The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 PM

Default Best/safest guitar stand

I would like to get some feedback on guitar stands. I have about 10 acoustics/electrics that I like to keep out (not in their cases). I currently have 2 Hercules GS432B stands that hold 3 guitars each. When I first got these stands I thought they were the best thing ever invented. I liked them so much that I got my brother one for his birthday. However, this past weekend the locking mechanism that adjusts the height broke during the night and his Les Paul fell down hitting one of the legs of the stand causing some damage to the guitar. Luckily he only had one guitar in his stand that holds 3 guitars. Turns out the plastic sometimes fails and this is something that happens from time to time with these stands. It has me pretty freaked out considering I'm entrusting these stands with some pretty expensive instruments. So far the safest and most space saving option I've been able to come up with is a guitar "rack" style. Wall hanging is not an option because of the number of guitars.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I recommend these from K&M: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...e-guitar-stand

Holds five electrics and or acoustics. Will not hurt nitro finishes either. I bought mine from a local store (Jim's Music) and it was less than the link above.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNowlin View Post
... I currently have 2 Hercules GS432B stands that hold 3 guitars each. When I first got these stands I thought they were the best thing ever invented. ....
I dislike that 3-git stand for the reason that it becomes unstable when only one guitar is in place.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNowlin View Post
...Turns out the plastic sometimes fails and this is something that happens from time to time with these stands. ....

That sounds like a pretty authoritative condemnation. I've been actively buying, using and discussing Hercules stands for years and never once, in any discussion or forum have I ever heard this mentioned ever.

Can you elaborate on that "factual" statement?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM

I don't have any direct experience with Hercules stands, but have researched them online. Hercules stands seem to have an unhealthy tendency to either become gooey, or have the plastic fail. Folks report not being able to find a phone number to get support, and that Hercules often does not respond to emailed support requests.

So far, the poor reviews on longevity, and the reported lack of customer support has caused me to purchase other brands.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:54 PM

I can't speak to safest, my guitars are at their safest when I'm not out using them, even laying on the floor is safer than a bar, so that's up to you.

Best? Oh yeah, I know best:

http://atlas-stands.com/

Spensive but well worth it.

rct
Old 05-04-2016, 12:55 PM

On the right side of the front page where the sponsors are, down by the bottom is an entry for Guitar Storage. I use a couple of these, keep most of them in their cases. GREAT stuff!

rct
Old 05-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
That sounds like a pretty authoritative condemnation. I've been actively buying, using and discussing Hercules stands for years and never once, in any discussion or forum have I ever heard this mentioned ever.

I haven't had that problem, but a double did disintegrate on me ... the grabber at the top fell apart. Hercules was NO help ... wouldn't replace it (I didn't have receipt) nor would they sell me the little piece I needed to replace. Since then I've used ONLY Ultimate Stands GS100. Less expensive, fold smaller, no mechanical hokum to break. Hercs might be OK if you never leave the house, but on the road they suck. (yeah, strong opinion and I'm entitled to it).
Old 05-04-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a pretty authoritative condemnation. Can you elaborate on that "factual" statement?
Gibson forums can, lots of complainin about wrecking the nitro and the plastic vaporizing, and especially the bit about nobody to call or write to.

I've never used one that I know of.

rct
Old 05-04-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I haven't had that problem, but a double did disintegrate on me ... the grabber at the top fell apart. Hercules was NO help ... wouldn't replace it (I didn't have receipt) nor would they sell me the little piece I needed to replace. Since then I've used ONLY Ultimate Stands GS100. Less expensive, fold smaller, no mechanical hokum to break. Hercs might be OK if you never leave the house, but on the road they suck. (yeah, strong opinion and I'm entitled to it).
Wow, that really runs contrary to all the good I've read about Hercules customer service here, but I guess no company gets it right 100% of the time. I also use Ultimate, but the GS200. Great stand
Old 05-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I recommend these from K&M: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...e-guitar-stand

Holds five electrics and or acoustics. Will not hurt nitro finishes either. I bought mine from a local store (Jim's Music) and it was less than the link above.
+1 for the K&M. I have been using them for 3 years and they are very stable and haven't damaged my nitro finish
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM

I use one of these http://guitar-stor.com/GSToplessDeluxe.html and are of great quality. I keep mine in their case, but you could go either way.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:

I'm not bashing Hercules and I'm actually looking into a Hercules Guitar Rack. I'm not saying their products suck, but I have anecdotal evidence from my brother and when I googled it several hits came up. This stand is holding up well over 10K of Martin guitars btw and that makes me justifiably uncomfortable.

http://roy.vanegas.org/thoughts/fix-...d-for-about-1/

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...s#.Vyp1MWNH23I

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/137...?topic=31509.0

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/hist...want-look.html
Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 PM

All are safe used responsibly. None are safe when careless around them. I use these (different names by different sellers) and have never had even a close call so - BE CAREFUL and you'll be fine with most of them.

stand.jpg
Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Guest 1928

I like Hamilton stands. They're all steel, very stable, and adaptable from guitar to mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion