The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM

I have the $15/mo basic internet from TWC and a Ruku. Netflix and Amazon Prime. The wife is hooked on the series we watch together and hasn't complained yet about missing LTMN and Hallmark.

Antenna install in attic and receiving all network programming in HD. Several old movie and series channels and PBS (HD).

I practice more and mindlessly surf away my evenings less.

TBH I never would have come to know how much a person can accomplish with 2 hours a night if I hadn't took a break from cable. To me that was worth more than any savings.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I have no desire for HBO, but I do miss football. I wish the NFL would come up with an internet service like MLB has.
An antenna should work for most nfl games
We pull in Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, and a few independents with crystal clear 1080 signals.

I'm close to doing the same.

max
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 PM

What does this have to do with playing guitar.

Sent from [email protected]
Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikersights View Post
What does this have to do with playing guitar.
Nothing in particular. But this thread is in the "Open Mic" section of the forum, which is "Discussions that are of interest to our community and not necessarily related to acoustic guitars or music.".
Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 PM

Ok you learn something new every day.now when I have something to say of some importance I know where to post it.have a nice night.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:10 PM

We cut the cable chord about 6 years ago, installed an antenna and a signal booster for local channels. We go to the sports bar for college football games that we just have to see. I buy from amazon, my wife has a kendal so the prime service seems to fit and with the service comes an entertainment package that's akin to Netflix.

When we first bought Amazon Prime it was 70-80 dollars a year, I think it's a hundred dollars now.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 10-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

No can do, laddie. My wife is a news junkie.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 AM

We cut the cable back in February and don't miss it.

Right now, we are paying about $30/month for 60mb of internet. Heck, 30mb was enough to run all of our devices. We have a Nintendo Wii and a couple of Roku boxes going into our CRT TVs (we have yet to upgrade to flat screens, and probably won't until they die). We subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. We gave Hulu a shot for a few weeks, but we ended up cancelling it because we never watched it. In addition, Roku now has a YouTube app, and you'll be surprised as to what is available for free via YouTube (gone are the days of being limited to only a 10 minute upload). Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube, we have more than enough to watch.

I have noticed a couple of side effects of doing this:

1. I now get the majority of my news online, and it's more difficult than ever to find non-biased news. For some reason or another, I really feel like televised national news isn't nearly as biased as news websites for some reason. I may be incorrect, but that's just how I feel.

2. My kids have no idea what they want for Christmas because they don't watch commercials on cable TV advertising latest and greatest toys. They are also homeschooled, and the vast majority of their friends they have are other homeschooled kids who don't have cable either. This is pretty cool because they are really happy with the possessions they already own and seem pretty darn happy playing outside or watching their favorite cartoons on Netflix.

3. For the first time ever, I have no idea what the big blockbuster movies are (or were since February). I watch movie trailers online to see if anything looks good. Then, I'll go rent it at Redbox. I probably rent a movie from Redbox about once every 2-3 months.

4. I don't spend any time complaining about how there's nothing good to watch anymore. I also don't complain about how I'm paying for 100 channels just to watch 3-4.

5. I think the only channel I miss is Discovery because I'm pretty sure there is no way to watch it without subscribing to cable. Even on Hulu, there were only previews to shows 2-3 min. "behind the scenes" snippets of shows.

6. About a week or so ago, we took our monstrosity of a TV out of our living room (which I've been wanting to do for the better part of a decade). Now, our family actually sits around and reads books, plays on mobile devices, and/or actually talks to each other. Here's a before and after pic of our living room (sorry for the big pics).

With the TV:

Without the TV:

I LOVE the feel of our living room now. Plus, the burgundy chair on the right of the lamp belonged to my dad, and the cream-colored chair on the left belonged to my grandfather (both are well broken in and feel amazing).

We don't ever plan on going back to cable or satellite again. What a waste (for us, anyways).

Best of luck!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

We inherited a creme colored chair that looks just like that one from my wife's grandmother.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikersights View Post
Ok you learn something new every day.now when I have something to say of some importance I know where to post it.have a nice night.

It doesn't have to be important.
max
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all of the tips and opinions.

I appreciate it!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:52 AM

We pay under $20 per mo for basic comcast cable. The ONLY reason we keep them is that our internet price would increase to about the same amount if we cancelled them (bundling). If I had another comparable way to get internet I would get rid of comcast quickly. I have had a string of negative interactions with them over the years. Service continues to decline as does the quality of my picture.

After the digital conversion, when they claimed if your cable worked you had to do nothing, we had a nice digital picture on all our flat screens. A year or so later they started to require DTA adapters (at a fee) and we went from digital back to an analog picture which is what we have now. I also can only hook up another TV by leasing another DTA adapter. We stream a lot off of the internet and we can get digital quality video that way. FWIW The whole lease thing is ridiculous as the cost of these adapters are about 1 lease payment. A nice revenue generator for comcast.

We had been having sporadic internet outages and found out our modem has been outdated for over a year even though we have been leasing it for $8 per month. They never let us know is was outdated and required me to come get another or wait 10 business days to send one. Comcast is the most repulsive company I deal with on a regular basis. Outside of that everythings cool.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
We pay under $20 per mo for basic comcast cable. The ONLY reason we keep them is that our internet price would increase to about the same amount if we cancelled them (bundling). If I had another comparable way to get internet I would get rid of comcast quickly. I have had a string of negative interactions with them over the years. Service continues to decline as does the quality of my picture.
Exact same issue with Verizon.

Internet and phone without cable: $110 a month
Internet and phone with cable: $50+/- a month

I am in a bundle deal for the next two years (read below how that happened...it's a laugh.) Every channel offered, 50 up and down internet, and phone for $130 a month. If I change my plan to less channels it actually gets more expensive because of the bundle discounts.

They want to keep you in that bundle.

How I got the new bundle:

1. Someone in my area calls in a request to move their service.
2. Verizon accidentally disconnects my service.
3. Spend all day getting my service back.
4. Had to 'renew' with a new two year contract.
5. For the inconvenience, I get offered $80 a month in discounts for the next two years on a package with everything they have to offer channel wise. So instead of being $210 a month, I am paying $130 a month. I figure that's a good deal.

Fast forward two months into my new contract....

1. One discount disappears. My bill goes up $20.
2. I call to fix the error.
3. Am told original representative who initiated my new contract made an error and should not have offered that. "Sorry Mike, you cannot have your discounts back."
4. I ask if I can terminate without early termination fees because I am terminating a contract you changed, not the original contract I signed.
5. After 5 minutes of nonsense Verizon agrees to give me the discounts back for one year only.
6. I don't have the time to stay on the phone any longer so I agree.

Now I have a year to decide how I want to set myself up which is why I started the thread.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

This thread has been an education of sorts. Very interesting...

Hey PPG -- I love the looks of your living room! Great job! What a cozy place!

- Glenn
Old 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
This thread has been an education of sorts. Very interesting...

Hey PPG -- I love the looks of your living room! Great job! What a cozy place!

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn.

If you like that, here are a couple of pictures of our first fire of the year taken a week or so ago:

The little dog in the red chair didn't move for HOURS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic