The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-25-2014, 08:20 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default YouTube capture and apogee imic

Anyone tried this combo yet? I did today and it came out better than garbage band to iMovie, IMHO.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 PM

Bump to the top to see if anyone's tries this.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 PM

Bumping this up to see if anyone is familiar with this setup.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:48 AM

Bumping this topic to see if anyone's tried this.

Also, I'm having a problem overdriving the Apogee iMic. If I turn the level down to the point that I don't overdrive it, I can barely hear the recording. Am I missing something?

THx guys
Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Unfortunately I have not used any USB type mic and it appears so far no one else has either. And also I have not used You Tube Capture App.

That said couple of things. It's somewhat vague as to what exactly you are doing
To clarify are you trying to record from the mic directly into the YouTube Capture App ?

It looks like back in October you felt the results were better than Garageband to imovie. So has something changed ? Or more specifically was the input level sufficient then but now it isn't ? If that's the case it sounds like something has gone wrong with the mic.

And to clarify when you say overdrive the mic (just looked it up on Apogee web sight ) do you mean you getting the little LED to flash red?

Plus a quick look at Youtube Capture appears to be a video editing app only and not a DAW. So I am guessing there is no input metering to be able to tell in db's what your actual input level is ? yes.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Typically when you record digitally, the recorded signal should be in the -18dB to -12dB range. Then after the mixing, mastering boosts that signal up to the near - zero level. IF you are trying to bypass that mastering stage with your method, that may be the cause of the low volume.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
That said couple of things. It's somewhat vague as to what exactly you are doing, to clarify are you trying to record from the mic directly into the YouTube Capture App?

It looks like back in October you felt the results were better than Garageband to imovie. So has something changed ? Or more specifically was the input level sufficient then but now it isn't ? If that's the case it sounds like something has gone wrong with the mic.

And to clarify when you say overdrive the mic (just looked it up on Apogee web sight ) do you mean you getting the little LED to flash red?

Plus a quick look at Youtube Capture appears to be a video editing app only and not a DAW. So I am guessing there is no input metering to be able to tell in db's what your actual input level is ? yes.
Yep, I'm trying to go directly to YouTube Capture. To your second question, I wanted to bypass the problem of syncing GarageBand and iMovie because my playing isn't consistent enough to make the video match the audio, I'm sort of all over the place tempo-wise. To the third question, yes the little LED light flashes red and the recording sounds like I'm smashing the guitar against the mike. But if I back the level down to where it's green, I can barely hear the recording. You are also right about YouTube Capture not having an input meter.

This was all born out of the fact that I can't seem to record something in garageband and then iMovie and get it to sync. The audio notes and the video finger movements don't sync because I suck at guitar

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Typically when you record digitally, the recorded signal should be in the -18dB to -12dB range. Then after the mixing, mastering boosts that signal up to the near - zero level. IF you are trying to bypass that mastering stage with your method, that may be the cause of the low volume.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I'm not entirely sure why you're getting sync issues. Are you recording video and audio at the same time and then trying to marry the two in iMovie? If you're trying to record video and audio in two separate takes then, yes, that is going to be hard to sync up. I can give you some tips on synching the 'normal' way, if that helps.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
I'm not entirely sure why you're getting sync issues. Are you recording video and audio at the same time and then trying to marry the two in iMovie? If you're trying to record video and audio in two separate takes then, yes, that is going to be hard to sync up. I can give you some tips on synching the 'normal' way, if that helps.
Yes that's what I need, to record the video and audio with the same take. It was my perhaps mistaken impression that with GarageBand and iMovie that's the way it had to be done. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Yes that's what I need, to record the video and audio with the same take. It was my perhaps mistaken impression that with GarageBand and iMovie that's the way it had to be done. Thanks!
I guess I'm not really understanding the problem then... if you have file of video and a file of audio from one take of a song then synching them shouldn't be an issue no matter how wobbly you feel your tempo is. Just line up a piece that you KNOW* is spot on and the rest will follow. Admittedly if you don't line it up right then it will eventually drift.

* best thing to do is to clap your hands at the start of the take. That clap will appear as a spike on both the video audio and the audio audio. Then line 'em up in iMovie, drop the video audio completely and trim to taste. Make sense?
Old 01-29-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
I guess I'm not really understanding the problem then... if you have file of video and a file of audio from one take of a song then synching them shouldn't be an issue no matter how wobbly you feel your tempo is. Just line up a piece that you KNOW* is spot on and the rest will follow. Admittedly if you don't line it up right then it will eventually drift.

* best thing to do is to clap your hands at the start of the take. That clap will appear as a spike on both the video audio and the audio audio. Then line 'em up in iMovie, drop the video audio completely and trim to taste. Make sense?
Yep, I suppose what I needed was a starting point like the clap and of course the knowledge that the song I'm playing has to be spot on. Thanks so much.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:09 PM

Here's a short tutorial I found on the inter webs... if you perform a clap (or bang something loudly, a few seconds before you start properly) then lining up the audio at the beginning will be a lot easier (and clearer). Hope that helps.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Yes that's very useful, thanks. I've been so busy at work I've had little time to practice recently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD