The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
Get a Line 6 Helix, Fractal AX-8, or Kemper and be done with it. I guarantee you can't tell the difference between the high end modelers and the real thing. People who sell tube amps for a living can't....

Ya...some pretty unbelieveable simulations are available. I cannot tell the difference without being told. I love tubes but the products mentioned above are the real deal. Even feel like the real deal when playing with similar responses. You do not have to go direct into PA if you do not want. You plug into a cab and mic as well. Lots of different amp simulations, lots of pedal simulations, lots of cab simulations....a smorgasbord of fun.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Maybe once we get a record deal I can afford a Kemper and a good FOH. But for now we are on our own.
Well, if you have a "secondary laptop" there is a sub $100 (barely) solution. Get one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...studio&index=3

I have one. The software that is included with the package is worth the price of admission. You bring that little piece of hardware and a laptop, and you are done.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:30 PM

My son uses the Bias system, also a computer based system, for about the same money as a small tube amp. But on computer based systems, my son has found that if you do not have lots of random access memory you can get some latency issues.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
My son uses the Bias system, also a computer based system, for about the same money as a small tube amp. But on computer based systems, my son has found that if you do not have lots of random access memory you can get some latency issues.
The pod farm stuff is, let's be kind and call it, mature...

Very stable. No noticeable latency live. Recording can have a touch, but if I recall there are some adjustments you can make in that regard. redistributing resources, etc. I don't record. Just play with headphones for those times when running an amp would be selfish at home. Can't sleep at 2 a.m.? Perfect time to play "Crazy Train"
Old 01-25-2017, 08:37 AM

The problem with DI to a PA system is the tone stack. Magnetic pickups into a traditional amplifier run the signal through the amp's tone controls, AKA the tone stack. It creates a big change in the frequency response, usually with a big midrange dip, and is totally critical to the good sound of an electric guitar. This is the best tool available to help you understand the importance of a tone stack. http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

There are pedals that let you simulate that and go direct to a PA, but on the other hand there is nothing that can substitute for the tone of a great amplifier. An electric guitar is only half the instrument - the tone comes from the amp.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM

I just read this older article on the Kemper and I have to say that's quite a device right there. I didn't realize you could actually profile your own amps, how cool is that?

http://www.premierguitar.com/article...plifier_Review

I spoke to a friend of mine who does sound professionally from everything to rock bands to full orchestras and he spoke highly of speaker cabinet emulators. Realizing that rock guitarists love their amps and have spent countless hours getting their tone just right this is a viable working solution.

Something like this might just be the right compromise because I can still use my amp, send it off to the PA through a cab sim and even use my amp speakers for my own monitor if I want.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CabClone8

What do y'all think of that?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Something like this might just be the right compromise because I can still use my amp, send it off to the PA through a cab sim and even use my amp speakers for my own monitor if I want.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CabClone8

What do y'all think of that?
I think it depends on how many heads you have and use, and how "different" they are. If you have "one sound" it might be better to get a combo with speaker emulation built in. If on the other hand you have multiple heads and use them regularly, the mesa unit, or another brand, is a GREAT solution.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:43 AM

When I first stated recording my electric guitar work a few years ago, I either DIed direct into my DAW with PodFarm plugin or DIed from my Line 6 Spider amp.
No complaints about the tones (learn to adjust to avoid the fizzy digital sound), but what was missing was the 'feedback' - that combination of the speaker's output making the guitar/pickups "sing". Since I started miking up the amp I've been much happier with my sound. For live use I can't imagine not having that.
The guitarists for TransSiberian Orchestra have amps in iso boxes behind/below the stage, I have no idea how they manage to get the sound/feedback feel that they get!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Here is the new Radial box I referred to rather cryptically above.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDXDirectDrv

I've just bought one of those for certain jobs. It definitely does what it says and it's going to be a useful tool for those jobs where a loud (or even fairly quiet) amp are not always ideal. But then those situations aren't full on rock shows with a drummer so a powerful amp isn't needed.

I feel for the OP though, a good amp is an integral part of the setup, both for the guitarist and for the band as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-01-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
...If you don't have subs on the PA, then the bass is going to be anemic, but using subs for small clubs is seldom needed otherwise...
Ditch the 2x10" or 4x10" cab, get a good 1x15" (or two) or 1x18", turn off/disconnect the tweeter if it has one, and get back into the idea of playing bass - considering a 12" guitar speaker tops out around 5-6kHz, I've yet to hear a good reason why a bass amp needs response in the 8K+ range...
Old 02-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Ditch the 2x10" or 4x10" cab, get a good 1x15" (or two) or 1x18", turn off/disconnect the tweeter if it has one, and get back into the idea of playing bass - considering a 12" guitar speaker tops out around 5-6kHz, I've yet to hear a good reason why a bass amp needs response in the 8K+ range...
Hi Steve - you missed the original post - the band has ditched bass and guitar stand-alone amps and pushing everything through the PA.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-03-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Hi Steve - you missed the original post - the band has ditched bass and guitar stand-alone amps and pushing everything through the PA.
Yup and the bass sounds really thin.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Slap.........
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-03-2017, 09:54 PM

I've been pretty happy with my Helix for the last year. The Fractal AX8 sounded great but I hated the interface both for programming and for live use.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
Get a Line 6 Helix, Fractal AX-8, or Kemper and be done with it. I guarantee you can't tell the difference between the high end modelers and the real thing. People who sell tube amps for a living can't....

That is a pretty impressive demo.

I like those Andertons guys demos there quirky Brit. humor approach is interesting and they seem to be pretty informed about what they are talking about.
That said the only question I would have considering the OP's situation is, they were playing that through what looked like a 4 X guitar speaker cab. So the question would be how might that translate to into a PA instead ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars