The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
When I become Benevolent World Dictator, my scientists will ............

Thus the magic mushroom told me, many, many years ago.

Aaaaah............... the magic mushroom. We've had a couple of deep and meaningful conversations way back when.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Though the world's population has increased, we can obviously handle it.
Obvious to whom?

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 PM

There is much to say on this. By 2060 there will be 9.5 billion people. 1.1 billion of them will be over the age of 70. Populations are changing from a pyramid shape to a column shape, birth rates are low and lifespan is longer. In short, we are at the halfway point from 1970 - 2060 to witness this transition, the first of its type in history. There have always been more young than old, in the years to come, the young will be a minority.

My work now is with the National Center of Excellence Age Well program, as well as funding from other academic centers on aging. My daily work is in senior's social learning systems and education. We are preparing the technologies to support an octogenarian society. One of our grants spans the next 5 years and has leaders in all areas of academia working on this issue. Home robotic systems, extended medical care, fitness in aging, social networks in isolated seniors, the list goes on.

We are preparing now for the Grey Revolution. I see opportunities. The older generation bring wisdom and judgement, alongside lower capacity to earn. How we handle this profound change in the population distribution will determine the quality of life your children will experience.

There are some challenges that lie ahead. Water availability will become an increasing concern. The Arab Emirites are leading the world now in desalination technology. Access to water to support the 9.5 billion inhabitants is a key issue.

A truly remarkable time.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post

The numbers are staggering.

In 1973 I had one guitar
in 1983 I had 2 guitars
in 1993 I had 3 guitars
In 2003 I had 4 guitar
in 2013 I had 5 guitars
in 2023...........Hope were still around.
In the year 2525... (is that song allowed?)
All these people in the world, seems unfair that none are my girlfriend.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Obvious to whom?
With all due respect , it appears that you are clinging to an old philosophy that has not stood the test of time .
I remember the population bomb . That premise has failed miserably . Time to move on .
Global cooling , widespread famine and overpopulation was to have the human race eliminated by the end of the 80's and it didn't work out that way . They were wrong .
Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
There is much to say on this. By 2060 there will be 9.5 billion people. 1.1 billion of them will be over the age of 70. Populations are changing from a pyramid shape to a column shape, birth rates are low and lifespan is longer. In short, we are at the halfway point from 1970 - 2060 to witness this transition, the first of its type in history. There have always been more young than old, in the years to come, the young will be a minority.

My work now is with the National Center of Excellence Age Well program, as well as funding from other academic centers on aging. My daily work is in senior's social learning systems and education. We are preparing the technologies to support an octogenarian society. One of our grants spans the next 5 years and has leaders in all areas of academia working on this issue. Home robotic systems, extended medical care, fitness in aging, social networks in isolated seniors, the list goes on.

We are preparing now for the Grey Revolution. I see opportunities. The older generation bring wisdom and judgement, alongside lower capacity to earn. How we handle this profound change in the population distribution will determine the quality of life your children will experience.

There are some challenges that lie ahead. Water availability will become an increasing concern. The Arab Emirites are leading the world now in desalination technology. Access to water to support the 9.5 billion inhabitants is a key issue.

A truly remarkable time.
Fresh , safe , drinkable water is the potentially limiting factor .
Debunking the myth that older folks cannot contribute is going to be a tough one in the western world .
Right now , we are teaching our young that it is acceptable to throw away their grandparents and even their parents .
We are teaching them well and , to their credit , they are learning it well .
Old 01-22-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
How does it correct itself? Plague and pestilence? Wars? Edict (China)? Natural catastrophes? None of the foregoing have yet to stem the power of *exponentials.

*Not on this site's words list.
As a general rule, the more modern a society becomes, the slower the population grows. Having 1 or 2 kids is normal in North America and much of Europe, but in some 3rd world countries the average can be as high as 6 kids:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN

If you want to slow or reduce population, then modernize the entire planet.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratLes View Post
You can fit the entire world population in less area than the state of Texas, with a density less then NYC.. Dont panic.....

http://www.omgfacts.com/lists/10333/...-New-York-City
True..... yet specious and meaningless in the context of "overpopulation concerns" it is not now nor ever will be a matter of square miles used. It is a matter of use of resources, many of which are finite , measured against quality of life.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 AM

Is overpopulation God's way of telling us to STOP screwing around?
Just wondering...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
<<snip>>

I dunno. I find those numbers staggering and more than a little scary.

Just thought I'd post it...I thought it was interesting.

The guys that wrote the Matrix movies were right...humankind is a virus, a parasite...living on the planet.

Eventually we may come to our collective senses...but we certainly are *not* the rational creatures we purport ourselves to be...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
The guys that wrote the Matrix movies were right...humankind is a virus, a parasite...living on the planet.

Eventually we may come to our collective senses...but we certainly are *not* the rational creatures we purport ourselves to be...
I must have seen different movies .
Rational thinking demands that the collective thinking and action of irrational creatures will be irrational because irrational processes are what they know and what they are capable of .
The villain in The Matrix was a coldly rational machine and the hero was the irrational human .
Self loathing is truly irrational .
The virus was the cure to the real parasite in the movies , the machines .
Sad that you missed this .
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
In the year 2525... (is that song allowed?)
All these people in the world, seems unfair that none are my girlfriend.
Do you bathe regularly? Have gainful employment? If so, I suggest asking a girl on a date. You might be surprised!

If not, I suggest correcting #1, and then #2, and then moving to asking a girl on a date.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 01-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Self loathing is truly irrational .
So is loathing our entire species. We are who and what we are, and we have the right to live. We should be able to live well, be productive, have and raise children, and figure out how to do that while working toward a workable, sustainable future. And we can.

Yes, we can!
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 01-22-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
With all due respect , it appears that you are clinging to an old philosophy that has not stood the test of time .
I remember the population bomb . That premise has failed miserably . Time to move on .
Global cooling , widespread famine and overpopulation was to have the human race eliminated by the end of the 80's and it didn't work out that way . They were wrong .
Being wrong never stops the "the end of the world" crowd...cooling, famine, overpopulation, peak oil was all proven wrong and none of them batted an eye. They stomped their feet and got angry when anyone dared to confront them with facts that were inconvenient to their cries of doom and gloom, and once the evidence becomes so strong that even they can't ignore it, they will simply move along to the next doom and gloom scenario without an admission that they were wrong.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Fresh , safe , drinkable water is the potentially limiting factor .
Debunking the myth that older folks cannot contribute is going to be a tough one in the western world .
Right now , we are teaching our young that it is acceptable to throw away their grandparents and even their parents .
We are teaching them well and , to their credit , they are learning it well .
I agree.

The good side is that there will be more older adults then younger and they will become the new majority. I really agree about productivity as well, it is a myth that there is zero contribution. However, the elderly do require more medical resources and do not contribute to manufacturing or resource mining economies, but their knowledge contributes to information and services economies.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic