The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav.mittal View Post
...Would love to hear from those who have played D1 vs their D1 Traditional or their baked iterations?
I have owned a D1 Baked and a D1A Traditional. Both are exceptional guitars. I can only speak to those two guitars - not the entire production. My D1 was warmer and more appealing to my ears. My D1A T was louder and a little brighter than my baked D1. Both guitars are great but different. They are build different and, I believe, that the baking of my D1 is what brought it up to the level of the D1A Trad. but it wasn't as loud if loud is something one is looking for - however it was plenty loud.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:32 PM

I played a D1AT and was not blown away. It was a solid dread to be sure. But it didn't seem to have the same magic that my Waterloo Wl-S deluxe has. I haven't played a satin or baked one though.

Looking at your existing collection, what I'm wondering is whether you've considered offloading like 4-5 or so of these in order to get into an actual pre war Martin dread. Seems like a holy grail D-18 could be within your reach.

Also, just judging from clips online, there are some sick builders like Jimmy Edmonds, Thomas Fredholm and Bagnasco and Casati that are IMHO making superior mahogany dreads to Collings for a similar price. But of course it's all subjective.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, collings d1, collings d1a, collings dreadnought