The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 PM

Default Martin DC-28E sounds wrong!

Hi guys,

I own a Martin DC-28E serial No. 1278405 purchased in Western Australia.

Recently I have noticed that the guitar does not sound in tune when tuned to an accurate electronic tuner and I have to make flat and sharp adjustments to get the sound 'right'. I have also noticed that the string action at the 12th fret seems a bit high. (See photo attached.)

On closer inspection of the heel of the neck I can see a small gap (see photo) between the upper bout and the heel. I don't know if this is normal. The guitar has not been played much and has been kept in the hard case for most of its life and cared for properly.

Does this look like a neck reset (yikes!) or is it adjustable?

Recommendations for an Australian Luthier would be welcome as shipping to Martin is not an option.

Thanks for your help,

Photos here...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ft2qcfj3t...nXQ3MLF3a?dl=0

"Atheism. Celebrate reason."

Gibson SJ200 Custom Elite 2011
Martin DC-28E (175th Anniversary Issue)
Yamaha AES1500-B
Yamaha FG-580 (Circa 1976)

Last edited by Moonshadow; 01-25-2015 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Paste link
Old 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM

I think you have a serious problem developing there and before more damage is caused I think you should back off the strings to reduce neck tension and take it to a luthier to be assessed for repairs.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 PM

The neck joint needs to be reglued, adding a shim to make it tight against the body. With a dovetail joint, the chance of any further damage is remote, because the joint will come tight from string tension once the slack is gone. I am sure it is to that point now.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:45 PM

Agreed. The neck needs some work. Obviously the string height at the 12th fret is too high, but wait until the neck is repaired as it will undoubtedly help.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
Hi guys,

I own a Martin DC-28E serial No. 1278405 purchased in Western Australia.

Recently I have noticed that the guitar does not sound in tune when tuned to an accurate electronic tuner and I have to make flat and sharp adjustments to get the sound 'right'. I have also noticed that the string action at the 12th fret seems a bit high. (See photo attached.)

On closer inspection of the heel of the neck I can see a small gap (see photo) between the upper bout and the heel. I don't know if this is normal. The guitar has not been played much and has been kept in the hard case for most of its life and cared for properly.

Does this look like a neck reset (yikes!) or is it adjustable?

Recommendations for an Australian Luthier would be welcome as shipping to Martin is not an option.

Thanks for your help,

Photos here...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ft2qcfj3t...nXQ3MLF3a?dl=0

do what Lime1Gt says.

Jim S is an aussie (i think). pm him. he might know somebody down under.

Last edited by arie; 01-26-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 PM

Thanks for your input guys, although it seems to be bad news...

I will search for a top class luthier in Australia!

Jeremy

"Atheism. Celebrate reason."

Gibson SJ200 Custom Elite 2011
Martin DC-28E (175th Anniversary Issue)
Yamaha AES1500-B
Yamaha FG-580 (Circa 1976)
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM

Yup, the neckset has gone to hell. I'd suspect there's not much saddle above the bridge body either, right? Trapeze-high action contributes to tuning & intonation problems, too.

A caveat: Electronic tuners get you into the ballpark, you still have to find your seat. If it doesn't sound in tune, it isn't in tune, no matter what a tuner's display claims.

If you bought this new, this would be a warranty repair, unless coverage is different in Australia. A certified Martin warranty repairperson should be able to do this.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 PM

Man, sorry to see that. I had the exact same thing happen to my D18 last year (only about 8 months old at the time). Same scenario: wouldn't intonate properly...action higher than normal...then I saw the gap at the heel. Being the original owner (and in the US) I was able to get it taken care of fairly quickly through my dealer. I hope you can get it taken care of!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow
I will search for a top class luthier in Australia!
Well, there are a few of us (), but I think what you actually need is a good authorised Martin repair shop. I know a few in Sydney, but you'll want one a little further north than that. JimS is from Darwin. I don't think he's Martin authorised, but if there is such a person in Darwin, likely Jim would know who and where. Hopefully, he'll be along soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair