The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Question Peavey LP-001...Help to make it play better

I know its a big POS, but I am looking to just use it as a guitar to play out by the fire at the bay...something I couldn't care less whether or not it gets a ding.

I am pretty handy and have looked at some Youtube how-to videos but I think some advice from people who know might be wise. I've never worked on a guitar.

Anything I can do to make this guitar play better besides put some good quality strings on it and adjust the truss rod? If I am wasting my time, and shouldn't screw with it, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Freed

Last edited by Freedbaby; 01-26-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedbaby View Post
I know its a big POS, but I am looking to just use it as a guitar to play out by the fire at the bay...something I couldn't care less whether or not it gets a ding.

I am pretty handy and have looked at some Youtube how-to videos but I think some advice from people who know might be wise. I've never worked on a guitar.

Anything I can do to make this guitar play better besides put some good quality strings on it and adjust the truss rod? If I am wasting my time, and shouldn't screw with it, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Freed
"play better" is subjective and since you have described the guitar rather accurately, what would you like to see improved?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
"play better" is subjective and since you have described the guitar rather accurately, what would you like to see improved?
I have never played it to be honest with you, I play a Martin or a telecaster at home...I just need a beater but all the reviews I've read on this guitar are horrible...just wondering if I can "make it work" without spending much money on it.

Jay
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM

whenever i'm asked to upgrade/make playable such a guitar what inevitably happens (not in this order) is that i:

-ditch the plastic nut and saddle and make new ones of better material.
-compensate the new saddle.
-toss the tuners. they usually suck on horrible guitars.
-do a complete setup. check neck angle first though. this will determine the rest of the "upgrade" possibilities. level and dress frets as needed, set relief, set action, etc...
-toss the plastic bridge pins and replace with solids.
-ream the bridge pin holes to the correct taper to match the pins.
-cut and ramp string slots.

i have time, tools, and material on my side. you may not and you'll probably spend more on these things then the price of the guitar.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
whenever i'm asked to upgrade/make playable such a guitar what inevitably happens (not in this order) is that i:

-do a complete setup. check neck angle first though. this will determine the rest of the "upgrade" possibilities. level and dress frets as needed, set relief, set action, etc...

i have time, tools, and material on my side. you may not and you'll probably spend more on these things then the price of the guitar.
just what I wanted to know...thanks. I will give it away.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The nut

It can only affect the sound of open strings, and the amount of that effect is debatable. It might be worth replacing with bone later if you really like the guitar.

The saddle.

If, eventually, you want to raise or lower the action then a new saddle is the way to go and you should make it frome bone. A bone saddle blank can be bought online for very little money. There are loads of tutorials online that will show you how to do this but if your action is OK it can be left undone.

The tuners.

You may, or may not, have been born in the 'throw away generation' but you don't have to throw away your tuners. Remove them, thoroughly clean them, lubricate them with grease and graphite, worm, cog and bearing surfaces and then reassemble and re-fit and you might be surprised at the difference.

Bridge pins

There's lots of controversy over the effects of different pin materials. They may or may not affect the sound of the instrument but they won't affect the playability.

The same goes for correct pin taper and ramped slots.

Don't get me wrong. All these processes are worth doing on a quality guitar but on a beater it's a different world.

There is one fault that can ruin the playability of any guitar. If the nut is set too high it can make the guitar a pain to play. You check this by putting a capo on at the first fret. If the guitar is easier to play then the strings are coming off the nut too high. There are online articles showing you how to correct this. It is an excellent first step in DIY guitar maintainance. Articles exist which show you how to set relief and check action height as well. You don't have to spend loads of money.

Last edited by stanron; 01-26-2015 at 04:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair