The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 AM

I like the Ibanez a lot but I do not think it can hold its own with the above. But it's a fine budget guitar.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I like the Ibanez a lot but I do not think it can hold its own with the above. But it's a fine budget guitar.
I see a lot of these comments and I wonder exactly what about the AC240 can't "hold it's own". Tone wise it absolutely can hold it's own against instruments much higher price. It has great sustain and intonation, neck is super easy to play and the wide nut accommodate finger style play very well. I've owned a Martin 000-15 (not a 552e, but a American built hog by brand name builder) and if I had to rebuy one of these two instruments, it would be the AC240 namely because of the wider nut. Each guitar has a unique tone, but the non subjective are things like: sustain, warmth, brightness, clarity, etc... Combine that with the build quality and you have the characteristics that allow guitar A to hold it's own against guitar B. I think a lot of people just can't get beyond the price points being so varied so they are suspicious and say "it's not in the same league" but that's confusing to someone on a tight budget who's trying to decide if he should give up that road trip to Vegas with his buddies to buy the Taylor 552e instead of the AC240. My reply here is aimed considering someone in that kind of situation.

Truthfully what you are paying for in the Taylor is that last 10% of detail difference in craftsmanship, more bling (gloss finish, bindings, etc...), the Taylor brand name and street credit the brand name buys you for playing a big builders brand (what everyone likes to say doesn't matter, but of course it does because musicians are generally incredibly insecure people), peace of mind in the warranty and customer service, etc... If you add in all the things mentioned in this paragraph then I would agree the AC240 can't hold it's own, but if you're just looking at the two guitars as a working musicians tool s of the trade the AC240 absolutely can in my book. The Guild M120 can too.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-06-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
I see a lot of these comments and I wonder exactly what about the AC240 can't "hold it's own".
You will not get a satisfactory answer to this question simply because it is made in China.
That will change someday but not anytime soon.
Kinda like how the plywood and formica Martins are so hyped around here. Weird.

I play my AC240 almost daily and while not my favorite guitar it is a fine instrument.
I have flashlighted and mirrored inside and out and found not a single flaw of any type.
My only complaint lately is the sustain seems to have gotten so long that sometimes it annoys me so that I stop playing just to listen.

I got mine several years ago for $240.00 at one of those GC 20% off sales.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I see a lot of these comments and I wonder exactly what about the AC240 can't "hold it's own". Tone wise it absolutely can hold it's own against instruments much higher price. It has great sustain and intonation, neck is super easy to play and the wide nut accommodate finger style play very well. I've owned a Martin 000-15 (not a 552e, but a American built hog by brand name builder) and if I had to rebuy one of these two instruments, it would be the AC240 namely because of the wider nut. Each guitar has a unique tone, but the non subjective are things like: sustain, warmth, brightness, clarity, etc... Combine that with the build quality and you have the characteristics that allow guitar A to hold it's own against guitar B. I think a lot of people just can't get beyond the price points being so varied so they are suspicious and say "it's not in the same league" but that's confusing to someone on a tight budget who's trying to decide if he should give up that road trip to Vegas with his buddies to buy the Taylor 552e instead of the AC240. My reply here is aimed considering someone in that kind of situation.

Truthfully what you are paying for in the Taylor is that last 10% of detail difference in craftsmanship, more bling (gloss finish, bindings, etc...), the Taylor brand name and street credit the brand name buys you for playing a big builders brand (what everyone likes to say doesn't matter, but of course it does because musicians are generally incredibly insecure people), peace of mind in the warranty and customer service, etc... If you add in all the things mentioned in this paragraph then I would agree the AC240 can't hold it's own, but if you're just looking at the two guitars as a working musicians tool s of the trade the AC240 absolutely can in my book. The Guild M120 can too.
I envy you if your hearing can't differentiate between a $300 guitar and a $2000+ guitar. It sure would save me a lot of money.

As I said have owned the Ac240 and it's a fine guitar but if you put a blindfold on me I would still be able to pick each out. But if you can't that's fine too. I know my mom could never hear the difference between my $100 speakers and the $1500 ones I once bought.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
You will not get a satisfactory answer to this question simply because it is made in China.
Not really accurate. Though the ac240 is a great guitar for the price the Eastman I once owned was way better and that was built in china. So was a Bedell parlor I owned.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I envy you if your hearing can't differentiate between a $300 guitar and a $2000+ guitar. It sure would save me a lot of money.

As I said have owned the Ac240 and it's a fine guitar but if you put a blindfold on me I would still be able to pick each out. But if you can't that's fine too. I know my mom could never hear the difference between my $100 speakers and the $1500 ones I once bought.
I never said there was not a difference in tone. There certainly is. But is that difference good or bad? You have the subjective and the non-subjective aspects of good tone and bad tone. It's is narrow minded to think the more money you spend always buys you better tone. That is not an opinion that's productive to this group, it is ignorance and it's determent information for someone on a budget asking the honest question "Is this $300 really that far about from this $2300 guitar".

It's the amateur player who thinks more $$$ will always give you a better sounding instrument. Truthfully, spending a few grand on a brand name instrument does buy you consistency, quality, warranty, street credit when you're on stage, etc... But someone with good ears who's been playing a while will be able to find the dimonds in the rough in the intermediate price range $300-$800 where Epiphone Masterbuilts live, where the Taylor GS Mini lives, where this Ibanez lives. That's the reality. If you want to spend your life playing a Taylor, Martin, Gibson, etc.. thinking of how awesome it is you play brand name pro guitar X that your favorite idol has played for years. Great. Don't assume others are the fools. They aren't. There are plenty of great reasons to buy a brand name high end guitar but those on a budget with well attuned ears that have the confidence not to care what the world thinks of the name on the head stock, would probably be better off finding something off the radar. A guitar like the Ibanez AC240 fits that bill well.

Regarding qualuty of tone. What I said (or was trying to say) is that when it comes to tone what separates a professional instrument from a non-pro instrument fall into categories. You have some things that are non-subjective. Sustain, Warmth, Brightness, Clarity, Clang, etc.. And some things that are not. For the same reasons a Martin 000-15 sounds little like a Taylor 522 the Ibanez AC240 sounds little like a Taylor 522. IT"S BECAUSE THEY ARENT BUILT THE SAME. It's difficult to use words to articulate tonal character but it's there. Can a sub $1000 guitar sound as good as one that cost thousands. Yes. No question whatsoever in my mind. Epiphone Masterbuilt, Blueridge, Eastman and a handful of specific models are tonally in leagues with instruments that cost thousands. The Ibanez AC240 is one of those instruments. You're free to your snot-nose opnion. I've been playing for over 26 years and have owned many "pro grade" guitars. Martin D28, Guild D25, Martin 000-15. I've also owned the Ibanez AC240 for many years. How many all mahogany guitars have you owned? Have you spent years with an AC240? If you haven't why are you trying to give advise and discredit someone who actually has experience with this instrument?

I hope the OP considers a lot of the feedback given in this thread seems to be from people without much experience with the two instruments who are just very quick to make an assumption that Taylor=good and must be better without giving any further thought to what OP is trying to get to... A reason to spend several grand more on a guitar A over guitar B. As with any hobby, you have brand loyalist and those who are quick to judge anything outside the spotlight. It's threads like these that make me want to leave this group for good, but then I'm reminded of the great old timers here who helped me consider non-name brands. For the working musician and budget minded hobbits (chrome spell corrected hobbyist to hobbits, how funny), It's not about X being better than Y, it's about X being as stage worthy as Y. OP that's where my perspective is coming from. These are both great instruments. As already stated with the Taylor you are paying for a lot of ornamentation. Keep in mind the model mentioned is several hundred dollars more than even the Martin 000-15. The Taylor you're looking at would be my last choice for a all hog 00 or 000 style guitar, but that's not because it doesn't sound great. It's just a matter of personal preference and my dislike for feature choices Taylor made with this model.

I hope you've gotten some constructive advice here among the very bad, highly opined responses.

My music

My guitars

Last edited by Rmz76; 05-06-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Not really accurate. Though the ac240 is a great guitar for the price the Eastman I once owned was way better and that was built in china. So was a Bedell parlor I owned.
The AC240 is a great guitar period. Explain in detail what is cheap about it beyond your subjective opinion about it's tone. Out of respect for the OP please tell us beyond brand name and country of origin very specific things that put the AC240 in a such a different league. It has laminated back and sides, which like the GS Mini doesn't seem to impact the tonal character of this well designed guitar whatsoever. If you think laminate back and sides automatically place it in a lower unprofessional league that is an ignorant opinion. With he AC240 I had, the frets were a little sharp and fret board a bit rougher than higher end models. Those are the only tangibles and to think those details are going to be worth paying 3-6x the price for every player is ridiculous. The fact that he's posing this question means he's probably budget conscious. Again, can we try to help provide the OP with constructive thoughts and details to help him decide if the extra cost will be worthwhile to him?

My music

My guitars
Old 05-06-2016, 12:59 PM

This is ridiculous. Why would you think a $300 laminate would be as good as a $2000 + guitar?

I owned the ac240. I liked the AC 240. But put any $2000 guitar in front of and I'll tell you which one I'll take. If you don't understand that there is nothing I can say to make you understand.

There is great for the money and there is just great.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The AC240 is a great guitar period. Explain in detail what is cheap about it beyond your subjective opinion about it's tone.

The fact that he's posing this question means he's probably budget conscious.
Isn't each person's subjective tone the most important thing when deciding? If the OP can't tell the difference, get the AC240. If he can than get the Taylor. If money is a concern than get the AC240.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
But is that difference good or bad?

It's is narrow minded to think the more money you spend always buys you better tone.

That is not an opinion that's productive to this group, it is ignorance and it's determent information for someone on a budget asking the honest question "Is this $300 really that far about from this $2300 guitar".

I

The difference is good.

Nobody said that more money ALWAYS gets you better tone. But in most cases it does and in THIS case, (to my ears) it DOES and for those two guitars i have actually played the $2,300 is by far better than the $300.

And to actually answer the OPs question, I would say that a used Martin OM-15 would be in the middle. They can be had for about $800.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

In terms of value is the Taylor worth that much more than the difference between the two?

No way.

Is it worth the difference to the person who buys the Taylor? Of course it is.

How much are you willing to pay for the difference is the question. I recently decided to get rid of my Guild all solid wood GAD 30R for a martin. Maybe not the wisest choice but it is what it is.

I replaced it with an 000M lam B/S Martin. Now on paper the Guild is a much better guitar, but to me the Martin is what I wanted so that's what I got. I wanted a higher end Martin but I had to make the decision if the price of the higher end is worth it to me, for a guitar that is not my everyday player. That answer was no.

I know we all say the same things over and over on these questions but it really does come down to is it worth it to you. Only you can answer that because as you see, some here will say yes, and others will say no, because they are basing it on their wants needs and desires. (I think that's in a song somewhere)
Old 05-06-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
In terms of value is the Taylor worth that much more than the difference between the two?

No way.

Is it worth the difference to the person who buys the Taylor? Of course it is.

How much are you willing to pay for the difference is the question. I recently decided to get rid of my Guild all solid wood GAD 30R for a martin. Maybe not the wisest choice but it is what it is.

I replaced it with an 000M lam B/S Martin. Now on paper the Guild is a much better guitar, but to me the Martin is what I wanted so that's what I got. I wanted a higher end Martin but I had to make the decision if the price of the higher end is worth it to me, for a guitar that is not my everyday player. That answer was no.

I know we all say the same things over and over on these questions but it really does come down to is it worth it to you. Only you can answer that because as you see, some here will say yes, and others will say no, because they are basing it on their wants needs and desires. (I think that's in a song somewhere)
Well said.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:37 PM

Oh, heck. Just play what you like and can afford.

BTW, I found the comparison between the Taylor 522e 12 fret and the Martin 000-15 12 fret eye-opening. Great video.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM

I've never wanted my $2k guitars to play and feel like or sound like $3hunnert guitars, but I have wanted the other way around.

There is far more to it than the name on the pointy end, particularly when you take them out. If you intend to be playin that thing, money spent can often be directly related to length of life of that guitar. And, when you are in ButtScratch Farfromhome and need fixed or parts, I know which one I'd rather have.

I've never regretted spending $2k on a guitar, but I have very often regretted spending $3hunnert on one. Which is why I'm about to let a few less expensive guitars go in trade for prolly another tasty CFMartin more than likely.*

Well, my Hello Kitty is different, it was a gift, came at the right time, and it was my darling Prudence's favorite guitar to lay on, so it means way more than the couple hundred bucks it was. Gigs like a mofo too.

Good luck. You are going down a long road that hopefully you'll get along pretty far and not regret the turns you've made.

rct

*Even then I won't go over $2k out the door. Guitars are something I use. I don't need a 4 thousand dollar tone machine, I need something I can stick a Markley in and plug into my amp and make the audience believe I use a 4 thousand dollar tone machine.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:33 PM

Unhappy

Quote:

Ah, I bet it was a real bummer when your mum couldn't appreciate your nice expensive hifi system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion