The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-28-2015, 11:18 PM

Bob Newhart is without a doubt one of my all time favorite comedians. I have always felt that his brand of comedy was timeless; it is just as funny today as it was back then with original Bob Newhart show. So much of the comedy from comedians that many decades ago wouldn't be considered funny today; who today would really find it funny if a comedian stuck two straws up his nose and pretended to be a walrus? He is a true comedic genius and fully understood the understated delivery.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:26 PM

One of the greats . Still funny as heck (Big Bang Theory ) .
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yeah, that final show of "Newhart" was the best. I remember being as surprised as any viewer when Bob awoke from a dream and turned in bed to his wife who the audience expected to be Joanna (actress Mary Frann), only to see Suzanne Pleshette, his wife from the former hit series that ended four years before the beginning of the later series...as though the entire run of "Newhart" with all the eccentric characters was all a dream. Incredibly clever.
Loved the albums. Listened to them over and over. Recently I listened to them. Some material didn't stand the test of time. Other stuff was timeless.
Grew up on the first series. Was too busy chasing girls to pay much attention to the second series. I did catch the fan- tastic last episode.
Did anyone see the Breaking Bad tribute to that episode. Hal of Malcolm in the middle wakes up next to Lois banking about a dream about himself as a ruthless drug dealer...... Classic tribute to a great comedian!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM

Enjoyed all his work including his recent Librarian movies, but didn't think the Bob Newhart show could be topped. But Larry, Darrel and Darrel and the entire Newhart cast did IMO. His original show helped us psychologists IMO.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormH3 View Post
Definitely. Bob was known for his "man on the phone" monologues. He was on an episode of "NCIS" a few years back. I think that's the last time I saw him on TV.
In the Newhart '80s show, he does quite a few skits on the phone. No one does it better.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 PM

Here's a great old bit:

Old 01-30-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
Here's a great old bit:

<<snippet video>>
I get "this video is not available". I'm guessing it's because I'm in Canada.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yeah, that final show of "Newhart" was the best. I remember being as surprised as any viewer when Bob awoke from a dream and turned in bed to his wife who the audience expected to be Joanna (actress Mary Frann), only to see Suzanne Pleshette, his wife from the former hit series that ended four years before the beginning of the later series...as though the entire run of "Newhart" with all the eccentric characters was all a dream. Incredibly clever.
I still remember the collective gasp from the studio audience.
The whole dream thing was a spoof on Dallas, they pulled that trick to resurrect a character they killed off (Bobby?) after the fans complained loudly enough. It negated a season of Dallas shows...and gave Bob and his writers the perfect ending stunt for one of the funniest shows ever.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarre View Post
The whole dream thing was a spoof on Dallas, they pulled that trick to resurrect a character they killed off (Bobby?) after the fans complained loudly enough. It negated a season of Dallas shows...and gave Bob and his writers the perfect ending stunt for one of the funniest shows ever.
That last show was also the only time that Darryl and Darryl spoke a word in the entire series. It was funny, and moving too.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarre View Post
Word was that they kept the ending a secret from the cast and and as much of the crew as they could keep away. It helps explain the response when Suzanne Pleshette appeared.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:15 AM

He recently did a very nice interview with Marc Maron (WTF podcast).
Old 01-31-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
Word was that they kept the ending a secret from the cast and and as much of the crew as they could keep away. It helps explain the response when Suzanne Pleshette appeared.
There are a few TV shows that did similar things. One that comes to mind is when Col Henry Blake (McLean Stevenson) of MASH was leaving the show. He was heading home but at the end of the episode it was revealed that his plane was shot down and he was killed. When Radar O'Reilly steps into the OR tent and reads the news, the other actors supposedly had no idea it was coming.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Did anyone see Bob Newhart's latest gig? He was the ref at the College Football Championship game this year .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic