The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM

Default NHL Hockey Talk (#2)

Hey Everyone, the last NHL thread had 300 posts so I created a new thread.

What's going on with the Maple Leafs???
Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 AM

Not a big hockey fan, but I just had to see why the first NHL thread could have possibly been shut down...too much interest! Good for you and may the best team win!

1852 Dutch Barn
1895 Farmhouse
1964 Long Island Blonde
2002 Yellow Lab
Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Bit of a "backslide" due to the coaching merry go-round??
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 PM

I play ice hockey.. and am a redwings homer, as I grew up in D-town... but I don't know enough to talk about the rest of the league. Go wings. Go Pavel.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-07-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrinsdad View Post
Not a big hockey fan, but I just had to see why the first NHL thread could have possibly been shut down...too much interest! Good for you and may the best team win!
LOL, threads are closed after 300 posts, we were at 299. It was either that or we had a few too many fighting majors between JPD, Cat, and myself
Old 01-07-2015, 05:11 PM

Hey Dru! Speaking of fighting majors, tonight it's Bruins vs Pens!!!! Unfortunately because the NHL network is televising the game it has a later than usual start. I know with you in the Atlantic Time Zone that's sometimes a problem. My wife and I will be watching so if you can't catch the game let me know if you want any scouting done and I'll prepare a report for you

Concerning the Leafs, I just hope they have a fire sale and the Pens can pick up Kessel or JVR or both (yes, I'm greedy!) for a late round draft pick in 2017

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-07-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Hey Dru! Speaking of fighting majors, tonight it's Bruins vs Pens!!!! Unfortunately because the NHL network is televising the game it has a later than usual start. I know with you in the Atlantic Time Zone that's sometimes a problem. My wife and I will be watching so if you can't catch the game let me know if you want any scouting done and I'll prepare a report for you

Concerning the Leafs, I just hope they have a fire sale and the Pens can pick up Kessel or JVR or both (yes, I'm greedy!) for a late round draft pick in 2017
Bruins vs Pens. I hope the Bruins win 5-4 with Crosby getting 4 points!

I would not want Kessel on my team. Too inconsistent and sometimes he doesn't seem to play with heart. He's got a big contract too. 8 years, $64M, and still 7 years left on it.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
I play ice hockey.. and am a redwings homer, as I grew up in D-town... but I don't know enough to talk about the rest of the league. Go wings. Go Pavel.

Well fellow Homey, we can talk about the Wings anytime

"It was either that or we had a few too many fighting majors between JPD, Cat, and myself".......thankfully there were no fines or suspensions....
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 AM

Bruins beat the Pens 3-2 in OT. Great game to watch. Both teams had good intensity to their game. Malkin and Rask both gave incredible individual efforts. I thought the officiating left a lot to be desired though.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Hey Everyone, the last NHL thread had 300 posts so I created a new thread.

On a big slide fer sher. I was in travel mode last evening, so I didn't see the Leafs/Caps game, but my Dad told me the Leafs didn't play well in their loss...a coaching change doesn't help. I'm hoping they can lure Mike Babcock away from the Wings. Leafs management has notified players that no one's job is secure, so the boys better start giving it their all or big changes could be coming. A big story in the media yesterday involved a reporter asking Kessel if it's true he's difficult to coach. Kessel didn't react too well to that. He's streaky for sure, but he can pop 'em in and maybe a coaching change can help with consistency. I really don't want to see JVR leave. I have to say that for the first time in a very long time, I feel that Leafs management, perhaps Shanahan's doing, is making these changes/pronouncements because they're finally serious about wanting to build a cup contender. I sure hope so!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Talking No Wings in flight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Leafs didn't play well in their loss... I'm hoping they can lure Mike Babcock away from the Wings. I sure hope so!

Heresy I tell you! Lock the club house doors...Babcocks going nowhere
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
On a big slide fer sher. I was in travel mode last evening, so I didn't see the Leafs/Caps game, but my Dad told me the Leafs didn't play well in their loss...a coaching change doesn't help. I'm hoping they can lure Mike Babcock away from the Wings. Leafs management has notified players that no one's job is secure, so the boys better start giving it their all or big changes could be coming. A big story in the media yesterday involved a reporter asking Kessel if it's true he's difficult to coach. Kessel didn't react too well to that. He's streaky for sure, but he can pop 'em in and maybe a coaching change can help with consistency. I really don't want to see JVR leave. I have to say that for the first time in a very long time, I feel that Leafs management, perhaps Shanahan's doing, is making these changes/pronouncements because they're finally serious about wanting to build a cup contender. I sure hope so!
I saw those Kessel clips. I also heard the Ron Wilson clips saying that Phil is difficult to coach and that he's on for two weeks and then off for two weeks. Lots of talk on the Fan 590 (Rogers) about the team and how many people would like to get rid of Kessel and Phaneuf but their contracts are just so big compared to the value they bring. I think both could do well in a city other than Toronto/Montreal/New York ... a smaller market.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I saw those Kessel clips. I also heard the Ron Wilson clips saying that Phil is difficult to coach and that he's on for two weeks and then off for two weeks. Lots of talk on the Fan 590 (Rogers) about the team and how many people would like to get rid of Kessel and Phaneuf but their contracts are just so big compared to the value they bring. I think both could do well in a city other than Toronto/Montreal/New York ... a smaller market.
At the beginning of the season, I recall announcers saying that Kessel showed up for training camp quite out of shape. God-given talent is one thing, but when a pro athlete feels s/he can ride that and not have to work hard in the off-season to stay in shape, especially given the pool of competition for your job, it says a lot about player character. I hope someone rocks his ego a bit.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Heresy I tell you! Lock the club house doors...Babcocks going nowhere
Ha-ha! There is no bigger hockey coaching challenge or market than getting behind the bench in Toronto. For a guy like Babcock with such a proven success record, I'm hoping it's a challenge he just won't be able to pass-up.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Ha-ha! There is no bigger hockey coaching challenge or market than getting behind the bench in Toronto. For a guy like Babcock with such a proven success record, I'm hoping it's a challenge he just won't be able to pass-up.
I'm not a Leafs fan but I would be scared if Babcock went to Toronto ... they would become winners. I don't think he'd be scared to bench under performing players. He's one of the coaches that I would like to play for (if I played).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic