The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Default I did it...I found Zen...unfortunately

Some people spend years meditating, trying to reach that point of total emptiness of mind. I found that place....unfortunately for me, it was in the middle of performing a song. It was surreal....a song I've played hundreds of times....AN EASY SONG. Yet there I was, about a third into Bob Marley's "Redemption Song", and everything went blank. Not only did I forget the song, I couldn't even remember what song I had been playing. The quiet emptiness in my mind was quickly replaced with pure terror. Luckily, the crowd started singing where I had left off, and I was able to pick it back up at that point. Everyone has goofed up a song at one point or another, but this was a first, and hopefully last for me. I was so into the song, then it was gone....like when you wake up from a dream and have zero idea what it was about. Maybe I fell asleep....lol
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

happens to me all the time. drives my cats crazy
Old 05-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I've been seeing a lot of that out here in Colorado

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I do mostly original stuff. Some times when I forget a lyric I make up stuff that is better. Sometimes..........and sometimes it is crash and burn.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-05-2016, 12:25 PM

Sounds like you're suffering from AGE! My advice is to hone this propensity to skill level and use it when confronted with boorish types or the officer that just pulled you over. You never know when faking Alzheimers symptoms might come in handy.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 PM

I played in a band in the mid 70's and the bass player would do this frequently,
although his was chemically induced.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:39 PM

I practice meditation and read extensively on the topic.
Don't think that's zen. Maybe just nodding off...
Just my two cents.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:52 PM

Default dont you love it

Brain farts are the best
Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I try to play by memory but at my age memory is not that dependable. What you describe happens far to frequently.

I usually don't forget the song, just what comes next. As a finger style (picker?) soloist who doesn't sing, going blank is hard to cover for. The sound of silence from the guitar is a dead give away for the audience (LOL).

Dave
Old 05-05-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonrox View Post
I practice meditation and read extensively on the topic.
Don't think that's zen. Maybe just nodding off...
Just my two cents.
I'm 100% certain it wasn't Zen.....quite the opposite actually. There was no inner peace.....I stared into the abyss...I saw a lonesome soul....I spoke softly offering help, only to be whispering into my own ear.

All joking aside, it was anything but Zen. I was just trying to make a lame joke.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWalkingBlues View Post
Some people spend years meditating, trying to reach that point of total emptiness of mind. I found that place....unfortunately for me, it was in the middle of performing a song. It was surreal....a song I've played hundreds of times....AN EASY SONG. Yet there I was, about a third into Bob Marley's "Redemption Song", and everything went blank. Not only did I forget the song, I couldn't even remember what song I had been playing. The quiet emptiness in my mind was quickly replaced with pure terror. Luckily, the crowd started singing where I had left off, and I was able to pick it back up at that point. Everyone has goofed up a song at one point or another, but this was a first, and hopefully last for me. I was so into the song, then it was gone....like when you wake up from a dream and have zero idea what it was about. Maybe I fell asleep....lol
I know the feeling!!! I don't know what causes it, but at least for me it isn't drugs lol

Here's a YT of a song I sang for Father's Day three years ago (Jimmy Blinn's "I Still Can't Say Goodbye"). During the song I lost my way and sang the wrong line during the bridge - and had to make up a line on the spot. But I think if you don't know the song well ya can't tell there was a brain-fart.

I realized I was singing the wrong lyric half way through the line - I went into complete panic and almost fainted - in the brief period before the next line started I made up something ---- that rhymed!

Old 05-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWalkingBlues View Post
I did that in the middle of a rendition of "The Dutchman."
Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I try to play by memory but at my age memory is not that dependable. What you describe happens far to frequently.

I usually don't forget the song, just what comes next. As a finger style (picker?) soloist who doesn't sing, going blank is hard to cover for. The sound of silence from the guitar is a dead give away for the audience (LOL).

Dave
immediately begin humming the melody and wave at the audience to join you while you frantically hunt for the missing words.

or
you've just stated one good reason why lyric sheets are helpful during a performance.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-05-2016, 02:26 PM

I didn't notice any mistakes Mark Stone and it's a good song.
You've got nice legs
Old 05-05-2016, 02:58 PM

Not sure this is what happened to you, but I sometimes find if I'm playing something really well - often usually not something I'm singing, but an instrumental that starts sounding fantastic, -- if I get too carried away becoming absorbed in it, the part of my brain that is supposed to be remembering what comes next sort of become eclipsed, and I have to become a bit less of a listener, and a bit more of a performer, increasing focus on the more mundane aspects of the next phrase to be played.

Zen Satori does include emptying the mind of the train of thoughts that typically distracts us, but what is then discovered, is a more expansive and joyous awareness.

Sounds like you had a memory lapse, just got distracted and forgot where you were, or perhaps, became completely absorbed in what you were hearing, and stopped thinking about the mechanics of playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion