The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Wood body Nationals??????? (blue you out there?)

been thinking of picking up a wood body Triolian or one of the M1 Tricones(i kinda like the way the single cone allows space for my right hand, never owned a tricone but i've wondered if the way the tricone setup is, would it be a bother to ones right hand placement-oh, and i primarily fingerpick with the tips-nothing on them-might use a thumbpick from time to time).

only have experience with the 12 fret Nationals, not sure if they offer 14 fret wood bodies, but if so give me your thoughts of those if you have one.

was wondering the thoughts of those who have them, what you like, what you don't, anything you think of.

i have experience with a 12 fret single cone steel body-like it but i think i'd like the smoother less metal sound of a wood body-and the lighter weight.

thanks
d
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Hey Darryl. I don't have a tricone wood body. I do play a lot on a single cone wood body though.

The tricone saddle cover comes from the fact that the first Nationals were designed for lap playing Hawaiian music. The round neck came second. They didn't change the cover when they came up with the round neck even though it isn't the perfect design for "spanish style" playing.

You do get used it. You learn how to mute without playing sharp. Just like you learn to play up to the 17th fret with a 12 fret guitar. You just do.

I prefer wood single cones to metal single cones. Primarily because you get so much more sustain, if you want it. That's the advantage. You can end notes, and sound like a duolian, or you can let them ring with almost tricone style sustain, but you still have that single cone punch.

However I prefer tricones to single cones. Never having owned a wood tricone (I have played them), I'll leave that to those in the know on them. Neal knows his way around them. Hopefully he'll see this and comment.

Last edited by blue; 05-06-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I've got an M1 Tricone (#3) and a Vintage Steel Tricone. I like the singing sustain of the Tricone...gto the VS first....and then wanted to try a wooden resonator expecting a warmer tone than you get from the metal bodies.

First tried a Radiotone Bendaway but didn't care for the banjo quality tone of the Radiotone. Ended up selling the Radiotone and ordered an M1 when they were announced.

I'm not a real accomplished bottleneck player...its more of a diversion for me....but I love the tone of the Tricone and like the M1 even better. Although the M1 does sound warmer and more woody than my steel body...the VS Tricone is not anywhere near as "trash can" sounding as single cone resos. They are much more smooth sounding than single cones. That's not a slam on single cones...a lot of people love that sound....I just prefer the sound of Tricones.

It doesn't take long to get used to the bridge on the Tricone...you'll adapt fairly quickly after you play it for a while...every so often I convince myself to list the vintage Steel for sale but then I play it and it sounds so good that I never list it.

BTW...drive to Raleigh and try them both!

BTW...the M1 is quite a bit lighter than the Vintage Steel.

I would like to try one of the new wooden Triolians but have not come across one yet. Good luck on the hunt.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
the VS Tricone is not anywhere near as "trash can" sounding as single cone resos. They are much more smooth sounding than single cones.

every so often I convince myself to list the vintage Steel for sale but then I play it and it sounds so good that I never list it.
As I said, I can't speak to the wood. As to the steel tricone, I consider a steel tricone a Fender, and a brass tricone a Gibson. The steel tricone does not sound worse than a brass, just different. Clearer, slightly thinner. The brass more syrupy and a touch nasal. Both amazing, and folks I have given that description to have found it to be as good as any other way to describe them. Fender and Gibson.

I love my Polychrome Steel tricone. I have it, a baritone bell brass, and a german silver standard tricone. All are unique all are 100% amazing, pro level instruments. The steel is not a step down on the food chain. Just a different tone.

I'm sure I will someday own a wood tricone. Just a matter of time, but a national Uke is line before it. Short of some ridiculously incredibly low price on a wood tri.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 PM

I have a great sounding National El Trovador. I like everything about it and recommend it highly.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM

I just happen to be working on a prototype solid EIR 000 body roundneck tricone. It's a 12 fret to the body, but has a florentine cutaway. I've owned three different Nationals: a '33 Duolian, a '36 Style O, and a '30 roundneck style 1 tricone. Of the three, I really like the tricone in there's great string separation, where the single cones, although louder, were less distinct.
Anyway, I look to start a thread on the construction of this instrument soon: Here are a few shots.
This is the cone/bridge setup:

The tone ring set in the side assy:

top/back/tone ring assy:
Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Mr Propsom

Thanks so much for this build mention and the photos. I've been drawn to your builds soon as you joined. There's something very intuitive in your instruments i firmly believe. Please keep us posted on this, i think it will be amazing

d
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
I just happen to be working on a prototype solid EIR 000 body roundneck tricone.
Bless you Sir! There are so few builders like you out there for us. I'm interested to see a dovetail neck setup. Are you going extra sturdy on the neck for heavy strings, or do you think a "boutique" lighter build will work well with lighter strings?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Hi, Blue. I don't want to completely hijack Daryl's thread, so later today or tomorrow, I'll start a Project thread on my 000 tricone. However, since this is the first roundneck reso I've built, I'm going to do a bolt on neck instead of a dovetail, to make changing the neck angle easier just in case I need to. With my regular six strings, I'm completely confident in setting the neck with the dove, but I really want a little 'wiggle room' with this one, especially since I've not decided whether to ultimately go with mediums, or the Brosnac hybrid heavy gauges.
I'm really looking forward to this project. I believe it's going to be fun (probably frustrating at times), and hopefully rewarding. PS: I might put the thread in the Custom forum--but I'll be sure to make an announcement here if I do.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
I'm really looking forward to this project. I believe it's going to be fun (probably frustrating at times), and hopefully rewarding.
As any worthy project should be, Michael. But then you're no stranger to that scenario. Look forward to your project thread... My head has just come out of the project we discussed at instrument show... Waiting on feedback at the moment. Pins and needles my friend.

Jerry
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Jerry, you've been PM'd.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM

I have an M2 (wood bodied single cone) and a Triolian (metal, single.) I used to own a Delphi, and I still own an ancient (late '20's?) steel tricone squareneck. I got a Hot Rod tricone, steel body, to check out the tricone sound -- and I like it, but I'm not convinced I like it enough to replace my M2.

The M2 gets the grand majority of play. I like the sound of metal resos, but there's just something warm and appealing and a little mysterious about the sound of the wood. Also, it's much, much lighter, and when I'm playing outside, in the heat of summer, for hours at a time, that's a significant issue!

There is a 14 fret wood body -- the M14 I think? If you need the extra frets, and don't need the 12 fret sound, that would be a great option.

Collings OM2Hss -- Collings 0001A -- '79 Guild F30 -- Waterloo WL-14L
'37 National Rosita "Eurydice" -- NRP Radiotone Bendaway "Kokopelli" -- NRP Collegian
Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Wish I could help, but my wood tricone is a 12 string, different beast. Blue is correct that you get use to the cover. All 3 Nationals in my keeping are wood, only one is a 6 string though. Never gravitated toward the metal.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Guest 2143

I like all of the National models, but only allow myself one. It is a Vintage Steel Delphi. I like that it can get that trash can sound, but I also think it can sound really smooth and sweet, especially when played with bare fingers and a glass slide. I find it has pretty good sustain - not like a tricone, but pretty good, and I just love the attack of the single cone. The wooden ones are great too, no doubt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments