The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Default what do you think of Squire 50's vibe

forget about you can buy one new for $349 shipped..and probably $250 used.

I just want to know if this is a quality instrument from China or Junk and how it compares to the
MEXICAN tele or the USA TELEcaster.

I do hate the name Squire....wish it was called something else. sound cheap like first act
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 AM

The Squier Classic Vibes are really nice guitars. And not just "for the money"..

I have two Classic Vibe Teles - the CV Custom Tele and the CV50's - and I really, really like them both.

The guys over at the TDPRI forum rave about the CV's, and that's what got me to try them. And I've got to say that I'm really impressed with my two..

Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
forget about you can buy one new for $349 shipped..and probably $250 used.

I just want to know if this is a quality instrument from China or Junk and how it compares to the
MEXICAN tele or the USA TELEcaster.

I do hate the name Squire....wish it was called something else. sound cheap like first act
In that price range I prefer the G&L Tribute series. Better feeling neck and overall feel to me.

They run special on them regularly for 299-349. Both my Ascari GTS and Bluesboy were 299.

I have to say that I have never heard anyone talk poorly of the Vibe series and many seem to prefer them to their MIM counterparts.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 AM

I looked at this a bunch. I got my used MIM Standard Telecaster for less than the Squier 50s Vibe Tele costs new. I'm not sure my MIM was ever even played it was so perfect so I didn't even go look at the Squiers. (I did play some of the American ones)

If you really want that Vintage Bridge setup than the Squier is the cheapest way to do it.

I think a lot of the "I like the Squier X better than the MIM/American X" is just folks doing the typical internet cheerleading for whatever a particular person bought.

It all comes down to the particular guitar.. you find one that seems to be setup right to your liking that's the one you get, if it's a Squier that seems to work for you that's fine.

All of them have different pickups (tons of options), the other real differences AFAICT is the MIM and Squier models have a 1-way truss rod, the American ones have a 2-way truss rod. The wood selections are different, and the Squiers don't have conductive shielding applied at the factory in the pickup cavities whereas the American ones have had that for a long time and the MIM ones have it now too.

You will see reports that the fretwork is not as good on the Squiers but that' up to you I guess.

I'm really really impressed with my MIM. Either it was setup extremely well at the factory or the previous owner had it set up by an expert. It plays extremely well. I think the previous owner had it setup where I bought it.. he had 20+ guitars on consignment at the luthier shop I bought it at, and that luthier is known as the best in the area for electric guitars and bass.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM

They're just excellent. Make sure you like vintage spec.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
They're just excellent. Make sure you like vintage spec.
Yep, because the pickups are lower output and the neck is different.
The build on these is good for the money, but I would try a few if you have the opportunity.
Personally, I would look for a used Mexican built or even just buy a new one, but some of the Squier's are pretty good as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Definitely not junk. I bought a Classic Vibe '50s Strat several years ago. Build quality was great for the price and the pick-ups were very nice. It felt and sounded like a good, vintage-leaning Strat. Some of the parts - pots, switch, tuners - were so-so. I did a few upgrades and handed it down to my daughter. She loves it.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Here's a great comparison video of 4 Strats at various price points: 2 Custom Shops, a MIJ, and a Squire Classic Vibe. The two gents, who really know their guitars, are blindfolded. In the end, they are both able to identify the Squire CV as the cheapest of the lot, but they do give it some high praise.

Personally, I've played one Squire CV and liked it. The poly coating seemed to be excessively thick for my liking, especially on the neck, but 3 of my 4 Fenders have Thin Skin nitro, which is my preferred Fender finish, so YMMV. And the pots and switch felt cheapish compared to the American stuff I own. Great guitars for the money though.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM

I have a Squier CV Tele - a very nice guitar on the cheap. I have a great American Standard Tele that I play a lot, but I have no qualms about switching to the CV once in a while. There isn't much of a dropoff in sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars