The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Default NFL Draft : How do you like your team's picks

How do you feel about your team's picks this year? 1 round down, 6 to go.

Raiders get Karl Joseph, safety out of West Virginia. Never heard of him--not a lot of pre-draft noise about him.

Uh...wow. Some of the most dynamic play I've seen on any player in the draft. I think we got a great player at a position of strong need. I like the pick a lot.

Who else is fired up? Confused? Disappointed? Who do you want in later rounds?

Last edited by CoolerKing; 04-30-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 AM

Lifelong Cleveland Browns fan. The lead up to the draft is always the highlight of my NFL season for obvious reasons. For many years I have been bitterly disappointed during the draft because I knew they made lousy picks the minute they made them and I am far from a draft guru. Their draft failures are the stuff of legend.

I was relatively happy with their pick of Cory Coleman. Looks like he could become a legitimate wide receiver in the NFL. 4.37 in the 40 yard dash. Needs some polishing, but most of the drafted do anyway.

They have the first pick tonight. I can't wait to see who they get. The 3 guys I have in my sights are Myles Jack (though his injury status makes me worry), Connor Cook (QB from Michigan State) and Whitehair the offensive lineman. Lots of good defensive lineman still left, too.

I like the fact they are stockpiling draft picks this year and the next two years. Two first round picks next year and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks in the next two years. Clearly they are going no where this year. My brother has them going 0-16. I would be OK if they didn't pick a QB this year as they may be in position to draft the best QB next year. Give RGIII a shot this year.

I'll report back tomorrow after Draft Day 2 is over - I know you are all waiting anxiously to see how the Browns do.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:10 AM

I'm loving the Bengals #24 pick for several reasons. First off, the defensive backfield is made up of mostly 1st round draft pick corners, and William Jackson III will fit right in. He has long arms, good speed, and attitude. Just what an NFL corner needs. When watching game tape a few weeks ago from University of Houston, Paul Geunther (Bengals DC) asked him "They don't give you much help over on your side down there" to which he responded "No problem, I just tell them to tell me who they want me to cover and I'll cover him." With other first round corners Adam Jones, Leon Hall,Dre Kirkpatrick, Darquiz Dennard in front of him to mentor him, he won't be pressed to play too quickly unless injuries force it. The other GREAT thing about the pick....and I mean GREAT.... is that the Steelers really really really wanted him at #25 and had to settle for Miami's Artie Burns. Pro Football Focus gave the Bengals pick an "A" and the Steelers a "D", in that the Steelers play mostly zone and that is where Burns struggles......Bwaahaaahaaahaaaa........ I suspect they will go Wide Reciever next...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th

Last edited by sled; 04-29-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

The Browns have crushed the mechanics of the draft for sure, pulling in all those picks! They're definitely set up to succeed this year, they just have to use the picks well. Don't really know what their needs are (everything?) so hard to evaluate the pick, but if I recall from last year against the Raiders their TE was their best receiver so it seems to make a lot of sense.

Rodger, look forward to hearing what you have to say after day 2. Interesting team this year for sure.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
I'm loving the Bengals #24 pick for several reasons. First off, the defensive backfield is made up of mostly 1st round draft pick corners, and William Jackson III will fit right in. He has long arms, good speed, and attitude. Just what an NFL corner needs. When watching game tape a few weeks ago from University of Houston, Paul Geunther (Bengals DC) asked him "They don't give you much help over on your side down there" to which he responded "No problem, I just tell them to tell me who they want me to cover and I'll cover him." With other first round corners Adam Jones, Leon Hall,Dre Kirkpatrick, Darquiz Dennard in front of him to mentor him, he won't be pressed to play too quickly unless injuries force it. The other GREAT thing about the pick....and I mean GREAT.... is that the Steelers really really really wanted him at #25 and had to settle for Miami's Artie Burns. Pro Football Focus gave the Bengals pick an "A" and the Steelers a "D", in that the Steelers play mostly zone and that is where Burns struggles......Bwaahaaahaaahaaaa........ I suspect they will go Wide Reciever next...

Great to nab him before Pittsburg. Raiders were apparently thinking Pittsburgh was after Karl Joseph as well.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM

I can't believe Myles Jack didn't go in the first round. I know he is injured, but when you look at tape, he is the most violent college player I have seen since Sean Taylor. Not dirty, just violently explosive. But if he falls past 45, he collects on an insurance policy, so he is probably hoping he doesn't get picked in the first half of the second round.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM

The Bills selected Shaq Lawson and everyone is pleased.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I can't believe Myles Jack didn't go in the first round. I know he is injured, but when you look at tape, he is the most violent college player I have seen since Sean Taylor. Not dirty, just violently explosive. But if he falls past 45, he collects on an insurance policy, so he is probably hoping he doesn't get picked in the first half of the second round.
I know the Bengals looked at him and the team doctors said no....

Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
I know the Bengals looked at him and the team doctors said no....
This will tell me a lot about the Browns draft strategy. The past regimes would take him with their next pick (1st pick in the second round). Their new approach is similar to "Money Ball." Last night I was hoping someone would take Tunsil before the Browns' pick. For years, they've liked the intriguing selections - Brandon Weeden (30 year old rookie) for instance. Or, they'd go with really talented people that had serious off the field issues. Maybe this new group of evaluators are going to go with stand up folks that have talent. Novel approach!

A healthy Myles Jack would have been snatched up in the top 5 picks easily. A hard hitting linebacker like him doesn't come along every year. Also, I'm interested to see if anyone picks Jalen Smith from Notre Dame. VERY risky, but may be worth a 6th or 7th round pick. He isn't going to play this year, but if he comes back the year after near what he was before the knee injury, it could be worth it.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Loved the Raiders' first pick. Since then? Bizarre.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 AM

Reporting back as promised...

For the first time since the Browns returned in 1999, I am thrilled with the draft! Cleveland picked players that are productive, hard working and free from "off-the-field" issues. Highlights for me:
  • 5 receivers. Colman appears to be an elite game changer. The other ones were highly productive in college.
  • Defensive lineman: a few pass rushers.
  • 2 linebackers. I like the guy from Wisconsin, but I think the future might prove that Scooby Wright will be the steal of the draft. I think he may turn into a Jack Lambert, Chris Spielman, Zack Thomas type of player.
  • The USC QB. I was skeptical at first, but think the plan is to groom him as a good backup and go for the franchise QB next year.

It takes at least 2 to 3 years to evaluate a draft, I realize. I think it's possible that this year and next year's drafts will be looked back on as the ones that turned the Browns' franchise around. They are building the pieces around a future elite QB. Why draft one when you don't have the O Line, receivers and running game to protect him?

My weird fear is that this draft may produce a team that isn't totally horrible and they won't be drafting in the top 5 next year. Well, kind of a win-win situation.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Last night I was hoping someone would take Tunsil before the Browns' pick. .
Yeah, between Josh Gordon and Johnny Alcohol, I don't think the Browns would have touched Tunsil with a 10 foot pole...

Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 05-01-2016, 07:19 AM

Agreed Steve... My wife and I watched most of the 3 draft days (me by choice, my wife went along with it). Even she commented several times when the ESPN folks would mention a drafted player who tested positive twice for ecstasy and recently for DUI, a few arrested for burglary, failed drug tests, etc. I was happy the Browns stayed away from those ones and still came out with talented, productive players.

I think with the number of receivers the Browns drafted, Gordon will be released soon. It's a shame because he's incredibly talented. Browns drafted him even knowing he had drug issues in college. I think those days are over here in Cleveland. Someone will pick him up if he ever becomes eligible again. The NFL is enamored with talent regardless of off the field issues.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 AM

I am upset that the Patriots lost their first round pick due to the foolish ruling
of a couple of allegedly under inflated balls.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Hey All,

Seahawk fan here...

Looks like Seattle is going back to basics - linemen and running backs (with the retirement of Lynch). I like the 6 ft 6 TE and the WR choices.

Quote:
Here's a look at the 10 picks Seattle made in the 2016 draft:

Round 1 | Pick 31 | No. 31 overall: OT Germain Ifedi, Texas A&M

Round 2 | Pick 25 | No. 49 overall (from Chicago): DT Jarran Reed, Alabama

Round 3 | Pick 27 | No. 90 overall: RB C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame

Round 3 | Pick 35 | No. 94 overall (from Denver): TE Nick Vannett, Ohio State

Round 3 | Pick 35 | No. 97 overall*: OG Rees Odhiambo, Boise State

Round 5 | Pick 8 | No. 147 overall: DT Quinton Jefferson, Maryland

Round 5 | Pick 34 | No. 171 overall*: RB Alex Collins, Arkansas

Round 6 | Pick 40 | No. 215 overall*: C Joey Hunt, TCU

Round 7 | Pick 22 | No. 243 overall (from Houston through New England): WR Kenny Lawler, California

Round 7 | Pick 26 | No. 247 overall: RB Zac Brooks, Clemson
From: http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/04...fl-draft-class

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic