The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 PM

Default Do You Regret Going To College?

For those who went, do you regret it?

I've come to regard going to college as the biggest mistake I ever made. It cost too much and returned too little for me to make it worth anything.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Not at all, but I will be the first to say that not everyone should go and too many parents make their kids go when some other training, like trade or tech schools may be much better for them.

A college degree is many times nothing more than a barrier to entry and not really needed to do the job. On the flip side too many get out of high school and can't read or write at any level and are almost illiterate.

It's something that needs to be thought through and not just shove junior out the door for four years and a boat load of money wasted.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
For those who went, do you regret it?

I've come to regard going to college as the biggest mistake I ever made. It cost too much and returned too little for me to make it worth anything.
What was your degree?

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:46 PM

I don't regret it, but it didn't serve me financially, either. (English Literature...go figure.)
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC

No regrets whatsoever. I learned a lot about things that were interesting me. I was exposed to some brilliant people (professors and students). It expanded all of my horizons: intellectual, emotional, relational, spiritual. I had a lot of great experiences, and am pretty sure that most of the bad experiences (relationship break-ups, disappointments, anxieties about where my life was headed) I had would have happened in pretty much the same way if I hadn't gone to college, just some of the details would have been different. And for me, my college degree established a foundation for a career that has been richly rewarding psychologically, while it provided financial sufficiency. I didn't go too far into debt to get my degrees: did two years at a community college, then attended state universities after that. Worked when I could throughout my years in school.

For me, going to college was one of the best decisions I ever made. Sorry that your experience was so unrewarding, piper guitarist.
Charter Member

No, not at all.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:49 PM

My degrees are BS and MS in math. I sucked at everything else and I don't have the brain power to do engineering, medicine, or any of the other big money careers.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Not at all.

Of course, an engineering degree is worth a LOT . . . especially at the tuition/books costs of over 30 years ago.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
My degrees are BS and MS in math. I sucked at everything else and I don't have the brain power to do engineering, medicine, or any of the other big money careers.
We have several math majors working for us as engineering techs.

Starting salaries are around $50k, I think. For somebody who's been at it for 20+ years it can easily be six figures.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
My degrees are BS and MS in math. I sucked at everything else and I don't have the brain power to do engineering,
Electrical engineering (especially on the digital side) is almost entirely math.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 PM

No....I worked a great career and it is there that I met my husband.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 10-19-2014, 07:05 PM

No. No regrets either financially or intellectually.
So sorry it's not making sense to you right now. Lots of things make sense or seem worth it later.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 10-19-2014, 07:08 PM

4 years art college, 3 years university for a BA then 3 more years in law school for an LLB. It was a blast at school and I like practicing law so no regrets there.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:12 PM

I don't regret it one bit.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM

"Consider two childhood friends, Ernie and Bill. Hard workers with helpful families, each saves exactly $16,594 for college. Ernie doesn’t get accepted to a school he likes. Instead, he starts work at 18 and invests his college savings in a mutual fund that tracks the broad stock market.

Throughout his life, he makes average yearly pay for a high school graduate with no college, starting at $15,901 after taxes and peaking at $32,538. Each month, he adds to his stock fund 5% of his after-tax income, close to the nation’s current savings rate. It returns 8% a year, typical for stock investors.

Bill has a typical college experience. He gets into a public college and after two years transfers to a private one. He spends $49,286 on tuition and required fees, the average for such a track. I’m not counting room and board, since Bill must pay for his keep whether he goes to college or not. Bill gets average-size grants, adjusted for average probabilities of receiving them, and so pays $34,044 for college.

He leaves school with an average-size student loan and a good interest rate: $17,450 at 5%. The $16,594 he has saved for college, you see, is precisely enough to pay what his loans don’t cover.

Bill will have higher pay than Ernie his whole life, starting at $23,505 after taxes and peaking at $56,808. Like Ernie, he sets aside 5%. At that rate, it will take him 12 years to pay off his loan. Debt-free at 34, he starts adding to the same index fund as Ernie, making bigger monthly contributions with his higher pay. But when the two reunite at 65 for a retirement party, Ernie will have grown his savings to nearly $1.3 million. Bill will have less than a third of that."
(Source)

It's stories like this that make me question the value of college. Unless you're smart enough to do be either a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, you'll never make the money back and you will be behind long-term. I'm definitely not smart enough to do any of that. In fact I'm downright stupid and due to having more than one serious personality disorder I can't work for or under someone.

I agree with whoever said trade school should be emphasized more. If I had done that I'd likely have a successful small business now. But oh no, public high school just had to push traditional college on me and I will forever resent them for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic