The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-20-2017, 07:21 AM

Default First electric advice

So I've been playing acoustic for several years and am wanting to get into electric. I play a lot of pop, modern county, worship music at church, I like a lot of John Mayer stuff. I can't decide what guitar would do the most things well. Kind have it down to a fender tele or Les Paul style. Im not opposed to alternatives such as Epiphone or PRS see or even other guitars. I know a lot of my sound will come from amp and effects but I want to get a guitar that's capable of what I want. I'll try and find some links for sound examples.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Intro to slow dancing in a burning room makes me think strat or tele
https://youtu.be/IfFi4Q7ueA8
I know this was done on a tele
https://youtu.be/LOdmkbmAzeE
I know tele's are versatile but I'm not a big fan of the characteristic twang..
The only reason I think Les Paul is maybe for thicker distortion when playing rythmn. And I have heard Les Pauls play clean stuff well too. So I'm not sure which is better for all around..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 AM

My favorite pickup configuration for a swiss army knife of guitars:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...%20HSH&index=1
Old 03-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Shaped like a Tele, but not exactly a Tele: G&L Tribute Bluesboy

This guitar is very well made and a great player with high quality hardware and components.

Fat, thick, warm Jazz & Classic Rock tones in the neck HB.
Middle position mimics a Strat and can do what a Strat does very well.
Bridge pickup gives you Classic Country Tele Twang.

You should try to give one a test drive before you buy something else, IMO.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
...I've been playing acoustic for several years...I play a lot of pop, modern county, worship music at church...I can't decide what guitar would do the most things well...I'm not opposed to alternatives such as Epiphone or PRS SE or even other guitars...I want to get a guitar that's capable of what I want...
50+ year CCM/P&W musician here - try one of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-...tric-Guitar.gc

FYI they've been discontinued, so if you're interested you might want to move quickly...
Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM

If you don't like Tele twang that's simple: get the Les Paul.

Lower output, vintage-style pickups should work much better for clean tones and they'll still sound great for crunchy overdrive. Higher-output humbuckers are more for high gain stuff where you want to smash a big signal into a tube amp's input stage to get it cooking but they'll (probably..) sound a lot duller than lower-output pickups when you're on a clean amp setting. Lower output means fewer turns of wire per coil, a higher resonant frequency and therefore a brighter sound (everything else being equal).

You can always add a boost to a low-output pickup, if you need it.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Tele's are great, but they are not as versatile as a Strat. If you want versatility, you'll get a bit more with the Strat. New Fender American guitars are very high quality; Fender has really upped their game since about '12 if you are looking to go new. I can't and won't say the same about Gibson because the consistency one instrument to another is still not there.

Actually, if you want bang for your buck the PRS SE line plays well above its price level, and can be had in a lot of configurations. I would go with the Custom 24 myself, as it is as versatile as a Strat and more versatile than an LP, but most big box stores will have a few and they should be easy enough to find to check out in person. I would strongly suggest you check those out before committing to something else. If you haven't played one, you are in for a treat.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 AM

I have many electric guitars, and the bottom line is: you can play almost anything on almost anything. I know that's not helping answer your question, but I find it to be true, notwithstanding the fact that pickups and guitars can be so different. I have guitars with humbuckers, mini humbuckers, single coils of various brands, P90s (a different kind of single coil) - you get the idea. If it were my decision to make, and I had to get one guitar, I'd get either a Tele or a Strat. Both are very versatile single coil guitars that can be had with a humbucker if you want. (see example above) It's very easy to fatten up single coil tone with a pedal, but it's not so easy to thin out a humbucker. And I say that as a guy who has a Les Paul that I love.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Sorry wrong link.. edited

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW

Last edited by adaw2821; 03-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:08 AM

Yea I'm starting to think the question should be, "what guitar should I buy FIRST" lol. I agree I think a lot of sounds can be had from any guitar. I have head some pretty good clean strat like tones on a Les Paul.. would these be low output? Or effects or just normal Les pual capabilities?

https://youtu.be/eAS08nwvxTk

How does the bluesboy compare to a tele? I'm not opposed but would be significantly harder for me to play in person..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Perhaps I can help: HERE is an article I wrote that quickly steps you through a comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of the basic guitar types. Hopefully it can help you consider the finer points of choice. Have fun!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM

I think the best all around guitar that fits every style is a good Gibson ES-335.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM

You might want to try a PRS Custom 22. It's sort of a Strat/Paul hybrid that can get a lot of interesting sounds and has a vibe all its own.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM

I'll do some checking on the bluesboy. Also I should clarify if I get a Les Paul style guitar it would be one with coil splits.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Yea I'm starting to think the question should be, "what guitar should I buy FIRST" lol. I agree I think a lot of sounds can be had from any guitar. I have head some pretty good clean strat like tones on a Les Paul.. would these be low output? Or effects or just normal Les pual capabilities?

https://youtu.be/eAS08nwvxTk

How does the bluesboy compare to a tele? I'm not opposed but would be significantly harder for me to play in person..
Warmer and thicker (more bass) with the humbucker at the neck. It sounds much like a middle position on a LP. The middle position combines the Alnico single coil in the bridge position w/th HB, giving it a fuller, warmer tone (IMO) in middle position than a traditional tele.

The Alnico at the bridge is much like a Tele, some say it is more brittle but I can't hear much difference.

I agree that PRS makes some good stuff and Reverend is also worth looking at. I just tend to like stuff that everybody isn't playing.

My Ascari GTS essentially acts like a LP, and also has split coil capability.

One of the reasons I like a guitar that has fewer options (like the BB) - it prevents too much fiddling with the guitar - kinda like amps that have 10-15 dials and buttons, theres always something to tweak. I prefer a simple tube amp and a 2 pickup guitar with two totally different pickups for the same reason. Less fussin' = more playin'.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
first electric