The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Everyone assimilates things differently, but in general you need a certain amount of time to "absorb" what you've been working on.

There's this psychological phenomena called the "Eureka" effect... very common. You work hard on a given problem, sweating and straining (either mentally or physically) and you're not "getting it".

So, you go take a break, take a nice long bath as did Archimedes.... And "bingo", the answer just pops into your head.
Or... You pick up the guitar and what you were working on just works....
This is true.... A short break from practice tends to do the player good....

Your brain needs the time away to formulate all you've thrown at it....

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 PM

I have been practicing very morning for an hour for the past year, working on a conservatory syllabus. I have played for 40+ years, but this has been some additional work, very scheduled and dedicated work. Since the start of this summer, I have spent my weekend mornings working on my own stuff again, writing and recording. The switch up, in and of itself, is like a break.

But when my hands get tired or sore, at all, I stop. A few years back I got a very bad case of tennis elbow that lasted for pretty close to 6 months, and could barely play. I should have seen the signs earlier, and taken a break.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameetnsharma View Post
Say you are learning something pretty physically demanding... say legato exercises on the guitar (ala joe satriani or allan holdsworth)... you're stretching your fingers more than you're used to.

Is it good to take a day off to let the muscles rest or grow? (do the muscles here need a day's rest like in weightlifting).... so no legato for that day... maybe work on other things.

what do you think?
I'd say it depends how much you practice in each session, and what you're learning. If it's something which involves training, muscle memory and so on, I normally see people recommend short practice every day as better. If you play for hours until your fingers bleed or you can't think straight anymore, a rest day sounds sensible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write