The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Default String Question

Hey all, just wondering if medium strings are a good idea if your playing finger style guitar? Reason I'm asking this is because I got given some from my guitar shop for free, so I want to use them, but I've only ever used light strings so I'm not sure how they will feel.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 PM

Try them and see. Make sure your guitar is rated to take them, won't hurt to try but you wouldn't want to give a lightly built guitar a steady diet of the extra tension.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 PM

I use custom lights on my guitar. I don't like the feel of lights and I can't stand the feel of mediums. Just too heavy for my style. I like to bend the strings a bit and the mediums are just too hard on my fingers and my style.

But you have to try them to decide for yourself.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:51 PM

There is no such thing as gauge of string = style of play. This is an individual choice, and is arrived at by trying many different string types and gauges.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Ok, thanks for the help guys
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM

NO, medium strings are not a good idea if your playing finger style guitar. Nor for your guitar, nor for your fingers, nor for your music. Mediums are more for dreadnoughts and for struming with picks. Mediums are for more power and volume but you can't get power and volume from them with fingers. On the contrary, when playing finger style guitar you will get more power with lighter strings. I use medium-lights on my dread only when singing with friends. I am using lights or even custom lights on other dread when play with fingers and especially via pickup.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Fingerstyle with mediums

Not a problem. Did it for years.

I guess the real question is - how well can you play? String gauge and guitar shape shouldn't even be factors. A good musician will play well on anything.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 AM

I had a Taylor LKSM-6 which is a jumbo that comes form the factory with medium gauge strings. I play without picks or long nails and loved that guitar with that string gauge. Medium gauge strings can be set for lower action than light gauge strings before the onset of buzzing so it was very easy to play the way I had it setup.

It is up to the individual player to decide what string gauge works best for his technique and the characteristics of his guitar. However, some guitars can't handle the added tension of medium gauge strings.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM

Interesting to know regards what guage of strings best for your Guitar

Id say worth a try but as long as your guitar can take the tension

although for finger style id reckon best with a lighter guage of string ..
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM

It really depends on you and your guitar. Just try 'em and see. They may feel stiff but give it a few weeks and they'll feel light again - and if you move back a gauge again you'll fly (at the cost of having to go back up and do it all over when you want to repeat that experience!)
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM

I use mediums on all my guitars and play fingerstyle 95% of the time. I find that mediums give me better bounce back on my picking hand as well as my fret hand when hammering and pulling off.

Kurt
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM

I have just discovered the Elixir Custom Light PB strings. I just switched my GS Mini over to them from Mediums and was really impressed! I am so impressed that I am considering adding a LR Baggs Element to it now. Custom Lights are awesome. I might even try a set on my 314CE.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Probably 75% (at least) of my playing is fingerstyle. I play my guitar really hard, and find that medium strings prevent a lot of buzzing, with a lower action.

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

I must say that traveling and reading forums I found some big differences in approach between USA and Europe in some skills.

Big differences are for example in fishing techniques and how different we merit fishing equipment. I noticed that in USA people are using ligher equipment for same species.

Interestingly, when playing guitars, people in Europe are using lighter strings much more than Americans. Here in Europe you will find much less people who use medium strings even for playing with picks, not to speak playing fingerstyle.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM

12-53 guage D'Addario EJ 16 strings are a good place to start. Sometimes you can vary a string set by replacing one or two specific strings with a lighter or heavier guage to make a custom set suitable to a specific guitar or more suitable to your playing style. I bend strings way too much to go to a true medium.

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion