The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin binding

First off, I know aesthetics are secondary to tone, but are any of you upset that white boltaron is used on the standard series? I love Martin, so I'm not bashing. The extreme example would be the d-45. It is $10,599.00 msrp. How sad would it be to spend that money and have that binding. I know the older guitars have ivoroid, which I think looks better.

2013 Rockbridge slope
Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRodgers View Post
First off, I know aesthetics are secondary to tone, but are any of you upset that white boltaron is used on the standard series? I love Martin, so I'm not bashing. The extreme example would be the d-45. It is $10,599.00 msrp. How sad would it be to spend that money and have that binding. I know the older guitars have ivoroid, which I think looks better.
I'm not certain whether Ivoroid was ever made from vinyl but I do know that the original version was made from nitrocellulose base. Although I agree that it is prettier than the Boltaron, if it is nitrocellulose, it has a number of negative issues associated with it.

It is highly flammable. This is not much of a problem for a guitar that is kept in its case or away from flame, although I've seen cigarette burns on Martin guitars. There is however a big problem storing it in a factory and working with it. It's dangerous when storef in large quantities in one place.

It also has a time limit on it. After 50 years or so, it will deteriorate. Even before that, it can crack and need replacement due to the solvents with which it's made drying out.

None of this applies if they are using Ivoroid that is made from Vinyl. I really don't know so I can only guess. Vinyl makes a perfectly good substitute for nitrocellulose, however.

So, there are probably more reasons why Martin and other companies have changed. In any case, I won't be paying $10,000 for any guitar. It's not in the cards for me. I've heard some great music played on D-18's and D-28's so I don't see any need for added bling with more glue and extra binding.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:15 AM

I don't think I've ever cared about the binding on standard series. I might care less about the backstripe but its close. Minor cosmetic details just don't mean much to me.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM

I do not like the stark white Boltaron binding on the standards, much prefer the Iveroid that comes on the Marquis/VIntage/GE models etc.

Personally I prefer Tortoise binding over Iveroid and wood over all of them. But none of these binding are deal breakers to me if it's a great sounding guitar.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
I'm not certain whether Ivoroid was ever made from vinyl but I do know that the original version was made from nitrocellulose base.
...its still a celluloid plastic...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It's really country western-like, this white binding. I find it rather ugly, but what can one do? Both boltaron and ivoroid are second-rate bindings to me, but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder on this one. I listen to the tone of my Martin and find peace every time..
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Personally I prefer Tortoise binding over Iveroid and wood over all of them. But none of these binding are deal breakers to me if it's a great sounding guitar.
I should've just let this quote be my response. As usual, Rich . . . .
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Boltaron isn't a deal breaker for me but it comes awfully close and I'm really not one to be driven much by cosmetics.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Ivoroid I don't love but I don't mind it either.

Bolatron pushes my tolerance a bit but it still wouldn't be a deal breaker on a great guitar.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm with Rich and Paul. I grimaced when Martin swapped out the Tortoise bindings and guards in the 60s. Not a deal breaker, but not aesthetically pleasing to the eyes of this beholder.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
First off, I know aesthetics are secondary to tone, but are any of you upset that white boltaron is used on the standard series?
The White boltaron is the thing I like the least about my D-35.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM

The lowest priced Standard now has tortoise binding instead of boltaron or ivoroid ... D-18 ... another reason to love it!

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM

While we're on the subject, how much $ to change binding? Big deal or easy street?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
While we're on the subject, how much $ to change binding? Big deal or easy street?
If you build a guitar through there website it looks like from Ivroid to Rosewood, maple or walnut is about 150.00 more

And this is what my custom would cost $8,100.00 That was fun!

http://www.martinguitar.com/custom-s...ur-custom.html

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 05-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Hi Paul,
Big deal. Really big deal. Binding is put in prior to finish. The labor involved in taking the binding out cleanly and then replacing and sanding flush probably isn't even the worst part of the job. I think that the guitar gets refinished then.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion