The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-28-2015, 01:10 AM

Default Anyone see the movie "Stoned" on Netfliks?

About the life & death of Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones. I never knew he was murdered?
According to the movie (which BTW has lots of nudity) he was drowned by a construction contractor that was hired to build some landscaping projects. But ended up becoming his live in caretaker. Jones is portrayed as an over the top self indulgent narcissist who enjoyed mentally abusing everyone associated with him. Finally he refused to pay the contractor/caretaker for his services and he drowned him in his swimming pool. But made it look like an accident. But the guy according to the movie confessed on his own deathbed that he did it.
I had never heard that before. Is it true?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 AM

I had read that too. The guy confessing on his deathbed, when he had no reason to lie apparently, kinda makes me think it's true, but who really knows?

Makes me think that drug and alcohol abuse makes for a convenient cover-up for murder.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM

I found this on Wikipedia:

"Theories (of murder) surrounding Jones's death developed soon afterwards with associates of the Stones claiming to have information that he was murdered. According to rock biographer Philip Norman, "the murder theory would bubble back to the surface every five years or so". In 1993 it was reported that Jones was murdered by Frank Thorogood, who was doing some construction work on the property. He was the last person to see Jones alive. Thorogood allegedly confessed the murder to the Rolling Stones' driver, Tom Keylock, who later denied this. The Thorogood theory was dramatised in the 2005 movie Stoned."

I don't know if any of it is true or not.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 PM

If you read Life by Keith Richards, Keith discusses the Jekyll and Hyde aspects of Brian Jones' personality at some length and how drugs, which Brian could not seem to control, frequently brought out the worst in him. The story is altogether plausible... although that's different from saying it's true. At any rate, as far as Scotland Yard is concerned, the case is closed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic