative to most other tonewoods
But shouldn't a "less" dampening tonewood as mahogany or rosewood sound louder, all things being equal of course?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Maple

This may or may not be a related question, but here it is.

Why should damping or sustain be an issue on a bowed instrument? There's a constant source of energy input, the bow, unlike guitar, where the string is momentarily struck and left to ring.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
This may or may not be a related question, but here it is.

Why should damping or sustain be an issue on a bowed instrument? There's a constant source of energy input, the bow, unlike guitar, where the string is momentarily struck and left to ring.
This is perfectly right concerning the sustain, but damping certain frequencies affects the tone directly, even with a bow, doesn't it?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 05-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Default Damping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
This is perfectly right concerning the sustain, but damping certain frequencies affects the tone directly, even with a bow, doesn't it?
So I guess we're talking about frequency response rather than damping?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
So I guess we're talking about frequency response rather than damping?
Isn't that related? As the frequency response will be impacted of the tonewood damping properties?
Jackson US Soloist

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
maple