The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

With the advent of cluck-tracking an sophisticated web analytics, it's no longer credible to blame the media for what's on the news, regardless of media type.
All news is informed by what's popular on the web outlet, and what we all click on is what they're going to push.

I think the best two recent examples of this in the non political sphere are Tebow and Manziel. Neither are or were more than a moderately interesting story, and neither have done anything as pros to warrant the coverage they have received. Announcers on ESPN have even commented and complained on-air about having to push their stories daily due to the analytics.

The same is true with the news. They push what's popular. Sure they have some editorial leanings but within that framework they give us what we want. They aim to hook us, much like drug dealers. Feel yourself getting angry every day watching/reading/listening to it? The emotion is addictive, and anger is the easiest emotion to stir. Why do people troll? They're hooked on the reaction. It's all part of the same phenomenon.

If you find yourself getting outraged or angry every day, the simple fact is that you're being manipulated. Find another source of infotainment you may notice a change. This applies to me as well as anyone. We need to be aware of what's being done to make the change.

Today more than ever we get the media/government we deserve.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 10-13-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
With the advent of cluck-tracking an sophisticated web analytics, it's no longer credible to blame the media for what's on the news, regardless of media type.
All news is informed by what's popular on the web outlet, and what we all click on is what they're going to push.

I think the best two recent examples of this in the non political sphere are Tebow and Manziel. Neither are or were more than a moderately interesting story, and neither have done anything as pros to warrant the coverage they have received. Announcers on ESPN have even commented and complained on-air about having to push their stories daily due to the analytics.

The same is true with the news. They push what's popular. Sure they have some editorial leanings but within that framework they give us what we want. They aim to hook us, much like drug dealers. Feel yourself getting angry every day watching/reading/listening to it? The emotion is addictive, and anger is the easiest emotion to stir. Why do people troll? They're hooked on the reaction. It's all part of the same phenomenon.

If you find yourself getting outraged or angry every day, the simple fact is that you're being manipulated. Find another source of infotainment you may notice a change. This applies to me as well as anyone. We need to be aware of what's being done to make the change.

Today more than ever we get the media/government we deserve.
Very true. I'd much rather see another website with "cute" animal pictures than to click around sites that offer dramatic headlines, little substance, and lots of outrage.

IMO, we are not here on earth to get angry, or to cave into fear. These feelings are inevitable, of course. But feeding them so that they become giants? Not a good use of a psyche or a soul. IMO.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
11,000 firearm deaths.
And there of course is the inevitable anti-firearm post. Guess I'll head back to the Tinted Windows thread. I'm self moderating these days.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
And there of course is the inevitable anti-firearm post. Guess I'll head back to the Tinted Windows thread. I'm self moderating these days.
I don't think that statistic has to be interpreted as an anti-firearm post. It's simply another risk for death in the US, more likely and immediate than contracting and dying from Ebola. As Bob pointed out, 61% of the firearm deaths were from suicides. And with more effort and outreach to those contemplating suicide, it could be diminished.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 10-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip>

If you find yourself getting outraged or angry every day, the simple fact is that ...
You should stay out of the Open Mic sub-forum, and give us poor Mods a break.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:13 PM

I feel for the moderators - hey Larry - at least tonight - it seems that the storms down south trumped Ebola for today. Ebola has now been in the headlines for close to 2 weeks on the News Hour,

H
Old 10-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
I feel for the moderators - hey Larry - at least tonight - it seems that the storms down south trumped Ebola for today. Ebola has now been in the headlines for close to 2 weeks on the News Hour,

H

They'll move on to something else shortly...short attention spans and all.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
They'll move on to something else shortly...short attention spans and all.
Your initial commentary isn't isolated to public health over reaction. Since the digital age, it has permeated all aspects of historical events,

H
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
Your initial commentary isn't isolated to public health over reaction. Since the digital age, it has permeated all aspects of historical events,

H
It certainly is pervasive. With so much content vying for attention, hyperbole, sensationalized, selective interpretation, and catchy titles, graphics, and video clips seem to rule the day. I almost wonder if an old fashioned, middle of the road (present both sides), real news program could gain a cult following.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
You should stay out of the Open Mic sub-forum, and give us poor Mods a break.
I find that an odd thing for a moderator to joke about. Have I been moderated? If I'm a problem do feel free to ban me.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Humanist

Quote:
I find that an odd thing for a moderator to joke about. Have I been moderated? If I'm a problem do feel free to ban me.
Dirk,

I'm 100% sure that Marty was just taking the sentence he quoted and then added a new and (somewhat) funny twist...no comment on *you* at all.

IMO he should have started with "...you should stay..."rather than the capital You...not meaning "you" at all, of course...but "you" as the people that are posting their misguided and misplaced outrage here with some regularity.

Please re-read what Marty did and simply make it one-sentence.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dirk,

I'm 100% sure that Marty was just taking the sentence he quoted and then added a new and (somewhat) funny twist...no comment on *you* at all.

IMO he should have started with "...you should stay..."rather than the capital You...not meaning "you" at all, of course...but "you" as the people that are posting their misguided and misplaced outrage here with some regularity.

My take on it was similar. More a commentary on people manipulating a conversation for conflict, rather than for sharing views, information, understanding, etc., and how frustrating that was for the mods, as well as those participating sincerely.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
My take on it was similar. More a commentary on people manipulating a conversation for conflict, rather than for sharing views, information, understanding, etc., and how frustrating that was for the mods, as well as those participating sincerely.
Bingo. Nothing to do with Dirk specifically at all.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dirk,

Thanks Larry, sorry for,the misunderstanding.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 AM

This thread about diseases from across the Sea reminds me that I forgot to wish everyone a Happy Columbus Day yesterday. Better late than never.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic