The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM

I've been using Pro Tools for about 15yrs at this point and it's really been the best way for me to record. I love the power laptops provide and the flexibility to record in my home studio and then mix wherever I want (even though I still prefer to mix in my control room. I don't have any out-board gear. I'm all digital now.......
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM

Default Temporary "room" using treated multi-panel screens

I'm interested in doing some recording but not messing with the room itself, which is a fairly dead basement room (carpeting, cheap wood paneling, acoustic ceiling).

I wonder about the effectiveness of getting a couple four panel screens like these...

and covering them with some acoustic foam panels. If I couple that with one of the "personal mic baffles" like the sE Electronic Reflexion Filter, will this produce good results?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I'm interested in doing some recording but not messing with the room itself, which is a fairly dead basement room (carpeting, cheap wood paneling, acoustic ceiling).

I wonder about the effectiveness of getting a couple four panel screens like these...

and covering them with some acoustic foam panels. If I couple that with one of the "personal mic baffles" like the sE Electronic Reflexion Filter, will this produce good results?

Thanks!
Way better than nothing... You can use ratcheting C clamps from home depot to attach the foam (or acoustic panel) without messing up the screens. I also put wheels on them in the past. Fred Meyer has pretty panels for pretty cheap...

Old 06-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Wood paneling, carpeted floor in a basement, you probably have a real bass wave problem and won't know it until you start recording/mixing down and listening to your mixes in other places. You could also have some slapback echo in there from the paneling.
That folding panel thing won't do anything for you as such. You could drape some heavy duvets or blankets over it to make a movable gobo wall to isolate an amp or drums a little. I built something similar, 7ft tall, covered in foam and styrofoam-pink insulation, and hung duvets on it to try to block the outside sound from a window and to help isolate room reverb when recording a very low volume mandolin. Way too much effort for very little result.
What you are going to need is some good bass traps (broadband absorbant panels). 4" thick x 2'x4' - you can buy them (tend to be expensive) or make them yourself. Use Roxul or OX 703/705 insulation, framed with 1x4 and cover the whole thing with cloth (lots of instrucitons on how to do it online, including youtubes). You can hang them from the walls/corners, stack them, use them as gobos.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianvw View Post
hi there just wondering if anyone still records with stand alone multi track recorders like the boss br series or does everyone use computers now a days. And i am talking about making a actual cd now just a demo or practice.
For sessions, I still use an Alesis HD24, 24 track digital recorder with no mixing or processing functions. It's mated to a 32 input/8 buss console. Recordings get transferred to my computer for any editing and final playback for mixing through the console. Processing is done via dedicated hardware.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 PM

i used a boss br for the longest time and recorded a pretty good sounding cd. now i think i am going to try the zoom r16 anyone else use it?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
i used a boss br for the longest time and recorded a pretty good sounding cd. now i think i am going to try the zoom r16 anyone else use it?
I use an R24. My setup can be seen here:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 09-19-2014, 04:09 AM

Started with tape in the 1970s. Currently using a PC with XP OS and older version of Cubase. I also have an RME interface. Currently getting substantial pro-grade results.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Nah...

One take.

Cut direct to locally-sourced vinyl.

It's the only way to keep it pure.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:31 PM

i've used a DAW since i gave up using my teac 3340 in 1999.

i'd say i'm somewhere between new school, old school and middle school!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-21-2014, 01:40 PM

I have moved from my old laptop to using my iPad 3. I have Auria for a DAW, and I'm using an iRig Pro interface, which only allows one instrument at a time, but that's all I do. I'm using amplitube for my electric guitar and bass, and DM1 for percussion and drums. It all sounds pretty fantastic, and Auria has to be the easiest DAW I have ever used. Super easy to do overdubs, and full automation. The plugins that come with it, and that can be purchased, are first class.

I can sit down, get setup and be ready to record in a couple of minutes. The only thing that's a pain is disk space, and I'm looking at getting a new iPad this year, with 64 gig. Auria integrates nicely with Dropbox and Soundcloud, which makes it easy to move stuff around as well.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:44 PM

I record our band's live performances using a nice, old Fostex PD-4M DAT recorder on 8mm DDS-1 computer backup tape. It is the same machine that was used to make field recordings for TV and film. It only has three analog inputs, so I run two mics each into three Palmer mic combiners: two room mics, two stage mics, two mics on the drum and bass. I use a couple of Neumann TLM-103s, an AKG 414 XLS, a Shure KM32 or Sterling ST-69 and two Audix i5 dynamics. I also use a Beyerdynamic M500 ribbon for vocals sometimes, but I have to use a standalone Focusrite ISA One preamp to achieve the necessary gain. At home, I transfer the tape to a stereo audio track on SONAR and tweak it with a bit of EQ and compression.

I know this is an old fashioned setup from 15 years ago, but it is fun and actually sounds great. I got the Fostex, new-in-box at an auction for $400! These things cost $8,000 new in 1999. It even came with a $275 PortaBrace case! I do have an Allen & Heath Zed16 FX mixer, and I may give it a try recording direct into my laptop one evening.

Last edited by nsureit; 10-06-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 PM

i got my self a zoom r16 but going to try it as a audio interface with cubase see how that turns out if not i can alway use it as a stand alone i just hate having to re do songs that i mess up on a little and i suck at punching.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
i got my self a zoom r16 but going to try it as a audio interface with cubase see how that turns out if not i can alway use it as a stand alone i just hate having to re do songs that i mess up on a little and i suck at punching.
You can always record your tracks (all needed) on the Zoom, then export them to your computer for mixing/comping.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You can always record your tracks (all needed) on the Zoom, then export them to your computer for mixing/comping.
That's precisely what i do with my R24, as outlined on my "Simple Home Recording" web page. It makes a great audio capture device, and the computer is reserved for doing what it does best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD