The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Default Players ... Collectors ... Hoarders

This is just a friendly inquiry and not meant to point a finger at anyone in particular. It just occurred to me earlier when there was a thread about "How many guitars are too many to list in your signature?"

And I thought ... maybe the better question is "How many guitars are too many to own?"

Don't we reach a point where we cross the line from "player", to "collector", to "hoarder" ... when it comes to acquiring more and more guitars?

Personally, I feel like I can be both a "player" and a "collector" as long as I only hang on to guitars that I play on a fairly routine basis. The five I own right now, I play pretty much each and every day.

If you have so many guitars that many of them stay in their cases and seldom if ever get played, but you are unwilling to consider parting with them, then might you want to consider if you'd crossed that line and become something of a "hoarder" ???

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 05-14-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackville View Post
Don't we reach a point where we cross the line from "player", to "collector", to "hoarder" ... when it comes to acquiring more and more guitars?
You need to add another category called "trader." There are some here (judged by the signature) that turn over their guitar collection multiple times per year.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM

there are "players".

there are "collectors".

there are "hoarders".

and they all know who they are!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 AM

What if I am trying to collect the consistently best playing experiences?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackville View Post
Don't we reach a point where we cross the line from "player", to "collector", to "hoarder" ... when it comes to acquiring more and more guitars? If you have so many guitars that many of them stay in their cases and seldom if ever get played, then might you not want to consider that you'd crossed that line and become something of a "hoarder" ???
Question isnt 'how many guitars doe one player need?' because we all have different 'needs' but a more honest question may be, "when is enough ENOUGH?" A subjective question obviously as some folks have enough disposable income to warrant extensive collections. The concern arises when the 'collection' becomes the focal point of one's life and the need to acquire more and more, causing financial harm to both the 'collector/hoarder' and his/her dependents.

How many $150-$250 shaving brushes does one man need? Collection or hoarding?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

What's important to note is that none of those titles are mutually exclusive -
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Man I wish there were enough hours in the day to even play ONE of mine every day. Sad as it is, my main guitar I haven't played in probably over a month. I have one that I havent even taken out of the case in at least 6 mo..
I can thank the Couch guitar thread from a couple weeks ago for prompting me to take my beater out of the case and put on a stand so I can play it more frequently. It's still not every day, but it's close. I definitely play it more than I used to with it being stuck in the case.
Thanks for that thread, whoever started it, my guitar really appreciates it. She loves to be played!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I'm a player with a lot of guitars, high end custom handmade instruments along with a bunch of pre-war vintage stuff, and I'm sure plenty here would say I collect/hoard them if they were to pay me a visit and simply took inventory of what I own. But, the funny thing is, I love my guitars and the collection I've put together and I really don't care what anyone thinks, or what they want to say, or how they want to label me or pass judgement over others with more of something than they might have. All of my guitars get played regularly, either by me or by friends that frequently come over to play music, so I guess I really don't have so many that dust collects on them.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

There's another category of player that might need more than one guitar - the sideman/studio lizard. Think about it: a client calls and sez, "Can you make a noise like so and so or like the guitar on such and such record?" You've got about five seconds to say "yep" before he goes to the next name on the list. What's your answer?

The result is a need to maintain multiple skill capabilities and the guitars, amps, and pedals, necessary to reproduce multiple sounds.

I finally figured out what drove David Lindley into his wacky collection: The professional need to collect sounds but a desire to keep from paying top dollar for any one of them. Eventually it becomes a fun challenge: "Spot the gem in the pile of garbage!"

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I play every one of my guitars on a regular basis.

Is a person a hoarder if he has tools in his tool box that he needs only once in a while, maybe for a specific job, perhaps pulling a wheel bearing, as an example?

Is a person a hoarder if he has a utility pickup truck and a sedan, too, and can't possibly drive both vehicles at once?

Is a person who has worked and saved all of his/her life who now comes to the point of near retirement and has significant funds available who also decides to buy an expensive guitar just because he/she wants a reward after all that work some kind of hoarder?

As Bob Womack comments, for recording projects, all kinds of guitars may be needed as tools to create the sound a client wants. Or the player personally wants for his own recording projects. After all, it is the player's money and how he/she spends it should be no one else's business.

The word "hoarder" carries very negative connotations.

- Glenn
Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Default Context, Perspective...

I have too many guitars.

I know why.

I love 'em, I play 'em and I share them too.

I know a guy who has over 10,000 Hot Wheels cars, still in the factory sealed packaging, and over 200 fishing poles.
Never opens or "plays with" his little cars, and goes fishing twice year.

He thinks I am crazy for having a closet full of guitars.

Who is to say whats right?

I say, if it brings a smile, its OK by me.

Whatever melts your butter.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM

I've got only three, and that's plenty for me. None of mine would be considered "high end", but they're all in great shape, sound good, and play like butter.

Actually, I've got one more in mind, but if I buy it I'll be selling one of the ones I have now. I never was into owning a "collection" of 'em.

In truth, I think I could easily get it down to ONE guitar for the rest of my life and be perfectly satisfied with it. Now, if I could just find that "ONE".

Therein lies the rub.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

I would categorize them like this.

1) Player, May have several guitars, most not the same, variations to match, different styles of music.
2) Collector has many different brands, and styles of guitars, OR may specialize in one Brand.
3) Hoarder, has several of the exact same guitars, doesn't play them, and will not sell them.

I personally have more guitars then I should, but all are different, and I do have a couple vintage acoustic that I bought for novelty, and I did keep the first guitar I owned. But for the most part, I took out insurance about a year ago, and most of the guitars I insured, I no longer own.
The third category, is typical in many hobby circles. Rather than let several collectors have one, they want to keep them all to themselves, and many times packed away, in a barn or shed, to get ruined, or forgotten.
Hoarding, borders on a sickness, Not G.A.S.
Dan
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Is a person a hoarder if he has tools in his tool box that he needs only once in a while, maybe for a specific job, perhaps pulling a wheel bearing, as an example?

No he's a hoarder if he has three different tools that would all serve the same purpose for the same job.

Is a person a hoarder if he has a utility pickup truck and a sedan, too, and can't possibly drive both vehicles at once?

No he's a hoarder if he has 2-3 utility pick-up trucks all the same model, but in different colors.

Is a person who has worked and saved all of his/her life who now comes to the point of near retirement and has significant funds available who also decides to buy an expensive guitar just because he/she wants a reward after all that work some kind of hoarder?

No, he's a hoarder if he buys a dozen dreadnoughts of various makes and only plays one or two while the others sit in cases.

As Bob Womack comments, for recording projects, all kinds of guitars may be needed as tools to create the sound a client wants. Or the player personally wants for his own recording projects. After all, it is the player's money and how he/she spends it should be no one else's business.

The word "hoarder" carries very negative connotations.

It's very negative word indeed. And none of the scenarios you describe define hoarding. Hoarders hang on to things they neither need nor want, just for the sake of having them or because they are psychologically unable to part with them.

- Glenn

Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Are they all different? That's collecting ... Are they mostly all the same? That's hoarding. That looks like a cool and interesting collection of different shaving brushes to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
How many $150-$250 shaving brushes does one man need? Collection or hoarding?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion